new to this and swimming

thedriver

I got accu chek spirit, on Monday, so I have been on this for nearly a week.

This w/e I stayed at a hotel with a pool...and got advise that it was ok to be disconnected from the pump for upto 2 hours but no more.

Followed this advise but thought 1hr 45mins tops...this and blood sugar felt high.

Did a blood test and this was 20....no wonder felt high.

Couple of questions....is this sort of rise normal...I was 8 when disconnected, (I had eaten two wholemeal sandwiches, with correct bolus taken prior).

Also....I was using this as almost my dummy run, for when I go away in about a month.

I have two young sons one will be 8 and the other is just over 1, both of these will have me in the pool for most of the day....how will I cope with this...I cant be disconnected for such a period and have such blood sugar.

How do long term pump users cope, with disconnection, dirty pool water, and holidays?

Any help or advice appreaciated.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I swim most days in summer but don't normally disconnect for more than about an hour at a time. Pre pump I used to go very low, so now my glucose levels remain stable or just go down a little.
Longer you won't have that reservoir, under the skin hence BG going up.
I think some people reconnect and give themselves a small bolus every now and then but that's not always easy or convenient and can lead to rollercoaster levels.
There is whats called the 'untethered regime' where you use lantus/levimir as a basal but your pump for boluses ( its a bit more complicated than that, but it was designed specifically for people doing things like water sports) details here http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/clinic/untethered.htm
but as you're very new to the pump, it is something you would want to discuss with your docs.

You can also have a pump 'holiday' and go back to MDI for a short time.

Perhaps others have some more ideas.

As for cleanliness, I assume that you are capping off your site for swimming, that way nothing should 'get in'. I also find it useful to put tegaderm on the site before insertion during hot weather/lots of swimming, it helps it to remain stuck.

bonerp

try a pump holiday for 12 hours? do your usual insulin etc for breaky, take it off and basal something like insultard or whatever you use (I take 50% of basal rate per 12 hours off the pump) then just bolus using pump or inject.

Worked for me on hols.

thedriver

many thanks for the responses.

I am thinking perhaps with me going away in less than a month, that reverting to the "old" medication may be best...it is just for two weeks.

I did cap the end of the cannula, but the one year old caught this and kicked it half out, so I had to get out of the pool and completley remove.

Im back at the hospital on the 3rd and will discuss this further with them.

somalian

Is it a good day for swimming if its 79 degrees farenhight and sunny? me and my friends want to go swimming but dont know if tahst a good day for swimming. is it?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
somalian.

Yes.