New toy

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
i've already posted that I'm having to work quite hard on providing a nutritional diet forT1 husband with advanced kidney disease in a house where carbs are restricted too.
to this end i bought a "Spiralizer". With this little gizmo, I can make "Spaghetti" from various vegetables.I've only done courgettes so far, but ended up with coils that are about 3mm diameter and nearly 50cm long. there's an attachment to makr thinner pasta, which i plan to try soon and a slicer for wafer thin veggies, which will stir fry. i looked all over for the best value gadget. Some cost several tens of pounds, which is outside my budget. I plan on trying cucumber salad this evening.
I love cooking and all this effort is actually quite fun.
hana

C burns

Sorry, pressed reply b4 I was finished typing. If ur Lukin 4 carb free meals I do this daily for at least 1 meal.

Try omelettes filled with mushroom, onion, chicken, ham, etc. I usually use 2 eggs and wot ever veg I hav. If it's 4 dinner I bulk it up with a salad. I also enjoy salads with tuna, egg, chicken, etc. mixed grills hav no carbs and very filling. Try fish, tuna steaks, chicken, beef, bacon etc with grilled tomatoes, onions, asparagus and mushrooms. Home made soup is another filling but healthy meal

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Spiralizers look so cool! :woot:

I have a cheapo julienne peeler which makes great courgette spaghetti. I don't miss pasta now.

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Hana,

Didn't know what a spiralizer was so have now watched YouTube videos. Just what I want! Which type did you get?
All the demos seem to be about courgettes; what do you think about using it on cabbage and celeriac for coleslaw type salads?

I've got a julienne peeler, but not very clever with it!
Jane.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
that looks like a great gadget. I tried courgette ribbons last night and thought they were delicious so will be trying different shapes.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Hello Hana,

Didn't know what a spiralizer was so have now watched YouTube videos. Just what I want! Which type did you get?
All the demos seem to be about courgettes; what do you think about using it on cabbage and celeriac for coleslaw type salads?

I've got a julienne peeler, but not very clever with it!
Jane.

The thing I bought is called "Spiralz" I got it on-line.Arrived in 48 hours!. I've now done apple spirals and cucumber rings for salad.. The apple spirals can be made into discs, by scoring the apple. then they can be dried for snacky bits. they are very thin. I'm planning on doing sweet potatoes too. It has to be something reasonably firm. I do have a julienne peeler too. Does slivers of carrots for salads, but not long bits.
T1 doesn't like recipes repeated too soon.[ with few exceptions] Today we had portabello mushrooms stuffed with Stilton cheese with a tabbouleh style salad made from Bulgar wheat, finely shredded little gem lettuce , carrot slivers and mixed seeds. . I'm going to his next renal unit appointment and hope to discuss vitamins with the dietician. I think I might offer the unit my recipes.
To answer the earlier post, just above. I do do omelettes, but the objective is to reduce protein as well as carbs. I'm finding mushrooms invaluable. It's a bit of a pity neither of us likes seafood other than fish. . I do fish every Friday and to keep proteins down, I buy SMALL portions of luxuries such as Sea Bass. Pan fried for 2 minutes each side it's fantastic.
Curries can be usefull too. Lots of flavour for your nutrient value.
Hana

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
R u Lukin 2 prepare carb free meals?

Low carb AND low protein. I've been low carb for years, but advanced kidney disease needs lo protein too. I have a recent Atkins cookbook for low carb. It has some excellent recipes. Otherwise I modify. I've been cooking for near enough 50 years, so I have loads of experience.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb AND low protein.
That sounds like the ketogenic diet, in which you consume 3g of fat for every 1g of carbohydrate and protein combined. It was originally devised for epilepsy, but seems effective in treating diabetes too: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23680948
The main difference from Atkins etc is that it specifically aims to lower protein, whereas classical low-carb diets don't mind what you eat as long as it's not carbohydrate.
My daughter is on the keto diet for seizures, but I've found her keto diet resources very useful to supplement my own LCHF recipe ideas.
Kate

A

AnnieC

that looks like a great gadget. I tried courgette ribbons last night and thought they were delicious so will be trying different shapes.
I love courgettes and do my ribbons with a normal vegetable peeler..not one of those that slice your fingers to if you are not careful lol...love them stir fired and even raw in salads

C burns

sorry didn't mean to patronise u with previous reply
I had no idea u had to do low protein for kidney disease. I'm really embaressd now, lack of knowledge! I hav no idea how u manage low carb and low protein. I think I'm hard dne to trying to think of different meals just for 1! Dnt no how u do it