New Study by Oxford Researchers identifies Specific Genetic Markers for Type 2 Diabetes

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I think this sort of research is important but doesn't take away the influence of the environment which may have a bigger influence (people with high risk according to genetic markers found so far don't by any means all get type 2) .This sort of research is still in it's infancy.
The variation that they have homed in on in this study is one already known to increase the risk of T2 and here they have tried to link a known genetic variation with it's function trying to work out the mechanisms that may go wrong.
For anyone who has tested then If you have 2 copies of the G allele of Rs10830963 ,the SNP mentioned in the paper's abstract then according to SNpedia your risk of T2 is increased by 3.1 times that of normal.
There are links to a long list of studies that have looked at this variation and what they have found so far (sometimes contradictory ) They already have referenced this new study

To put it in perspective though, my husband has 1 risk allele and so may have an increased risk of 2.7 times normal which is not that much less than having 2 risk alleles, so far, at aged 64 he has no glucose problems .At least one of his parents would have had a G allele but neither was diabetic. I have a 'normal' risk with CC but have T1 so it's not really a relief!