new to insuline. do I eat carbs or not ??

ben1972x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just started my insulin. I am on humalin & humalog.
Humalog I inject first thing in the morning 16 on the pen.
Humalin I take 6 on the pen 3 times a day after meals.
I have been doing an lchf diet but can I still do this o insulin. My sugars never went down on the diet and were still spiking.
Do I eat carbs or not ??

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You can stay on the same diet if it suits you but keep testing regularly to ensure your BG levels don't begin to drop too low. If you want to add carbs, you can do this too, again, keep testing and record results. If you're new to insulin, there's a good chance the number of units you inject will slowly adjust to suit your diet/lifestyle. Once you get the hang of it and if you choose to, you could talk to your doc/nurse about changing to basal/bolus regime where you adjust your insulin to what you eat. It can offer more flexibility. Your choice though. Good luck, Mo

Reactions: 2 people

ben1972x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You can stay on the same diet if it suits you but keep testing regularly to ensure your BG levels don't begin to drop too low. If you want to add carbs, you can do this too, again, keep testing and record results. If you're new to insulin, there's a good chance the number of units you inject will slowly adjust to suit your diet/lifestyle. Once you get the hang of it and if you choose to, you could talk to your doc/nurse about changing to basal/bolus regime where you adjust your insulin to what you eat. It can offer more flexibility. Your choice though. Good luck, Mo

thank you for the advice.