new question

cris07

Can i just ask anybody whats the best tests to get to diagnose diabetes? Is the hbac1 one the best and the one that will confirm or not? Thanks

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If it is just to diagnose diabetes there is a glucose tolerance test or a blood test. You can also test elevated ketones via a urine analysis. I you want to discover what type of diabetes you have, not always easy but a GAD antibody test will tell you if you have the auto-immune type.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) and HBa1C blood test are the usual tests. The HBa1C is probably the best overall. If the reading is above a certain level e.g. around 6.5% in old money then you are diabetic. I was diagnosed by my GP using a urine stick (not the best technique) but if it finds sugar in the urine then you are diabetic.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Cris07,
As Diabell says in the earlier posting the HbA1c test is now becoming the standard for establishing if someone has diabetes if their reading is or exceeds 6.5% and indicates what is their average Blood Glucose level over 12 weeks prior to their having taken the blood test. This will usually need to be confirmed with either a 'Fasting Blood/Glucose' test or where there may be some doubt the more involved test which involves drinking a set quantity of glucose after having fasted, and then measuring the resultant blood/glucose responce that occurs over a set time perod with further blood samples (the OGTT test).

Results from the HbA1c test, together with either one of the other two tests will then establish whether the individual has diabetes or not. This will usually be undertaken where the individual hasn't had a sudden relapse that nessesitated urgent hospital treatment as would often be the case where the indivual has Type 1 diabetes.

Where the diabetes has been developing slowly over a lengthy time period (often many years) the individual may not yet have reached the threshold that defines that they are diabetic (pre-diabetic) and in many instances with a change in diet/lifestyle (excercise) they are frequently able to reverse their likelyhood of going on to develope diabetes at some later stage and in these circumstances they should considere that they have been lucky in responding to this 'Wake Up' call.

Hope this confirms and helps - Lazybones

cris07

Thanks for the reply, so if iv had a hbac1 test which was 5.1 in may but iv still been getting these symptoms maybe as long as i eat a healthy diet and stick to avtivity i can avoid this? Its just i went to the doctor today explained my symptoms hunger, weeing, tingling and he said he wouldnt do another test for a year. So is what your saying type 2 diabetes develops over many years? Maybe my symptoms arnt diabetes related or id have had a higher result?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, an HBa1C of 5.1 is really good and would imply very good blood sugar control. Your symptoms would most likely be due to something else. The GP would normally wait a year with a good result like yours but if you are still worried then you could always have a random finger prick test at the local pharmacy or even buy a glucose meter and test occasionally