NEWBIE alert! (aka Nutter alert)

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Hellooo all - wish you all a great day and thanks for having me :)

Just got diagnosed Type 2 on Friday and spent the weekend sleeping. Have since realised that trillions of other people have this and manage quite well thank you and now it's time to stop being such a total wuss and get on with things ;)

Current treatment is Metformin (oh my god my poor poor bum - will it ever recover?) hahahaha

Been vegetarian for over 20 years and due to work and family commitments virtually living on sugar free red bull (or store's own equivialent) for the last 2.5 years /// hmmmm ... wonder if that has anything to do with being diabetic now? a little light research has hinted perhaps less caffeine would have been sensible.

Oh well, such is life :)

Anyhow, I have yet to be seen by the diabetic nurse and have a fasting blood test tomorrow - so we'll see. The diet advice I've had so far???

"stop eating sugar"

Hmmmm ... useful, I think not ...

I was diabetic in my pregnancy (for three months I pushed a LOT of insulin) and my diabetic contact then said I was "allergic to all food" as really simple things she'd suggested I eat sent my bloods sky high. Like cottage cheese for instance. 14mmol ... seriously???

Anyway, obviously I am rather concerned now as I had such a problem last time around, I DO have a rather large (backside? belly? thigh?) weight problem so I'm trying hard to address that as much as possible ...

Did you want a potted history? Probably not - feel free to skim !!!

Hopefully at some point somebody will give me a blood monitor and I can actually start working out what kind of things I CAN eat ... right now I am really bored of eating fruit for breakfast, and have had enough eggs or egg white omelette's to kill a horse.

Just found some bread at tesco which is OAT high and seems to have a way lower carb count than all the other breads I've seen, so have snuck some toast and honey for brekkie today - hence the good mood lol

ANY suggestions for starting out, especially as I'm vegetarian (not vegan, obviously, as I've eaten about 6 eggs since Friday haha) would be REALLY gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Jem :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Re: NEWBIE alert!

Hi Jem,

We've been witing for a cure for some time, but yours is the best anyone has yet come up with - a sense of humour. :wink:
I used to be a veggie, but fell off the wagon a little way back. One piece of advice, get yourself a copy of Rose Elliot's book 'The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet, published by Piatkus.
That would be a great place to start.

All the best,

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

I don't think I believe in food allergies of the kind you mention. it doesn't sound like an allergy anyway. Allergies don't generally push up BG, they cause a histamine reaction, which is quite different. I do believe that many women who have gestational diabetes will develop T1 or T2 later.
I'm with the low carb approach for best BG control. You may be a T1, which won't respond to Metformin in the longer term.
You are still at the first step of your journey.
Keep coming back to us. tell us what's happening and we'll try to help explain.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??

oh thank you lovely people so much for the welcome :) - you may get sick of the sense of humour at any given time, it has been known to annoy - if you wish to do away with me, please send the cadbury's creme eggs to

PO Box my god you're annoying

***hahahaha***

it's so good to be able to reach out and connect *oooo-er*

**** - I have to cut the fruit? bum ... ah well, I guess if I start with the macrobiotic reverse approach (I may have just made that up lol) and eat as carb free as possible and then introduce things once I get the monitor it could be a good idea to see just what works for me.

thanks for the advice on the cookbook - I have rose elliot books and know she makes food you can actually recreate without spending a hundred quid or five hours doing so :)

I honestly don't think that my diabetes contact from when I was pregnant knew what the hell to do with me. I filled in my diet sheets accurately and being a really anal type, completed the carbs and stuff lol - I don't think she knew what else to say!!! Being as I had hyperemesis for the whole **** pregnancy (that's where you get well acquainted with the toilet bowl and learn to love the smell of pine) pretty much the only thing I could eat and keep was potato, so probably not the best thing for a diabetic - but the kid came out healthy so YAY ... I realise you can't actually be allergic to all foods, although being allergic to chocolate must suck enough to make you feel like that!

I suppose I'm a bit scared that all the foods I try will end up with me having big readings again ... oh well, at least I love broccoli and tomatoes and mushrooms - please, if anyone says I can't have those, then just start posting those sticky gooey eggs right away!

Will pop back in to annoy the pants off you all again soon :)

all the best and really, it means lots to have the welcome and the advice to hand - CHEERS!

oooooops, nearly forgot, yep Sue I do eat dairy too, anything that didn't used to be alive basically ... unless you want to start a theoretical debate on veganism and fungi as a non-animal-vegetable-mineral classification aaaaaaaaaaaargh ;)

cheers

Jem xoxoxoxox

**** forgot to add - Hanadr - thanks for information, I do agree that most people who suffer db in pregnancy will go on to a greater or lesser degree ... what I didn't know is that it's possible for me to be a Type 1 at the great age of 34 lol ... it seems ~I haven't googles nearly enough to make sense of this all - eeek!

ppps - can I use the "disease" (or is that a banned expression) as an excuse for being REALLY forgetful? hehehehe *sneaks off*

Jem

Dislikes

thanks squillions :)

love to connect with "other nutters" - and see, I took no offence whatsoever ;)

new forest eh, one of my favourite places, along with Stockholm ... kinda different I guess *random ramble alert*

and chocoholic eh ... one of my kind hahahaha ...

cheers again *gets warm feeling and not of the wee kind*

ciao J/xxx

willogs

Hi Jem

I was diagnosed with diabetes in pregnancy, I was told at that point that I was type 1.Was you never told. This has gone onto me being type 1 and insulin dependant. When I was diagnosed again 6 months after giving birth this was the first question I was asked, was I treated previously with insulin. May be this is a question you should ask??? Kids have a lot to answer for!! haha.

Jem

Dislikes

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo - nobody ever even mentioned type 1 or 2 when I was pregnant --- all they said was I needed insulin throughout my pregnancy, had a glucose tolerance test at 6 weeks after the horror, sorry, I mean "c/section" - and was told although my sugars were a little high, that I should go away and eat healthily and that I was not diabetic. I've had fasting sugar tests every year since (the boy is now 4 and a half - and hellyeah, they have a LOT to answer for - including my addiction to sugarfree redbull!) and they've always been about 7 or 8 but "nothing to take action upon" according to my GP.

The only reason I got this diagnosis at all is because I saw a different doctor as an emergency appointment, because mine was unavailable. I had cystitus for the nine trillionth time this year ... lovely (sorry if that's TMI) ... and there I was - in my surgery for almost two hours having a bunch of stuff going on ...

So although I'm kind of stuck in that "lack of useful information" zone right now (where's my Sodding blood meter???) I am still hugely grateful to be having the diagnosis at all - I'd rather it was sorted out, instead of feeling like death warmed up (and only for 2 minutes on defrost at that) as I have done for the last 12 months.

Anyhow, I have a fasting blood tomorrow to quantify things. next week I have an appointment with MY own gp (wish me luck) and then middle of September I finally get an appointment with the diabetic nurse at my surgery.

Really suffering an urge for ben and jerry's phish food ice cream right now ;)

Ah well ... never mind hehehehehe ...

See you later, got to go and do some work now,

cheers once more, Jem xoxox

willogs

When I had my GT test at 6 weeks It came back as impaired glucose,7 at 2 hour test.At this point I was breastfeeding and believe that this regulated my sugars because when I stopped BF (6 months later) I started to feel unwell, lost weight and then started testing my sugars again which would regularly be in the 20's. I had another GT test and my 2 hour test was 17 and as I said before was put straight back on insulin. I am not saying this would be the same for you but just thought I would share my post GD experience.

Jem

Dislikes

Thank you for sharing your story and information, it's good to hear what can and does happen to other people.

I'm guessing I'll be back in for another GTT pretty soon (barf) ... thanks again lovey, how old's the sprog now?

xxx

willogs

The sprog is 15 months and has changed my life( in more ways than one). They did ask me if I had suffered with 'symptoms' of diabetes before pregnancy, which I answered no. He did say that even If I had not become pregnant then I may have been diagnosed with diabetes anyway because of my GT test in pregnancy which was 19. What were your previous GT test results? Can you remember coz my post baby brain does struggle some days.

Jem

Dislikes

15 months - ahhhhhh --- you know when people said to me it'd change my life (sic: having a kid) I had NO conception of just how much hahahaha ...

Likewise, pre-pregnancy, no symptoms, although I was asked about family history, at which point, it was aunts and not direct, thwn my baby was 2 weeks old my dad decided to tell me he was diabetic, and had been for sometime. Sheeesh. Helpful. Not.

I have absolutely no memory of what the last two GTTs brought numberwise (apart from the fact I struggled to keep it down hahahaha) nappy head - oh love, it doesn't go away when you get them out of nappies and into spiderman/barbie pants ... I am going to get a tee-shirt made up saying:

"I BLAME THE DISEASE"

Do you think it'll sell well lol?

Some random unreleated blah - a woman loses around 10% of her brain capacity in pregnancy. Hey I didn't have that much to start with!!!

Later xxx

willogs

Gt test - not nice!! especially not when pregnant and suffering with unexpected bouts of vomitting(sorry).

As for losing 10% I think thats all I have left!!! when I found the pepper mill in the fridge today I knew things would never be the same!!!!

Jem

Dislikes

That's really good - I am sorry to admit I laughed!

... I found the laundry liquid in the milk space in the fridge when dear son was little. That was not good ;)

Oh god I recall the GTT woman mixing the goop and I sat thinking, just the look of it, let alone the taste and texture was enough to bring a lump to the gullet *BARF* ... she told me if I blew sugary chunks, she'd make me take another test the next day ... it was the least vomitty two hours of my entire pregnancy (throughout which I spewed with gay abandon, about 18 times a day, from 8 weeks right up until I barfed on the bloke who was mopping up my fear as they inserted the spinal block thingy on the op table ... all good fun "Only child?" I hear you ask hahahahahaha)

Still it was a good 7 plus months of pukeyness, throughout which time I managed to invent a puke-o-meter --- a shorthand rating scale for "how sick" I had been that day - to avoid long and drawn out vomit related conversations!! A "one" was mild nausea followed my a little light heaving whereas a "five" was like the time I broke a rib heaving and managed to give myself an entirely red eye, due to broken blood vessels.

It's a good job kids give youso much more back, isn't it? Love 'em ;) but sticking at one!

J/xxx

willogs

MMMM, might be tempted by more than one - why I hear you shout - Have not got a clue why??? Have been advised by my DSN that now would be a good time to have another one while my BS are low due to 'honeymooning'.( think my partner would run the other way - FAST) I do worry how it would affect another pregnancy, but there are many diabetics who have children so its not only me who will have ever had that thought. Sorry to take over your thread with the baby chat, you will get plenty of advice and chat from this forum, it is excellent.

Jem

Dislikes

Absolutely no apology necessary whatso'er!

Ah the temptation ... yes, I recall that moment of insanity - sorry, I mean natural instinct ... it was in the three week gap between the end of colic and the beginning of teething. Ah I slept for actual whole hours at a time (ok, maybe 3 or 4 haha) ... and ate cadbury's creme eggs on a weekly basis ... lol ... it was a brief period of insanity ;)

Hmm you might have to talk dp into it a bit, but you're absolutely right, there are loads of very sucessful pregnancies had by diabetics ... and if you already have a good grasp on handling your own plan, or are willing to take advantage of the honeymoon thingy, then go for it ... that is, if the remaining 10% of thy brain is SURE lol ...

Enjoy and have a lovely night - tomorrow's a whole new day of discover for your toddler ... and you get to tag along hehehehe ...

J/xxx

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites

Hi Jem,
Another nutter here too :twisted: in fact after since my daughter read one of my threads she's trying to get me sectioned :cry: think she's after my money.Take a look at fasteddies my story part 1 that will bring tears to your eyes.Keep laughing best tonic you can have and its free.

All the best Graham

ps I'm not in Eddies league when it comes to nutters he,s got a degree :D

Jem

Dislikes

Excellent - I love it when us nutters are allowed to run in herds ... actually, what is the collective for nutters? A zing? A basket? teehee - yeah, I think "oh look, from here in undergrowth I can see a wild basket of nutters" works REALLY well ;)

--- move over Attenborough ;)

and my god, you're not wrong about fast eddie's threddie ... certainly brought a tear :D degree material indeed.

Tell dear daughter being nutters is what keeps us sane ... kinda.

Cheers, Jem xx

Jem

Dislikes

3 and some odd weeks after diagnosis I get to meet my diabetes "nurse" tomorrow - wish me luck

I'm sure to be told to eat plenty oh healthy carbs hehehehe

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites

Hi Jem,
I think the answer to your question is an Asylum :roll:
Regards
Graham

Jem said:
Excellent - I love it when us nutters are allowed to run in herds ... actually, what is the collective for nutters? A zing? A basket? teehee - yeah, I think "oh look, from here in undergrowth I can see a wild basket of nutters" works REALLY well ;)

Cheers, Jem xx