New type 1. Still no appetite, depression and anxiety is bad.

Sushibabes14

Hi everyone,

I'm only diagnosed in May 2019..

I still have no appetite and I have lost so much wieght... I'm depressed and have bad anxiety constantly.
Its almost like I now fear food and insulin.

Anyone relate....

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

I still have no appetite and I have lost so much wieght... I'm depressed and have bad anxiety constantly.

Anyone relate....

I'm not T1, but I'll tag my colleagues, @Diakat and @urbanracer to see if they have wisdom to share.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
First, you probably need to contact your doctor and see if they can help.

I was misdiagnosed for years, I was happy to find out I had type 1, not because I had type 1 but because it explained everything that had been going on. I was happy to finally know. This disease is completely treatable by a tool we have that's called insulin. I eat what I want (I am a strict vegan) I just have to dose for it. Don't be scared of eating, just start to learn how to dose right.

I literally really eat what I want, I have an A1C of 32. It's easier for me as I'm retired now, but you can learn to control it, don't let it control you.

Losing weight is from not eating enough, but it's also from possible poor control and not actually being able to use the food you eat? Depression is unfortunately more common with diabetics and is made worse by high blood sugar numbers, lots of people say they end up feeling much better once their numbers are in more normal ranges. Sometimes it helps to have a goal in mind for what to do?

I don't know what your numbers are like right now to suggest specific things, but I bet if you start out by learning to carb count so you can have some leeway in how you eat, it will help. So make that the goal, start carb counting and keeping a log to show your doctor, get set up with a diabetic educator so you can learn some better control measures and at least you will be on a path to improvement. Just not eating won't cut it. Your energy will drop, your insulin will be off and that won't help you.

Big Hugs, I know it's a shock, but honestly it's a shock that has an easy solution, insulin.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Anyone relate....

Hi @Sushibabes14 ,

I noticed you joined us on the the forum on the 4th of July. Independence Day..!

OK. So this condition revolves around insulin dosage & food..
.. & testing.
Let's not forget monitoring BG levels which is another factor in managment.

Weight loss could be due to not eating, however it could be because of not enough or very little insulin not able to do its "job."
Depression & anxiety can happen with higher BGs.

What insulins are you prescribed & what are your BG levels in general?

Your first port of call would be talking to your health team..

Easy to say, but there is nothing to fear with a trusty BG meter by your side!

Best wishes.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Sushibabes14
If you are on a basal / bolus routine with carb counting a little of whatever you fancy should be ok to eat.
It can be very easy to fall into disordered eating as a diabetic due to the focus on carbs and dose timing arc.
Is it that you literally have no appetite (see doctor) or a fear of what to eat?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Sushibabes14

This is exactly how I felt about 6 months after diagnosis when I finally hit a wall, was depressed and anxious, felt like I was out of control and couldn't cope with my diabetes, I was putting on weight but ok with that just couldn't control my emotions, I was also looking after a young child and trying to hold down a demanding sales role so in meetings alot and hypo-ing in meetings, feeling embarrassed. I saw my GP who didn't help except give me anti-depressants which I didn't want. I took up meditation which helped lift me out of the hole, and then I took to eating low carb so I was taking less insulin and my levels were more stable and my mood improved from there. How you're feeling now is something I can relate to, but it's a case of finding what works best for you. Keep talking about how you're feeling, speak to your DSN as they can help find the right resources for you too.

Reactions: Marie 2

Sushibabes14

Hello @Sushibabes14

This is exactly how I felt about 6 months after diagnosis when I finally hit a wall, was depressed and anxious, felt like I was out of control and couldn't cope with my diabetes, I was putting on weight but ok with that just couldn't control my emotions, I was also looking after a young child and trying to hold down a demanding sales role so in meetings alot and hypo-ing in meetings, feeling embarrassed. I saw my GP who didn't help except give me anti-depressants which I didn't want. I took up meditation which helped lift me out of the hole, and then I took to eating low carb so I was taking less insulin and my levels were more stable and my mood improved from there. How you're feeling now is something I can relate to, but it's a case of finding what works best for you. Keep talking about how you're feeling, speak to your DSN as they can help find the right resources for you too.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. All of your symptoms could be connected to or triggered by your diagnosis and of course feeling this way will gie you even less head space to focus on getting things better.
Can you remember what you felt like when you weren't diabetic?
I did feel this way at many times in my diabetic 'career' and have been lucky enough to get some help with the emotional side of things which then helped me to deal with the diabetic routine much better. A virtuous circle initiated by taking some fluoxetine aka prozac to boost me a little.
Glad you have reached out here too as type 1 can feel a lonely slog and I hope you can talk to your health care people too as you very much deserve to feel better than this.

Reactions: Marie 2

Sushibabes14

Hi. All of your symptoms could be connected to or triggered by your diagnosis and of course feeling this way will gie you even less head space to focus on getting things better.
Can you remember what you felt like when you weren't diabetic?
I did feel this way at many times in my diabetic 'career' and have been lucky enough to get some help with the emotional side of things which then helped me to deal with the diabetic routine much better. A virtuous circle initiated by taking some fluoxetine aka prozac to boost me a little.
Glad you have reached out here too as type 1 can feel a lonely slog and I hope you can talk to your health care people too as you very much deserve to feel better than this.

Sushibabes14

Thanks for reply...
I am feeling little better... Seem to be going through different struggles, they pass and then something new appears

This week I've been terribly tired with weak limbs and I so exhausted...

Needing naps during the day...

My numbers are all over the place...

Hope to catch a break soon...

Sushibabes14

Hi @Sushibabes14
If you are on a basal / bolus routine with carb counting a little of whatever you fancy should be ok to eat.
It can be very easy to fall into disordered eating as a diabetic due to the focus on carbs and dose timing arc.
Is it that you literally have no appetite (see doctor) or a fear of what to eat?

Sushibabes14

Fear of what to eat and its creating food anxiety.
I'm improving though...

I was also not confident with larger meals requiring larger amounts of insulin..Irrational I know..

I now gave CGM with alarms.....

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fear of what to eat and its creating food anxiety.
I'm improving though...

I was also not confident with larger meals requiring larger amounts of insulin..Irrational I know..

I now gave CGM with alarms.....
I
It will get easier honest! It is all still highly experimental for you so I'm glad you've got the cgm. Take it easy. If you're in the UK it is definitely a day for cosying up on the sofa...

Sushibabes14

Yes, I'm in the uk...
Yes, still trial and error for me.... Sadly I have always run high but now my numbers are getting lower....

I have zero support from friends or family and Iive alone so i guess anxiety is normal.

I just want my energy back and this brain fog to lift, I've already had an accute nervous breakdown 5 weeks ago, difficult times but il make it somehow. X

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I'm in the uk...
Yes, still trial and error for me.... Sadly I have always run high but now my numbers are getting lower....

I have zero support from friends or family and Iive alone so i guess anxiety is normal.

I just want my energy back and this brain fog to lift, I've already had an accute nervous breakdown 5 weeks ago, difficult times but il make it somehow. X
I had a period where my blood sugars were constantly high and I was stressed due to sleep deprivation and physical pain (shoulder thingy). When my blood sugars came down the difference in my energy levels and general wellbeing was immense.
Sorry to hear you're not getting support from nearest and dearests. It is really hard for them to get it or they have their own preoccupations perhaps!
You are very determined and there are probably other times when you have battled through something tricky in spite of fear and anxiety? I think us type ones are a tough bunch (what doesn't kill you etc.)
Batten down the batches etc!

Reactions: Marie 2 and JMK1954

YouNi

Hi everyone,
....Its almost like I now fear food and insulin...

After decades the basics are still my every day life.
Best tips from me to you would be just to learn how fast and how long insulin works for you.
Just for example Levemir, for me starts to kick in 2hours after injection and after 10hours bg starts to rise again.
Fiasp starts in 40mins and stops working after 2hours.
If I take injection 25min before meal I need only half amount. For me, generally, dropping bg can take ridiculous amount insulin comparedwhat to take before meal.
If you exercise and take high protein meals, it can raise blood sugars likehigh carbmeal. Our body needs insulin to use some amino acids or it will just conver to sugars. Exercisereguires insulin itself (and amplify it), can be tricky,but you can manage it.

Exercises, for me, change everything... heavy exercise season my daily insulin requirementsare half compared to lazy weeks. Stress and depression times... well, Ifeellike theres nothing enough and no matter what I do, resistanceis so high.

You have some beta cells leftand your body can do its own crazy adjustments...
Exercise prolongs your beta cells lifetime, d-vitamin protects them a bit, cure will come in next 5 to10 years, theres several breakthroughs going on.