New to Type 1 - Can I still go diving?

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Hi all,

I'd be really grateful if someone can advise me if I can still go scuba diving with Type 1 Diabetes. I've only been a few times and now have just been diagnosed with Type 1 and don't want to let it stop me doing all the normal things but worry about Hypo's underwater! Any suggestions/advice will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Dave

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Dave,

I may be wrong, but I am sure this question has been asked before and it was suggested that type 1's shouldn't pursue diving. I can't remember if this is on safety grounds or for the purpose of insurance etc, but do remember the answer was no.

Why don't you ask your instructor and gp for their advice.

Nigel

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Nigel,

Apologies for going over old ground. I have asked two Diabetic nurses for their opinion and one GP. One of the nurses with the GP think it's not a goer and the other nurse couldn't see any issue (hence my confused state!). Sadly it does make sense NOT to continue it as per your thread, I only go once a year on holiday so will check with the instructors as you suggest.

Many thanks

Dave

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dave
i would get in touch with diabetes Uk( Diabetesuk.org) this is on of those things they tend to know.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dave,

No harm in asking your instructor, it is always important to make people aware when you have diabetes for both safety reasons and insurance cover too.

Best wishes

Nigel

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd ask your instructor. I was offered scuba lessons on holiday as long as my GP/diabetes consultant had provided a letter saying they were happy to let me do it. Needless to say, I didn't happen to have one on my person ;)

I think it's probably due to a combination of things - two I can see immediately are:

1. You don't know how your body might react at increased depths/pressures

2. If you do have a hypo and cannot take on sugar, you place a huge risk on yourself if you're down deep, as you can't necessarily surface quickly to allow yourself to eat

I've never scuba'd, so have a very basic understanding, but the dangers appear to be there even from a simplistic point of view. However, if you can identify all the risks, and you can negate them, there's a chance you can keep up your hobby.

Sam.

katefaz

Hi Dave

My daughter has been diving in open water. You will need a doctor to sign you off and you may need to provide some supporting information to convince them. Check out the PADI website for information on this. You need to be well controlled, have not had a serious hypos requiring third party help in the last year, also no hospital admissions I think. You shouldn't have any complications and I think you're supposed to dive with a buddy and limit yourself in terms of depth and time but I don't remember the exact details and actually they vary from site to site. On the day, we tested two hours before the dive, one and just before to have a clear picture of how her blood sugar was rising or falling. The issue is around the danger of going hypo underwater and losing consciousness or being unable to treat. You should have good hypo awareness.

Sorry that's all a bit garbled but try typing in PADI and diabetes to google and see what you can find out.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I worked in the tourism industry here in Australia for many years. In that time all the diabetics were refused diving. Any Asthmatics were also refused without exception and regardless of how many years it had been since an attack. I think it would be too open to litigation if something were to happen for a dive company or doctor.

jopar

There used to be a blanket ban for T1 diabetics..

But I am sure that this has been revised, and it's now down to individual scuba clubs whether they accept a diabetic diver or not.. If you had been a professional diver i.e working on oil rigs then I'm afried that you would be stopped from diving...

If a scuba club were to take you on, you will probably find that they will not allow you to dive do any deep sea type diving, and would curtail you to a depth limited.. Also request a lot of other information before allowing you to dive to ensure safety..

The best thing would do is talk to your instructor/club and see what there diving policy is

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
well, how about that. Who knew you couldn't dive if you were type 1? I've never been and now of course, I have an instant desire to go :wink: :lol: :p

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Honestly, it depends on how loing you've been type 1 as well.
Since you've just been diagnosed, personally I wouldn't dive with you, because you don't know your body well enough. Activity from yesterday can decide on what your body does today, and it take experience to do that.

I've been diving a few times, never deep-sea diving though.

Show your instructor that you know the risks / warning signs and that you can deal with it. Get a letter from the GP saying that you have good hypo awareness and control.
Good luck !

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you all so much for the advice and comments. As well as being new to T1 I'm also new to this site too and it's nice to have such support.

Very grateful and best regards to all.

Dave

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The key points are to test before diving, be able to recognise hypoglycaemia and be able to take in a source of sugar under water - energy gels are best for this. It is possible to SCUBA dive with type 1 diabetes, as an amateur, but no chance of professional SCUBA diving. Snorkling is still a good option. For me, type 1 diabetes diagnosis meant the end of professional SCUBA diving, and I haven't dived since, although have snorkled lots.

debyas

Hi

Yes you can still dive :D My 12 year old daughter dives (she has had type 1 diabetes for nearly 2 years) she last dived in Egypt with her father and some German divers. I'm told by divers in the know that she can dive anywhere except in Australia.
So go explore

badmedisin

Hi,
I saw ad once but can't remember where, for dive training for type 1s. I think a large part of the problem is whether the dive instructor is insured to work with diabetics. Obviously it's riskier to work with people who have serious conditions so they would have to pay more for their liability insurance. The world is ruled by insurance! :)
so it's worth a look, I'm sure you'll eventually find someone who'll dive with you. But get good control first, get good insurance, make sure everyone with you understands about diabetes, and don't attempt anything extreme until you know how it affects you.
What is it about people saying no that makes us want to do stuff? As soon as I heard we couldn't have HGV licences, I immediately wanted to be a truck driver. Which is stupid as I can't even drive a car. Doh!
Good luck with the diving :)