New pump

susieq987

Medtronic pump,
Hello I'm on insulin injections at the moment but going onto pump in July. Has anyone else heard of the Paradigm Real-Time, which is an insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor. I windered if anyone has it or even if its available yet, as I'm going to be using the Accu-chek spirit combo.

Thanks

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Here is a link to the Medtronic website: http://tinyurl.com/23mtuu which has details of this system.

I started on it last July, having previously been on the Accu-Chek Spirit, and after initial teething problems find it very good. It's primarily an insulin pump, with CGM as an additional optional component. In the months I've had use of the sensors, the system has saved me from several potentially devastating hypos, and also allowed me to fine-tune my insulin delivery for basal and bolus levels.

The only difficulty is that the sensors are not currently funded by the NHS, and they are extremely expensive (£40 each, last for 3 days!). But, it is simplicity itself to double or even triple the life of the sensor, so if you have a brave consultant, i.e. one that puts patient care above financial considerations, you might get lucky with supplies! My consultant is one of this rare breed, he and I are currently battling with the local PCT to secure permanent funding for me.

Any questions just yell!