New to the forum:) type 1 and 11 weeks pregnant worried advice and reassurance please

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello :)
Iv just joined but have also read the thread , a bit of background info about me - I'm 24 years old , been type 1 for 16 years now (where has the time gone!) Iv had two early miscarriages due to badly /uncontrolled diabetes, even though I took control when I got a positive test , sadly those pregnancies never worked out . Anyways like a lot of people Iv never been the perfect diabetic and I admit that ,over the years Iv tried to pretend I don't have diabetes and I literally didn't test my sugars for about 5 years I took insulin on a guess dose ! Awful I know !! And I wonder why I had two miscarriages ... Anyways I have a 6 year old son and managed my sugars fine because I knew it wasn't just about me, I had no problems in pregnancy apart from going hypo a lot ..but docs told me that affects me not baby ... Anyhow my son was born via induction vaginally at 38 weeks weighing a good weight (not too big) at a 7lb 3oz so I was ecstatic and his sugars were fine after birth too ....anyway fast forward to December last year that's when I last had my miscarriage (planned pregnancy but obv not tight control as I needed) from that point we stopped ttc and I took reins on my health I started testing 10+ a day , carb counting etc ... I didn't go to any pre conception appointments ...I find I work better not under pressure ... But all in all my control was and is alot better!! I conceived in September this year so 9 months after my miscarriage , I started taking folic acid (not yet the 5mg but chemist said until I get them to take 13 folic acids a day which is equivalence of 5mg) I booked in with docs who faxed my hospital team to see me urgently , I told her I need 5mg folic acid but she said she wasn't sure and she would leave it to the team! I just carried only taking my 5mg in 13 tablet form anyways... I then booked a private scan for 6 weeks which went well dated me 6 weeks 3 days with heartbeat This was huge for me as my two mc were blighted ovums where a sac had free but babys didn't form ... Anyways two weeks later my team contacted me (8weeks preg) and I went for my appointment etc I told them the good news of my sugar control and they were very happy , my hba1c was 11 last year!! And is now 35(5.2) so that is ideal !!...however they arnt happy with me riding my sugars on the lower side (I am) again they said babys fine but they're looking out for me first hand ... I'm choosing to ignore this and carry on as I am with a hba1c of 35 I'm pretty happy :) anyways I had a scan last week at 10+3 weeks and baby was fine ... But nurse really worried me saying there's still a risk of miscarriage :-( and they will have to see if baby had any abnormality at my 13 week scan which is in 2 weeks... I'm worried Iv been so sick that Iv not kept my folic down ...so worried that I could miscarry or have disabilities in my baby :( my control around conception wasn't AS tight as now but still not awful ...I'm beating myself up ... And now the day before my ten week scan my puking stopped and Iv not been sick in 6 days which has really worried me after what nurse told me ! Is it normal for sickness to stop at ten weeks and a few days? With my son I was sick the whole way through so I'm majorly worrying :( I also only took one folic acid 400mg of folic with him and he's fine ... But every pregnancy is different and I'm so so worried Iv harmed my baby ... I don't really know what I'm asking I guess just looking for a bit of reassurance please of ladies with not 100% tight control at conception (mine wasn't awful though!) and baby was ok? Also what are the chances of miscarriage now ? Iv read so much on missed miscarriage I'm going mad , I'm so vigilant now I wake up 2 hourly through the night to test ! And yes am now on 5mg and taking this also sorry for the huge random ramble xxx

annis54

Just saw your post. Try not to worry too much. Your risk of miscarriage is small. This is because most babies that are miscarried before 13 weeks don't have a heartbeat at the 6 weeks scan. Yours did. Since you had a scan at 10 weeks your baby is likely to be fine.

Also worry won't help your blood pressure so try not to worry at all. You should see the doctor weekly though to keep an eye on you for other problems related to type 1 diabetes. My daughter attended a clinic every Friday from when she was 13 weeks.

My daughter spent the entire pregnancy on bed rest so I have first hand experience of a very difficult pregnancy with someone who had diabetes (and very low kidney function) who had a live healthy baby to take home.

Best wishes for a safe and happy delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Tilly_S I wouldn't worry about thr comment about miscarriages. It's correct that in theory the risk still exists, BUT it's just a risk and it doesn't mean you'll have one. Concentrate instead on how well you've done and how far you've got :) It could just be the person who told you that was rather unsympathetic. I had an early miscarriage yet no one went on about miscarriages during my appointments.

There are lots of ladies here who had higher than ideal HbA1Cs at conception and yet went on to have perfectly healthy babies :)

My advice is to try to relax as much as possible, eat well, keep hydrated and think positively :) You've been successful before and you can do it again :)

Regarding the sickiness, that was a concern for me in my last pregnancy - I felt it had suddenly eased off and that scared me. But it was just the way it was. Nothing bad happened. I gave birth to a healthy little boy. In each of my three pregnancies the nausea has been different, so don't worry about that too much. The more you think about symptoms like that, the more you convince yourself that something is wrong. I know because I've done that too. It's hard but just try to put your fears to one side as much as possible.

And congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Reactions: MelissaC

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou so much for some replies ladies :) I'm having my weekly appointments with diabetic team at the hospital and attending them all , I just worry so much about baby having disabilities etc I didn't think about any of this with my son as I was only 17 when I had him ... I'm confident I managed that pregnancy fine and he was born perfectly thankfully ! I'm just a bit older and a bit more aware of all the risks this time around ..I guess I have the same worries as everybody here it's just so nice to find a forum with other ladies who can relate :) Iv irdered a Doppler in hopes to reassure myself until my scan as these two weeks will drag! Hoping my sickness has gone due to placenta taking over rather than anything bad here , also Iv been given aspirin ..I'm really not sure about taking them... I havnt got any known clotting issues so if I took them I'd rather do it further on in pregnancy to reduce risk of pre eclampsia ...what's your opinions please? Iv also asked about going on a pump but they don't want too and I have no idea why! I feel it would make life a lot easier! Xx

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was very dubious about taking the aspirin, but after reading the research I took it from 13 weeks until the end of pregnancy. I don't have any clotting issues either, but my research and a chat with my obstetrician convinced me :)

I took a gastro resist one from Boots and had no problems with it.

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou I think il start from second tri I think too just wary this early Will update at my dating scan in two weeks :) praying all is well .. X

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou I think il start from second tri I think too just wary this early Will update at my dating scan in two weeks :) praying all is well .. X

I dont remember exactly when I started mine, but the OB told me 13 weeks but I left it a little longer - maybe 13 and 1/2 or 14 weeks just to be sure.

If you do get a Doppler, bear in mind that it can be hard to hear the heartbeat early, so don't panic at all if you can't find it. Although they advertise that they can pick it up from 11 or 12 weeks, often the baby is in a position that means it can't really be heard till 18+ weeks. It's also heard to pick it out from the other sounds in the uterus and abdomen. You'd be surprised how noisy it is in there : D

Take care and keep relaxed. X