Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was told i was pre diabetic a month ago with a GP test at 6.4 borderline, I have cut out most sugary foods now. although for the first 3 weeks i was having a "treat" per week (chocolate bar or cream cake slice) I got myself a monitor 2 days ago and have been pricking myself 5 times a day and keeping logs on a Diabetes M app.
I don't know why the app is saying my levels are high at 4.7 at 9pm at night? please can u give me advice? what am i doing wrong?
1st day
7.30am = 7mmol fasting
9am = 9.1 after half a grapefruit
11.30 = 5.4 after handful of almonds and a coffee with 1 tsp stevia
13.44 = 4.6 after 2 eggs and steamed spinach
3pm = 4.9
4.30 = 5.3 after a 20 minute walk
7pm = 9.4! succumbed to a slice of cake
8.30pm = 8.4 eggplant with homemade tomato sauce and handful brown rice
11pm = 5.6 before bed

my 2nd day as follows decided no sugar or carbs at all (going crazy!)
05.43 woke with a hot flush at 6.3 - yesterday 9.1
7am fasting glucose at 5.8
7.30am I had a coffee with 1 tsp stevia
9am = 6mmol
10.20am = 7.5 after breakfast of broccoli and 100grms of Quinoa for breakfast
2pm = no read 100grms eggplant tomato sauce and quinoa with parmesan grated (got very sleepy )
4pm = 5mmol after walk and shopping
7pm = 5.5mmol - after small dinner of cottage cheese and 20 almonds
9pm = 4.7mmol
hungry!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, it's great you've got yourself a monitor and are testing, are you testing immediately after eating? It's best to test around 1 or 2 hours after eating to see proper effects of food.

Try knock the cake etc on the head as you can see from your results it can have a big impact on bg

Well done on your diet but I'm not surprised your were hungry on day 2 if that's all you ate lol

Reactions: 2 people

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Lol! i know right!
I went shopping today and bought some fish and chicken and all the veg that i am supposedly allowed cheery toms, cale, spring onions, spinach and cheeses for snacks.
I do sometimes not eat much in a day or i fast. but i have done that since my teens and i think that may have created my problem now. i don't eat, then binge. I am overweight because of this. i had a huge love of carbs! ( still do)
so i hope eating more proteins will help the hunger and carb craves will slowly diminish. i found quinoa peeked me. I am also feeling a bit light headed or headachy and had an energy dip after my lunch

I just don't understand why a reading of 4.7 pre be would be considered high blood on this app I'm using.
thanks for the response Mrsass
as u know it can feel really overwhelming and lonely in the beginning. xx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I don't really understand the 4.7 being high thing! What app is that on? Personally I would ignore that lol

Have you had a look at the recipe section on here? If you are stuck on what meals to make with the ingredients you've bought it can be helpful but also to help with a sweet tooth there is some great low carb dessert recipes :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just realised you may not have seen the newbie info that @daisy1 posts for members so I've tagged her to post it for you which you may also find helpful X

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
yeah thanks for all that! I have this great almond ball recipe but i haven't made it since monitoring.
2 cups ground almonds
half an orange squeezed
quarter orange zest
a tbl spoon of coconut oil to bind
u can add grated coconut
add a tsp of date syrup or tsp real stevia to sweeten
they are lovely!
xxx

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
so after hardly eating yesterday - today my fasting read was 5.9 and the DiabeticM app says its still too high!… can anyone recommend any apps to record reads please?

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
before breakfast it was 4.6 2 hours after waking
I am hungry as a mofo does this mean i have to be starving and light headed to get my glucose levels down?
what does this mean? i just don't understand :(

C

catherinecherub

Your app has to be faulty if you are getting acceptable levels and the app is saying they are high. Is there an address that you can email to explain the problem?
Don't starve yourself, use the monitor to see what your levels are rather than relying on the app giving you false information..

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
yes i think ill change apps but i need to find out if i can export the data to move it across to new one or ill feel like I'm starting all over again to get a long term read average. ill see if i can contact them… thanks x
i just wondered if my metabolism is the issue and why i have to be really hungry in order to get below 5 regardless of the app. is this normal?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is fats that curb the hunger. Perhaps you could consider adding some good fats to your meals? That should satiate you better than protein - and be aware that a percentage of your protein will also convert to sugar in the blood stream.

I don't use a diabetes app at all. I simply record my food, levels, and notes on an excel sheet. That way I can control things better.

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
100g cottage cheese and a slice of ham and 6 almonds for bf = after eat read 4
ill wait to see after 2 hrs.
i think ill change apps its still telling me its too high lol. disheartening.
ill eat more cheese and eggs and avocado? what other fats are there?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Butter, full fat yogurts, cream (lovely in coffee or on strawberries), olive oil to name some. :)

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
oh yeah i guess i meant food wise not condiments types like oil and butter but yes i agree more plain yoghurts :)

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I haveworked out the problem! My targets were wrong! My low gluc my hyper and hypo etc .now im almost always green and 10% orange. Yaay! Actually the diabetes M app on google play is bloody excellent! Gives u everything u need honestly. Id be lost without it

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When it comes to dietary fats @Stevia_queen - there is nothing like - actual fat! Pork crackling, keeping the lamb chop in the pan so the fat sizzles, spicing up and relishing eating the skin of roast poultry for instance. I believe eating fried or roast animal fat pieces is the same as eating lollies/candy used to feel for me. Just wonderful! And I wonder if that is the eating sensation candy most replicates. Anyway - if you haven't done it - give it a try!

It seems too our species discovered how good organ meats were for us a long time ago, and most peoples insured that they ate a fair amount - much much much more than we do now - of animal intestines, liver, kidneys, reproductive organs - you name it! Loaded with healthy fat, vitamins and minerals. Pate is about as far as I can go at the mo' - but I will start to 'hide' organ meats in my meat dishes, and see how that contributes to health. (It's gut biome stuff too - those foods feed the really good little greeblies that contribute massively to our health, and lack of it - from our own guts.)

But you don't need to go that far perhaps - just finding a way to eat LCHF and feel full? Definitely the fats. I strongly suggest you read Volek and Phinney's The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living - it was suggested by a couple of low carbers in here for me to read, and I am deeply grateful for it.

Cook in coconut oil and olive oil - and you like nuts and cheese - so ramp up your eating those. And yes, definitely - double cream. Yum!