New to the Site, - can't get doses right!

Hello, i'm new to this site but this is my second time now with gestational diabetes. I have 'impaired glucose tolerance' I think, when i'm not pregnant but have never been treated for this. I started taking the insulin for meals and the slow acting insulin at night, for this pregnancy now, much sooner that in the last, - at around 18 weeks.

My BS readings without the insulin, [and just eating low or no carb meals, no fruit etc] were boarderline, i.e. around 6.8 about 2 hours after eating and morning fasting readings of approx 5.6. I find now that i'm taking the insulin, i seem to jump from one high to a low, as i try and get the dose right depending on what i eat. Also the fast acting insulin seems to stay in my body and work for 3 hours plus, meaning very suddenly i get readings of 2.3 and the hypos that come with that, whilst 2 hours after eating, that reading would have been 7.5 or something, implying i need to inject a higher dose.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
love the site, have already learnt quite a lot, just from reading what people have to say.
thanks,
Jane.