New type 2

kazwbb

Several months ago I went to my doctor as I kept on getting painful abcess'. He took some bloods and had them tested and it came back as probably diabetic. I was shocked because I had had a blood test 1 year previously to rule out diabetes and had been told it was fine. Turns out it wasn't and I had never been given the info or asked for a follow up. Anyway we did all the fasting tests, more blood and eventually I was diagnosed as type 2.

This is now 4 months on and I have just been put on metformin as despite my best efforts my levels seem to be all over the place. (I have lost 5kgs btw)

I have been off work with depression for 2 months but the more I read on here the more I wonder if I am actually depressed or am I having side effects of diabetes? Over the last year at least if not longer I have had a tendancy to be irritable, achingly tired at times (to the extent of being able to sleep round the clock), problems with concentration as well as those good old abcess' (always seem to have one on the go) I am also under investigation for reoccuring kidney pain which apparently could be linked?

I am the only person I know with diabetes. It doesn't run in my family. I am a bit overweight but not morbidly. Pretty active (well I used to be before the fatigue) I am a 41 year old woman and feel alone and cut off with this. My diabetic nurse is lovely but there is so much to take in and I feel like I am drowning in it all.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Sorry to be such a wet blanket.

(edit to add that my irritation, concentration and tiredness have been attributed to depression)

C

catherinecherub

Hi kaz, welcome to the forum.

I think that once you get your blood sugars under control then you will feel a lot better, have more energy and hopefully the abscess's will clear up. Complaints like these thrive on high sugars.

Diabetes is life changing and sometimes we get quite depressed at diagnosis and further down the line there are times when we would love it to all go away.

Have a read of this article and see if it helps you,

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-fi ... grief.html This explains the five stages of grief associated with a diagnosis of diabetes.

Perhaps if you could tell us a typical day's menu and your blood sugar levels we may be able to help.

You are amongst friends here, we all had to start at the beginning and ask any questions you like and we will try to answer them.

Take care,

Catherine.

kazwbb

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

The sort of things I eat are grilled chicken and fish (thank you George Foreman) with loads of steamed veg (no spuds). I am snacking on fruit but being careful about the quantity. I have totally stopped eating ice cream and chocolate (oddly I don't miss them) Occasionally I will make a chilli half of which is lean mince and half veg. If I do eat rice or pasta it is now brown instead of white. If I have a sandwhich it wil be wholemeal with no butter or marg with lettuce, turkey ham tomatoes and cucumber with a little grated mature cheese (my dieticians tip) and a teaspoon of ultra light mayo.

It isn't the weather for it at the moment but I love making veg stews in my slow cooker. Drinks wise I am not touching alcohol at all but this is mostly due to my kidney complaint. Even so I am not a big drinker anyway and can take it or leave it. Otherwise I drink black coffee or tea with skimmed milk and sweeteners but its rare to have more than 1 cup of either a day. I have dropped fizzy drinks on the whole even though I used to drink the diet kinds and switched to no sugar barley water or just plain water.

I do not yet self test although my nurse has suggested we may start that on our next appointment. The results I have had so far have been from dropping into the surgery when I am feeling poorly. They are always high but I do not know the figures yet I'm sorry.

I think my biggest changes have been to cut out all fast food and processed foods. Also the switching of rice and pasta etc. This is where my weight loss has come from I think which is the only nice thing about this whole experience. Losing weight without trying :D

I have waffled on enough now. Thank you again.

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
Hi
I was diagnosed last year and have been skulking round the boards here :D
Everyone is really positive and helpful - I have no advice as I am still very new!

You sound like you are doing all the right things - I don't test either, but hope to soon as I think this will help me find out what foods are causing me issues!

I hope you find some help here and that you feel less depressed - it is hard isn't it?

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
Hey there
I can so relate to all of your ailments. At diagnosis I had the whole lot and more. Now by going v low carb I am no longer ill, depressed or in pain. Any amount of starchy carb Inc brown pasta or rice sends me heading for the world of crazy land.
Get yourself a meter and test what different foods do for you. Don't delay your feet depend on it. The Collins little gem book will help you count carbs.
If what you are doing isn't fixing things then seems logical to try another path.

mimo

I am also newly diagnosed with Type 2. After reading everyones comments its just nice to know that I am not the only one out there that has it or feels the way I do about it >:O)

I dont think that I have fully taken it all in at the moment, diagnosed 2 months ago. BM is coming down but I am doing everything in my power to help. I am 32 years old and was shocked when I first found out but now feeling it was a little jolt for me to sort myself out.

Am pleased that I have found this forum and website as its a great way to meet fellow type 2's and share experiences.

Hello to all
X

Cowboyjim

Your diet seems pretty much spot on and much more sensible than most.... nothing there IMHO that would rocket your blood levels.
Metformin is a weird med and can cause side-effects for some people.
Might be worth taking vit supplements I suppose... I do but have not noticed much difference. Could be iron deficiency but you should consult an expert.
As others have said you can't really not self test at least a few times a week. It would confirm something if you took a reading when you feel really down.
DM really gets me down sometimes... you feel so helpless and picked on but I am lucky my family support me.
I was prone to paranoia before and the situation with DM only makes it worse.
ATB 8)