New to Diabetes and confused

Hi,
My husband has been diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. he doesn't have to take drugs and has been told that he can manage it with diet. He had a heart attack 6 years ago and is quite a bit overweight. I have persuaded him to join Weight Watchers with me and we have started an excercise regime. I have printed off quite a bit of information regarding diet which we have yet to study but I would like to know how we can keep tabs on his blood sugar. I understand that we can get monitor ? How does that work?

This is quite scary stuff!

I haven't searched the site yet so I'm off to do that now - I'm very glad I found you and any advice will be very welcome.

Elaine

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Browse the forum, you'll find lots of good advice although a lot can be conflicting as differant things work for differant people.

As for monitors they come with full easy to follow instructions, but basically you prick your finger, a drop of blood goes into the machine and gives you a numerical reading. This can then be used to find out what food sends your blood sugur up. You can then avoid what gives you highs. Test before food and about 2 hours after.

The GI Diet works for me along with reducing carbs a little and plenty of exercise.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum ,Elaine,it is very confusing at first,please get your husband to come and read the forum as well ,then you can both be involved with his diabetic care.Ask his diabetes nurse or doctor for a blood test monitor.Some doctors /nurses are not keen to give them to type 2's but they are absolutely essential for finding out which foods affect your blood sugars.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care ... ucose.html