Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wouldn't be seen dead wearing one of those.

Although the concept is great - it's just so dog ugly!

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Concept is good.

Personally, i'd never wear it. I just don't like the design.

I like to be able to choose who knows i'm diabetic, not have a giant great sign on my arm saying 'wohoo look at me i have a disease'.
I am getting a Cadeceus tattoo'd on my arm, with some relevant details.
I can't forget that.

Fujifilm

Its not something I would want to wear everyday because of how it looks, big and chunky but probably good for children although again maybe not trendy enough for them to want to be seen with it on. If I was out on a bike ride or something of that nature I might wear it.

Also I (my personal opinion) think its more about advertising the website than a medical alert. :( The wording MEDICAL INFO or MEDICAL ALERT should be the priority not diabetes.co.uk

For that reason I am not investing and I am out. :lol:

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I expect that this product will appeal to and be most useful for those people with diabetes who are uncertain about managing their condition and need the reassurance, or for people to wear on special occasions such as participating in sports, nights out, travel, for children etc. To many of our well-controlled forum members this will be irrelevant. To others, perhaps not.

Also I (my personal opinion) think its more about advertising the website than a medical alert.

I absolutely refute this, however. The Alert ID comes with a three year telephone service which is what the customer is paying for. If someone visits the forum because of it, all the better. The more visitors we get, the better the forum becomes as a free resource. I fail to see where the problem is for this site to get advertising providing the community gets this free platform? In fact, there is a fair bit of hypocrisy in using the resources and then condemning their promotion, is there not? Thankyou for your insight though, Theo Paphitis.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
No problems at all with the advertising.
Good idea.

Personally, i think ALL diabetics at risk of hypo should have them. No matter how well controlled you are, you will have a hypo. If you have one when you are alone and cannot communucate this fact, there needs to be something that medics can use.
No problem if you never need it, but if you do and you don't have one, could be veeeery bad.

supergob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in agreement with the other posters, I too think it unnecessary to wear a wristband informing all that I am a diabetic. I also have a medallion which contains a full list of medication and who to contact in the case of an emergancy, in my wallet there is also a card with the same information and in my bus pass card there is another. I also carry a tube of glucoGel and my wife has a hypodermic with Glocogel hypo kit for extreme emergencies.

I must also admit that I too think that this site is more about attracting customers for the large conglomerate's, for instance the competition for a Bayer test meter is questionable. I entered and received a letter stating that I had entered after time and the competition had ended, but they were giving me a meter anyway. Then I saw the site was advertising the same competition and still are, so I basically think that it is to attract information and new customers. Bayer are in direct competition with Roache Diagnostic, who produce the Accu-Check range. Every time I attend the Diabetic Clinic at my Local Hospital, I see newly diagnosed diabetics with new meters, companies supply Hospitals and Doctors Clinics to give out, because they are fully aware that the profit is not in the meter, but in the needles and test strips. Accu-Cheks sticks cost in the region of £32 for a box of 50 strips. I have been using their product for over 20 years and I still have their original meter, which is basically the same as their latest meter, only difference is the strips, newer models always increase the price on the NHS, so why do they allow it. I also fully expect that I will be contacted on regular intervals to seek information and offering new and better meters, I have already been approached to fill out a questionnaire on what I thought of the meter.

howie

i'm with Celtic Piskie, i like to choose who knows i''m DB + i also care what i look like so i wouldn't wear that.

howie

Fujifilm

Administrator said:
Also I (my personal opinion) think its more about advertising the website than a medical alert.

I fail to see where the problem is for this site to get advertising providing the community gets this free platform? In fact, there is a fair bit of hypocrisy in using the resources and then condemning their promotion, is there not? Thankyou for your insight though, Theo Paphitis.

How can you call me a hypocrite? I gave my opinion for which you asked for
I thought it would be interesting to see what our forum thought of the concept and the product.

I have no problem with advertising the forum and not condeming the promotion I am actually all for that. (Maybe I could have worded what I wrote a little better to expalin what I meant.) Its just my opinion that the centre of the band should have the wording medical info in big letters and the outside have the wording diabetes.co.uk - the importance I would have thought is the "medical info" part of the wrist band thats what you want someone finding you unconcious to notice.

My main concern is someone see the wrist band and think you are advertising a website and therefore take no notice of it. If the highlight is the words medical info they are possibly going to take more notice.

I actually asked a non-diabetic friend what he thought it was (just showed him the picture) he said ... a wrist band advertising diabetes.co.uk like the charity ones you see people wear. Its only when I said look again that he realised what it was. So I know its not just me!

The idea I like, the look of the product , I don't like (To be fair without actually seeing one its dificult to judge) the wording arrangement I don't like.

FordPrefect

I like the idea but I would want something discrete without so much branding. I should really look at doing something like this but tbh that thing is big, its ugly and it tells everyone I meet whooohooo I got a disease I'd rather not advertise that to everyone I meet.

mumm1

I would be interested in this for my 3 year old, however I do think it looks a bit like an advertising bracelet, and that the ALERt or MEDICAL INFO bit should be a bit more pronounced. I also initially thought it was quite expensive but as it includes the three years service it is probably ok. If the bracelet gete lost though (as is likely to happen with a child), a discounted replacement should be available.

Doczoc

Fujifilm said:
For that reason I am not investing and I am out. :lol:

Priceless!!!

With regard to the band, it's difficult to see how it could be made discreet enough that people would wear it, and yet alerts others to it's purpose! Look too clunky for me, and too bold, but then I also guess that that is the point!

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?

C

catherinecherub

If it saves one life then surely it is worth it. Lots of people don't like the design or size. Do they use an alternative or is it something that they will now think about :?:

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
I think the main problem is, it doesn't look like a medic alert.
It looks like any other charity / awareness bracelet.

It looks like something designed to make people aware of this website, rather than the fact someone is diabetic.

You can do both, nothing against that. But looking at it, I wouldn't say it looked like an alert bracelet. Which means i wouldn't trust it in an emergency. In a dark club, night time etc.. I wouldn't be sure that the medics would pick up on it.

Fujifilm

catherinecherub said:
If it saves one life then surely it is worth it. Lots of people don't like the design or size. Do they use an alternative or is it something that they will now think about :?:

I have thought about one of those ID bracelet things, but if I think if someone found me passed out they would look in my wallet to try and find out who I was, in there it says I am diabetic and what they should do before pinching my credit cards and cash. :lol:

Also I would love to be able to put the same info on my mobile phone so when the main screen comes up it says I am diabetic etc. Because again I think one of the first things someone would check is your mobile to see if there was an "obvious" number to contact. Mum, Dad, Doctor etc.

Fujifilm

kewgirl said:
The alert bracelet featured on diabetes.co.uk is somewhat different from the Diabetes Alert bracelet featured / available directly on / from the Alert ID website.

http://www.alertid.co.uk/people/diabetes-alert.php

Perfect, that says what it does on the tin. :mrgreen:

Which suggests, what I said in my first post for which I got called hypocritical by the administrator
I (my personal opinion) think its more about advertising the website than a medical alert.
to be true. :D