new to forum and help needed

nena

a quick hi to all members, and hopefully help with a question. I suffer with itchy skin, i thought this was due to hormonal problems, but its been pointed out to me that its also a symptom of diabetes. what causes this and what can be done to stop it, its worse at night and evenings. advice appreciated.

nena

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi Nena

Have you been to see your doctor? Itchy skin could be due to a number of things. Are you having any other symptoms of diabetes - see this site for more details.

Val

lopper

hello nena
when i first had t2
took metformen
got itchy all over
itwent after few weeks
how long have u got it
take care

Pattidevans

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nena</i>
<br />a quick hi to all members, and hopefully help with a question. I suffer with itchy skin, i thought this was due to hormonal problems, but its been pointed out to me that its also a symptom of diabetes. what causes this and what can be done to stop it, its worse at night and evenings. advice appreciated.

nena
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Nena

This could be due to dry skin, caused by dehydration, which is a common symptom of diabetes. Or, it could be due to thrush which is a yeast infection and just loves high Blood sugars. Of course it could be due to dry skin caused by central heating at this time of year. The only way to know for sure is to go to your Drs and ask for tests for diabetes which will not harm you at all and an early diagnosis, if it is diabetes, can only be to your own good.

Good luck and tell us how you get on.

Patti
On Levemir/Novorapid. Last hba1c 5.3

Fugs

I have to say that Patti is right to mention thrush. I have found that this was (and still is:() the cause of my itching. Oh how I wish I had shares in canestan lol. My other half threatened me with mittens complete with the string attached so they went through the arms of whatever I was wearing after I started scratching him when I was asleep. I've found that a cold flannel and loads of moisturiser help and he gets a decent nights sleep too lol

>^..^<

ThinType2

Hi

I'm new to forum so bear with me, I was itchy and sore for two years. I though it was hormonal but after numerous blood tests/swabs etc the doctors could not find anything wrong. I was in agony most of the time and could not go swimming, wear jeans or let my partner anywhere near me, if you know what I mean.

I am young (relatively!) and thin so my doctor would not take me seriously when I suggested diabetes (even though I had gestational diabetes 10 years ago) After two miscarriages they finally took a blood test and it was discovered my sugar levels were sky high.

Within half an hour of my first insulin injection my soreness and itching went completely and has never come back!

I would suggest getting tested, if you can't do that cut down your sugar intake and see if that makes a difference

nena

thanks all,i do have a hormonal condition, and thought it was this, so both are being checked, mostly i itch on shins back of neck, hair, forehead and arms and back/shoulders. I wear old fashioned moisturiser gloves at night to stop me scratching my face in the night, bit like a baby with sleep-mittens! i have always kept my nails short but have strong fingernails (to the envy of my friends) that grow quick so my problem is keeping them short. will let you know of the outcome thanks for help so far!:)

nena