New Potential Problem With Metformin

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The most prescribed drug for type 2 diabetes is Metformin. Thought to be the best oral drug because it slows down the production of glucose in the liver rather than just raising insulin levels, and it helps cut down insulin resistance which is what eventually results in type 2 diabetes, and it has been shown to help cholesterol levels. So why did the media not pick up on this recent study. I never could take Metformin but what the study says is quite shocking:
"In the current study, metformin caused the heart metabolism of men to move in an undesirable direction -- burning less sugar and more fats. Chronic burning of fat by the heart, according to Gropler, leads to detrimental changes in the heart muscle, which can lead to heart failure."
"Instead of making heart metabolism more normal in men, metformin alone made it worse, looking even more like a diabetic heart," Gropler said. "But in women, metformin had the desired effect -- lowering fat metabolism and increasing glucose uptake by the heart."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/…/131212123321.htm

Here is a better link to the article: http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/26268.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate to be cynical at a time like this but they probably have a pill for it. Sorry, I am suffering from pill burn out.

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
An interesting result, if it is true that burning fat is detrimental to heart muscle.

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
The most prescribed drug for type 2 diabetes is Metformin. Thought to be the best oral drug because it slows down the production of glucose in the liver rather than just raising insulin levels, and it helps cut down insulin resistance which is what eventually results in type 2 diabetes, and it has been shown to help cholesterol levels. So why did the media not pick up on this recent study. I never could take Metformin but what the study says is quite shocking:
"In the current study, metformin caused the heart metabolism of men to move in an undesirable direction -- burning less sugar and more fats. Chronic burning of fat by the heart, according to Gropler, leads to detrimental changes in the heart muscle, which can lead to heart failure."
"Instead of making heart metabolism more normal in men, metformin alone made it worse, looking even more like a diabetic heart," Gropler said. "But in women, metformin had the desired effect -- lowering fat metabolism and increasing glucose uptake by the heart."
Kimbo1962 ......do you have psychic powers, glad your off the met'

Reactions: 4 people

Vangellis0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When i tried this link got this
Notice
Something Went Wrong
Sorry, there was a problem with this link:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131212123321.htm
You can now continue to this website, or go back to the page you were on before.
Remember: Only follow links from sources you trust.ken

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
link won't open, I'm afraid.

It isn't talking about ketosis, is it? Nutritional ketosis?
Cos I consider that very good for my heart - for a number of reasons...

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
tried again, and got the link to open this time.

Very irritating article. insufficient detail. badly explained.
they talk about 'a diabetic' heart, without explaining what that looks like.
And I understood that the heart prefers to run on fat/ketones rather than glucose.
In which case, Metformin is helping, not hindering.

The article also makes unsubstantiated speculative claims about the difference between male and female heart problems while diabetic.
They may be correct in their claims, but since there is no evidence, how can we know?

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Checked the link, opened fine for me.
" The article also makes unsubstantiated speculative claims about the difference between male and female heart problems while diabetic.
They may be correct in their claims, but since there is no evidence, how can we know?"

If you read the article it says regular testing does not disclose the problem, they had to use imaging of the heart it's self to see the problem of men's hearts vs. women's while taking Metformin. That's the proof they talk about. The study was 78 people, hopefully this will prompt larger scale studies on this issue. In America, so many people have type 2 diabetes scientists are finding it in the fish in major waterways like Lake Michigan. They did some testing of fish in tanks with the same level of Metformin in the tanks as seen in Lake Michigan. They found nerve damage in the fish.
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/metformin_lake_michigan.html

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the wife says metaformin is bad for my heart problems ... So I guess you have to do your own research and make up your own mind !

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Checked the link, opened fine for me.
" The article also makes unsubstantiated speculative claims about the difference between male and female heart problems while diabetic.
They may be correct in their claims, but since there is no evidence, how can we know?"

If you read the article it says regular testing does not disclose the problem, they had to use imaging of the heart it's self to see the problem of men's hearts vs. women's while taking Metformin. That's the proof they talk about. The study was 78 people, hopefully this will prompt larger scale studies on this issue. In America, so many people have type 2 diabetes scientists are finding it in the fish in major waterways like Lake Michigan. They did some testing of fish in tanks with the same level of Metformin in the tanks as seen in Lake Michigan. They found nerve damage in the fish.
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/metformin_lake_michigan.html
The evidence is the results of the cat scans of women and men taking Metformin. Meanwhile the US CDC downplays this, oh really?