New Zealand and Thailand Travel medical bag

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

I dd do Australia 2 years ago with Frio wallets and after 2 months they have got absolutely ruined, the outer sheath is now breaking apart and the Velcro half off.

i bought large wallets but cant seem to find replacement outer sheaths which may be an option.

I am going to NZ for over a year so would like to take 3 months meds (NHS Max) and so need adequate storage for the pens in Thailand for 2 weeks and NZ for traveling etc.

i plan i will be taking approx 20 novorapid pens which is 10 pens for 3 months and 10 for backup
and 16 Lantus pens which is 8 pens for 3 months and 8 for backup.

total insulin pen travelling with is IMO 40 pens.

Are there any cools bags suitable for carrying this much? can i get a frio replacement pouch? can i just buy a random ice bag? what do you think will be best?

many thanks!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lucky guy, I wish I was away backpacking again! I did six months in Asia a while back, and, to be honest, didn't bother with cooling at all. Didn't have any problems with insulin going off, it seems to be much more robust than the makers say. Instead of disposable pens, ask your DSN if you can get vials for loading in the same pen. Takes up way less room in the backpack. I've got disposable pens for novorapid, but my my lantus is in vials, prety sure the sameis available for quick acting.

Reactions: jackvdbuk and Sibyl

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey when I went to Vietnam etc for 3 weeks I got the frio wallet with the zips and found that they lasted longer than the ones with Velcro ! I would maybe contact the frio wallets because I've had some that have lasted years and I really do test them if that makes sense !