New to this and so......

Toms Grandma

Can someone give me some insight please.........I start of in the mornings between 6.2 and 6.8 have breakfast about 8.30am, which is porridge with fruit.....40grams oats,2 canderel,boiled water, microwaved with a little milk once cooked, 2 hours after breakfast reading is 6.3 have just been out for a walk.....30 mins average walk then a bit of shopping then 20 mins brisk walk. By the time I get back home, at 12.45 I am feeling 'wobbly, shaky' and my blood reads 4.8. Diagnosed just before Christmas, diet only at the moment. This has happened before when I have been out .....a: should I be having something mid morning, am I leaving it too long between food. b: why do I feel wobbly at 4.8? Is this normal......

Having read more about carbs and things I wonder if the porridge has too much carb and I need to cut back on that......Generally for the rest of the day I am very low carb, i.e. no bread, pots,pasta or rice etc. I have gone from a overnight fasting reading of 8.5 to low 6's so think I am probably going in the right direction, but any advice will be gratefully received. I do not have porridge every day, its 50/50 other days I have egg, or egg and bacon.
Many thanks
Wendy

louiseb

what you are describing may be a false hypo if you have been running high for along time prior to diagnosis then when your levels drop to near normal levels you can feel like your hypo when your not.
it will take awhile for to adjust to being at lower levels.
if your blood sugar ever falls below 4 then have some fast acting carbs like 2 glucotabs.
as for the porridge some people can tolerate it some cant it seems by your readings that your can tolerate it ok.
porridge is a slow acting carb in that it releases energy slowly.
I think maybe the reason wht you felt abit wobbly and just my opinion is you were too active and did not have enough to eat maybe a try snack next time before rushing around.
if your concerned speak to your dsn

Toms Grandma

Many thanks for that, thank goodness for this forum and its members. Knowledge is all and I can work with that. Thanks louiseb.

louiseb

your welcome for the reply :D
if you have any questions just keep asking there are many helpful people on this forum who have more experince of diabetes than me and are very helpful and knowledge so just keep asking.
this forum helped me alot when I was first daignosed

Cowboyjim

Four hours on 40 g of porridge? Is that enough food for such an expedition? I am only an amateur but I suspect not.
I usually have two breakfasts. First something with fruit... yoghurt or porridge about 8 am or earlier. At least five mins on the cross trainer. Then an omlette with plenty of veg meat and cheese no later than 11. Then at least half an hour fairly intensive bike riding etc. I am a middle aged man over 6 foot and 11 stone so.... I reckon even this is borderline. BTW my BS when I got back about noon today was 5.5.
8)