1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New to Metaformin, feeling rough!

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by Trikerider, May 28, 2019.

1. BOY14

BOY14 · Member

I have read your post with interest as I have upped to two Metformin a day this Tuesday gone. I am now starting to feel rough, have changed my diet. Will persevere with it though. One thing I don't understand is a lot have said with diet and Metformin they have reversed type 2, but how does a doctor know to take someone off Metformin surely it was that medication lowering the sugar also.

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

@BOY14 Metformin has not been noted for its ability to reverse type 2 diabetes in the past, the new factor, slowly dawning, is that for a long time people have been reversing diabetes by eating low carb like they used to do before medication was introduced. Dr Atkins saw and wrote about low carbing reversing diabetes back in the 1970s, and for the next 30 years, whilst some who should have known better put their hands over their ears and sang la-la-la very loudly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Expert

Just a little bit. It doesn't do particularly much about the carbs you ingest, after all... Just suppresses appetite, increases insulin sensitivity some, and tells your liver not to dump too much glucose. It's all little bits of this and that, not a cure-all of anything, really. It can help, yes. But it doesn't make the dent a diet does. If you overhaul your diet entirely, and cut out carbs for the most part... That's a lot more effective. I haven't been on any medication for 5 years now and still remain in the normal range. Same is true for many here. (And in my book, you haven't quite reversed anything if you're still on medication. To me, and that's personal, reversed is being a-symptomatic and unmedicated. Though some might take metformin for other health benefits though, as it's supposed to be good for a number of things aside from diabetes management)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Debmcgee

Debmcgee Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Metformin is a bit of a trickster. It removes the glucose in the blood stream and moves it to the organs so yes, it does reduce BG BUT it just moves the problem elsewhere. It will not deplete stores of glucose nor will it enable people to eat whatever they want.

The true way of beating diabetes is to treat the root cause and not the symptom. Docs seem to focus on the symptom - higher BG - when actually the root cause is poor diet with too many foods that metabolise as glucose. Our bodies do not need glucose at all - it is not an essential macronutrient. Fat and protein are and that’s where the magic happens. Reduce the carbs SIGNIFICANTLY and Over the next few months, blood glucose will fall. Add exercise and the body will clear out the glucose faster.

There is no magic pill. It’s a lifestyle disease which should be treated by improvements in lifestyle and not medication which only delays the progress or leads to other complications like heart and kidney disease. I know I’d rather sort my lifestyle out over meds.

Having said that, I’m human and I’ve just started met as I’ve really let it all go but am on week three of keto and walking. I hope I can come off met in six months to a year and stick with healthier life choices. I need to stay on this wagon.

5. Iswole

Iswole · Member

I don't seem to understand metformin again. Take it at night, the following morning the BG still reads like 6.something

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook