New Zealand Medication prescription

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

i know someone on here will have gone through the process of obtaining supplies in NZ but i just wanted to confirm a few things..

it states i need to go to a GP first to get a prescription and it costs 45$ to see one, is this free as we are reciprocal?

how much do supplies costs for reciprocal countries? i require the usual - novorapid, lantus, needles, strips, finger lancets.. i cant seem to find this info. the website for diabetes NZ states but not sure what price stuff will be:

Medication costs the same amount throughout New Zealand. If you are a resident in New Zealand you will pay $5.00 for each prescription item. The charge for a non-resident (unless for an emergency supply and coming from a reciprocal country like Australia and the UK) will be NSS, or Not Subsidised and the full cost of the medicine will apply.

are there any tips or advice for changing over to the NZ care system?

many thanks :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Reading the quote it looks like the reciprocal agreement covers emergency supplies only.

Expect to pay full price as a visitor.

Most NZ residents have medical insurance. The system is not free at the point of delivery apart from emergency care which is supposed to be pretty good.