New Packaged Food labelling regulations DEC 2014

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a McDonalds meal over Christmas (yes, I know...) and noticed that the individual food packs no longer show Total Carbs but only Sugar content and even that as a % of RDA. I queried this with McD and they say that due to new EU regs they have to now show Sugar content as well as Fat

"As part of new European legislation which comes into force in December, there are new legal requirements for pre-packed food items and this states that we must now provide sugar and saturated fat content on our packaging. Due to us having limited room to provide all nutritional information, we have taken the decision to remove the protein and carbohydrate content. I’m sorry for any disappointment this may cause."

This is pretty stupid of the EU and not the fault of McD. Anyone know of any use in having just Sugar listed on food packaing? It reflects an incredible ignorance within the EU of nutrition and ignores the needs of diabetics. McD do say as I already knew that their tray sheets have full nutirition info which is excellent.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought they had always to include sugar! All labels on food packets say Total carbs and "of which sugars".

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't want to advertise the amount of carbs in a McD meal either if I were them. Much better just to account for sugar.

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It seems that if they want to put something on the front of the back then they now have to follow EU regs for front of pack information . That doesn't stop them putting the full nutritional info on the back but they don't yet have to. This will be mandatory after 2016
Allergen info does have to be included from last Dec and any labelling must now conform to the requirements (so they can't devise their own front of pack schemes anymore)

From 13 December 2016, processed foods and drinks must display nutritional information (energy, fat, saturates, carbohydrate, sugars, protein, salt) on ‘back of pack’, per 100g or ml. Labels can also give the amount per chosen portion but only in addition to per 100g or ml
‘Front of pack’ labelling remains voluntary and there are new requirements to increase consistency and aid usage.
Where a front of pack nutrition label is used it should consist of either energy alone, or energy, fat, saturates, sugars and salt. No other combination is permitted, so for example it is not possible to only give energy, fat and salt, nor is it possible to add other nutrients to the five, for example fibre

http://www.eurofoodlaw.com/labellin...e-into-force-105263.htm?origin=internalSearch

I double checked that with a UK site, here's what must be on the front of a pack.
  • the name of the food
  • a ‘best before’ or ‘use by’ date (or instructions on where to find it)
  • quantity information
anywhere on the pack can be
  • the name and address of the manufacturer, packer or seller
  • the lot number (or use-by date if you wish)
  • any special storage conditions
  • instructions for use or cooking, if necessary
Nutritional info is again (surprisingly )not compulsory until 2016 unless a health claim is made. When it is there then it has to conform to the regulations.

https://www.gov.uk/food-labelling-and-packaging/food-labelling-what-you-must-show

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I seem to remember that McD's were one of the first fast food chains to include the carb value in their restaurants, when I use to take my children there for birthday treats and such there use to be little cards on the counter with the nutritional information on them, we need more information not less.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I assume that the full info will still be on their website where there is plenty of space. Bit of forward planning and you'll be fine.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Surely their is still enough space on their chip boxes to include carbohydrate values, I've seen smaller packages contain all the information. Although they have tray sheets with the information on this isn't given when you go through the drive through so it's no help at all. And if your travelling and don't have time to stop you may not be able to access the internet to look online for the values. Some people may not know the rules have changed and if they go to McDonald's they may not have had time to pre-plan the meal beforehand.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If using drive through, ask for a tray liner, then keep it in your car. However it's better to get out and stretch legs on a long journey, use loo etc.