New to this site

reddevil60

I'v been on Humalin I insulin for over 10 years and I take it twice a day. My problem is that I've been told its an old insulin - just a starter one and I should have been taken off it years ago. I'm also finding as I do lots of exercise that I need to eat lots of chocolate before just to stop my levels dropping too low. This defeats the point of exercising.

My main point is would I benefit from using a pump as I only take 12 units twice aday of medium to long acting insulin.

Awaiting your messages. :)

jopar

Hi welcome

I see that you are T2 diabetic, hence only the 2 injections of Humalin I, which is the mid range acting insulin, this is used to tackle the Glucose that is being dribbled into your body by your liver, what T1's term as background insulin.. One one hand yes it's one of the older group of insulin but if it working and providing control the it's perfectly fine to use, as they say what aint broke don't fix...

In your case it seems that when exercising it's working too well causing hypo's or an increase in carbs to counter react...

I think that you need to speak to your HCP team, as they can advise best cause of action for you..

As it sounds as though you need to reduce your insulin on the days you exercise, if you record what you eat(work out the carbs amounts) what exercise you'll doing, BG's before, during and after as well as your normal meals ones... They should be able to give you a good guide to how much to reduce or other options for you... The better the picture you give them the easier it is for them to work out..

They may even decide to change your regime to better suit, could be changing you to oral meds, or different background insulin depending on your medical history etc..

As to whether an insulin pump would be of benefit, IMHO any diabetic who uses insulin to support there diabetic needs has the protential to benefit from an insulin pump, as it's just a more improved and more fine tunable insulin delivery method... But in the real world where PCT do the funding of pumps, it's extremely difficult for T2's to be provided with a pump, there is only an handfull..

As I said best advice is to see and disguss with your HCP team, to see what is your best move forward