New treatment for retinopathy

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very interesting as I have recently had my annual eye screening and been told that I have early diabetic eye changes but nothing needs to be done and just attend for my annual screening next year unless I have any problems before then. Does anyone here know if it is just OK to leave it for a year or should I ask for treatment before then? This is the first time I have had a problem and my third screen. I have never actually seen a Dr about my diabetes, just the DN.

Dark Horse

Very interesting as I have recently had my annual eye screening and been told that I have early diabetic eye changes but nothing needs to be done and just attend for my annual screening next year unless I have any problems before then. Does anyone here know if it is just OK to leave it for a year or should I ask for treatment before then? This is the first time I have had a problem and my third screen. I have never actually seen a Dr about my diabetes, just the DN.
Assuming you've had the retinal photographic screening organised by your local Diabetic Eye Screening Programme, it sounds like you probably have "background retinopathy". This doesn't affect your sight and doesn't need treatment but you do need to make sure that you don't miss any future screenings.

Eye screening is designed to pick up significant changes before your eyesight is affected which is when treatment is most effective. If someone develops any worrying changes at screening, they would normally be referred to their local ophthalmology department who will do further tests to see if any treatment is needed (or sometimes they may be asked to come back for an earlier screening).

In short, if the Diabetic Eye Screening Programme have asked you to come back in a year, it means they haven't seen any changes they are worried about and which might need treating. However they probably advised you to work on good control of glucose, blood pressure and lipids which will minimise the chance of progression.

Reactions: 2 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Assuming you've had the retinal photographic screening organised by your local Diabetic Eye Screening Programme, it sounds like you probably have "background retinopathy". This doesn't affect your sight and doesn't need treatment but you do need to make sure that you don't miss any future screenings.

Eye screening is designed to pick up significant changes before your eyesight is affected which is when treatment is most effective. If someone develops any worrying changes at screening, they would normally be referred to their local ophthalmology department who will do further tests to see if any treatment is needed (or sometimes they may be asked to come back for an earlier screening).

In short, if the Diabetic Eye Screening Programme have asked you to come back in a year, it means they haven't seen any changes they are worried about and which might need treating. However they probably advised you to work on good control of glucose, blood pressure and lipids which will minimise the chance of progression.

Thank you, that is what I thought. I was just worried as I had a macular hole in one eye several tears ago and when it was repaired they made two tears in the retina so I have very little vision in one eye and am very keen to make sure I keep good vision in the other eye!