Newbie...and I need help, please.

Apricot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Am all of 3 weeks into this, metformin is causing havoc. I have the 1 x 500mg slow release, not yet testing as regularly I perhaps should..levels still in the mid teens. Am mid 50's female, live in South Yorks. Am reasonable cook, and have a very busy job. Have medication for high blood pressure, that is now settling nicely.

Two perhaps linked problems.

The metformin causes me grief at about the 19 hours horizon....a quick out of bed and go and be sick. May be 3am ish...I sleep on my tummy and is very very sore. Tried taking it at a different time, doesnt make any difference...still the 19 hours time.

GP has given me some ordinary Metformin..a different brand.
I am on a much needed holiday next week...and really dont want to have to find a loo fast in Italy.

Second problem...I am also Coeliac..no wheat, barley, rye (am OK with oats occasionally).
I feel I want to eat (ok ..only rent food for a while) Something bland, not fatty, may settle my tummy a bit. Other than that...I want to plan for what I can have....

Many thanks
Apricot

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Apricot

Fancy meeting you on this forum! I normally read about your exploits on the Gluten Free Message Board! :)

I'm afraid that I can't really advise you on much but hopefully someone else will be along shortly to help.

I find Metformin does upset my tummy especially when I take more than 2!!! I can relate to the having to locate a bathroom very quick, in fact I have just returned from Disneyland in Paris and can tell you the loation of every toilet! Mind you we should be used to finding toilets rather quickly! Luckily I have a very understanding friend!

A lot of people on this board suggest reducing your carbs to bring your blood sugars down but someone with more experience of this can help you better.

I think its about time you baked a gluten free low carb roll/loaf for us to eat!! :D

Trinkwasser

ISTR someone else who is coeliac and couldn't take metformin for the very same reason. Be worth asking if this is connected or just coincidence.

ChocFish

Hi Apricot

I am sorry that you are experiencing stomach upsets as a result of taking Metformin, but really the side effects do wear off after a couple of weeks or so. I would suggest that you go low carb while on holiday in Italy then you may well find that you dont need to take metformin at all, take a tester with you to check your bg.
You might think that with all the pizza and pasta and risotto and gnocchi its really hard to be low carb in Italy, but actually its easier than you think, there are so many good and healthy vegetable dishes there with meat and fish, you wont feel deprived at all if you could out carbs or at least reduce them (thats where testing comes in), you might not have to go VERY low carb.

Re your stomach upset, I suggest that you consider drinking kefir, do a search on coeliac disease and kefir, its so good for all kinds of digestive disorders, http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie ... arch&meta= - and if you brew your own its just the cost of a pint of milk and is much better for you than shop bought one anyway.

I hope you have a lovely time in Italy.

All the best

Karen

Apricot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It gets worse.

Have now seen 4 individual people at the Health Centre, and have 4 very confused messages.
Diabetes nurse today, highly critical of the GP's that gave me Metformin, (if she wants to be critical of a colleague, then I am not the person to take it up with, and I consider that to be unprofessional), critical of Cholesterol level of 4.3 isnt good enough (4 max). BP is way to high (I do take medicines for it, and it was steadily improving). I do need more exercise, but just havent got the time. Not even I can be in two places at once. Apparently I am doing all this wrong. She was quoting NICE protocols, (which I just happen to know about, re the Coeliac, as I helped write them) I left the Health Centre in tears.

Just so confused. Really want to chuck all the **** pills back at them. I am a professional person, hold a responsible job, and am no idiot. I know I need help, but this isnt what I expected.
Health is a 2 way thing. I am involved whether I like it or not...but I can also see why compliance levels are pitiful. What ever I do, at least 3 of the professionals are not going to be happy.

Now what do I do?
I am away on holiday on sunday night, the first this year, and at the moment, cant be bothered. Working tomorrow...and have done far too many days now without a break....

Sorry if this is just a rant...I dont know whether I am on this earth or fullers. :oops: (being sick)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would say, Just calm down , get settled within ourself and try a few days of almost carb free eating. You will probabaly feel so much better that all this will look like a mountain out of amolehill. I don't have any experience of Metformin SR, but the normal one upsets the digestive system less if you take it in the middle of meals.
Low carb can't hurt you, may well improve everything and doesn't cost much. As has been said it's not too difficult to low carb on an Italian diet, all cold meats, fish and salads. Just go Very Easy on the Gelati