New to forum

John H

Hello

I am new to this forum, though not to diabetes, having had T2 for many years, control has been variable and I've suffered a number of long term complications which I'm sure your not anxious to be bored with here.

My control slipped a few months ago (usual stuff - long hours, not watching diet, no exercise etc) and I had a long term Hb reading of 10. I've recently got this back down to 7.2 and am now knuckling down to getting a grip once more, following a recent spell in hospital with a viral infection. Readings in hospital were never above 6/7, and I've maintained this at home over the last week, with the aid of a well-controlled sensilble diet. Until today that is, when my fasting level was 14, since when it has remained stubbornly at 13. I had a near hypo last night and took a couple of glucose tablets followed by a small amount of muesli and went to bed with a reading of 7.2. Normal fasting levels are around 7 - I'd like them to be lower, but am happy so far with progress apart from today's blip.

However, I can't understand what's happening today - have control tested my meter, all is normal. I had a light breakfast - meusli, and a similarly light lunch, chicken and steamed veg with just a couple of small new potatoes.

I know I should have got used to this after all these years, but I still struggle to understand these high readings which occur for no apparent reason (and I'm not deluding myself about the food) and it tends to send me into something of a tail spin. I then start obsessively testing and get into a vicious circle of testing and worrying abouttthe results. This is only one day, I know, but if anyone has any suggestions, I can assure you they will be most gratefully received.

Sorry to have waffled on, but I have just discovered this forum and it looks like being something of a lifeline, so I shall ceratinly be visiting on a very regular basis.

John H

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya john and welcome :D
it may have been over feeding the hypo or you may be brewing a virus which would cause this, if it carries on and you dont seem to have any infections etc go see your dr/diabetic nurse as youre medication may need looking at,
stick around and keep asking the questions :)

John H

Totsy

Many thanks indeed for this. The virus/infection was the first thing that I thought of, but having had a very nasty experience in hospital with a viral infection, you can imagine how this has sent me into a panic - I thought (and they confirmed) it had all gone.

I'm on a variety of new (non-diabetes) medication as aresult of the hospital spell, so it might be tied up with that. I have a clinic review next Wednesday, so can raise it then - it's just that the suddenness of this increase is a bit curious. Things were spot on until my hypo last night - and normally there's not that much 'hangover' from one.

John H

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
mmm, as u say it could be the new meds either, keep an eye on it and as u say mention it on weds,
good luck and have a good weekend :D

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
John H said:
<snip>
I know I should have got used to this after all these years, but I still struggle to understand these high readings which occur for no apparent reason
G'day John

Just two observations.

The current high may be related to inflammation or infection, but if it continues see your doctor ASAP. Whenever something changes that quickly and that much it is wise to check if it continues.

I think your menu could do with some major changes. Please read this and consider applying it to see why I say that (click on it): Test, Review, Adjust

John H

Alan

Many thanks for this, I do appreciate it. I am studying your site with great interest (wish it and this forum had been around 20 odd years ago). I too, have to lose a substantial amount of weight; when recently admitted to hospital I was 124kg. At 6'1", that's ludicrously obese. I'l be weighed on Wed and hope to be under 120kg. My eventual goal is to get to 95kg over a year. I've lost loads before, and in the usual way, it's crept back on. This time it's going off for good - nature has given me her final warning.

In fact, at first glance, your food advice made me feel rather reassured in a way. The fact that it is all sound common sense is not a surprise. I've not got a sweet tooth, don't fry anything, am not a butter/spread eater, don 't have bread in the flat (because I'd eat it all) and comforatbly get enough good veg and salads. My problem is that I ate far far too much for my level of activity. When the cricket and rugby stopped, the eating really didn't.

On to my immediate concern, my fasting levels have continued to be high, though go down in the day (e.g.post lunch 8.0, pre-dinner 4.6, post-dinner 5.5, pre-bed 7.0). I am getting out and walking more, so am getting some exercise in, and this will increase subject to heart consultant's ok on Wed. What's puzzling (and worrying) me is that I recently spent 10 days in hospital, where I was told that my long term HB level was 7.1. Whilst in hospital, I never got a reading above 7 - usually around 4/5/6.

The variables since I came out of hospital are that I am obviously taking more exercise than simply sitting in a bedside chair with the occasional stroll to the coffee shop, and my meal times have shifted - principally the evening meal which would arrive at between 5.15 and 5.30 in hospital, but which I tend to have around 7.30 - 8.30 at home. Injection time of Novorapid is adjusted accordingly. Logicall, one would think that increased exercise = lower levels, but it's not necessarily proving to be so in practice.

Anyway, off to the clinic on Wed, so might know a bit more then, but any suggestions, questions are more than welcome. Again, sorry to have taken up so much space waffling on, but after years of more or less muddling through, I'm determined to knock this on the head once and for all.

John H

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Hello again John.

I know where you're at - I'm 6' and I was 117Kg at diagnosis.

Don't just concentrate on that weight loss section. That was a starting point for me, but I modified that with time and feedback from my meter. As you go on you'll see I gradually stopped worrying quite so much about fats and became much more aware of carbs and their effect on my BGs.

I chose my sig with some care. Everything in moderation:)

Best wishes. I don't often get enough time to drop in on this group, but I'll always answer direct questions.