Newbie and question on blood sugar reaction times

tg123

I was diagnosed with GD on Wednesday and am 28 + 4 weeks pg. I have cut out/reduced all sugars since then and was feeling quite positive yesterday when i was doing my first "before" readings as they all came in at about 4.5-5. This morning, I had to do my first "after" reading and I got 8.9. All I had for breakfast was a cup of tea (no sugar), a dozen shreddies with milk and a slice of granary toast with marge. I am gutted that it is still over 7.8 as I thought I had done well - or does it take a few days for the old sugars to work their way out? Feeling gutted about this reading now

Finzi

First thing - how long "after" was it? Sugars peak at around one hour and should return to normal in around 2 hours. So if that was a one hour reading it really wasn't too bad at all. If it was a two hour reading, then yes, it might suggest that the meal had too many carbs for your body to handle comfortably. And that wouldn't surprise me, because Shreddies and toast are both high carb, and I must admit I wouldn't even consider having either of them for breakfast, much as I'd love to.

But even so, do keep it in perspective - yes, a disappointing reading (if it was 2 hour) but not a catastrophic one.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 13kg lost so far :)

tg123

Thanks it was one hour afterwards. But my lunch and dinner readings were both low (6.3 and 7.7) - and that's despite going out for an Italian! So feeling a lot more positive today. Thanks for comment re carbs - trying to juggle reducing sugar and carbs for someone who has never monitored it all - is challenging, but hopefully I will get there. Thanks for replying.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My bet is the shreddies being the culprit! I'm type 1 but currently pregnant, and breakfast cereals especially shredded wheat and weetabix are a no go for me and most other people, for cereals I stick with cheerios, they are lower GI and seem to cause less of a spike. It's hard work but will be worth it in the end. X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Finzi

Shreddies and toast could well be worse than an Italian, depending what the Italian was of course. But even if the Italian was pasta, it may have had a creamy or high fat sauce with it, which would have slowed down any spike. It might also be that because of that, your sugars may have climbed beyond that one hour 7.7, at two or three hours. But despite that, it sounds like you're doing really well - well done and keep at it! :)

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 13kg lost so far :)

Shazzle80

I've been diagnosed with gestational since I was 19 weeks (now 26) and have been reassured by diabetes nurses that the morning one is the most difficult to control. Apparently your body is at its most insulin resistant first thing. My readings are still between 6.5 and 10.5 after breakfast, even when I've had a relatively love carb breakfast.

Omelettes seem to be the best for my readings (though realise that on a work day this is waaayyyy to much hassle!!). Try injecting 15 minutes before eating, this bought my reading down a bit.......I was advised to do this!

Don't worry, so long as the remainder of your readings are good it doesn't matter if the odd one is higher though I know it's disheartening at first.

I hope you feel more positive in a few days xx

DonnaY

I know this is a bit late... but I have gest. diab for the second time now - I find cereal and toast a complete no go, and I hate the brown bread they recommend.

So, I resorted to, and my dietitian will kill me to learn it, but we do not get along, two/three rich tea biscuits with a bit of butter and thin cheddar cheese on top! Works for me!

Just incase that's helpful to anybody!

Jchalky

Hi All, this is my 2nd pregnancy and I am unlucky enough to get GD in both. My 1st baby was a small to average 7lb 3oz using diet control alone, plus I was 1stone lighter 1wk after pregnancy than before conception! This time around I have done my best since 16/40 to stay diet controlled but at 25/40 my resistance increased and I finally gave in and moved to metformin and insulin. Re: the questions on what to eat, we are all different but I agree to avoid cereals they are all laden with sugar. Weetabix has the lowest but I can only manage half each morning to get a normal blood sugar. Eat with whole milk as the fat in the milk slows down the sugar absorption, semi or skimmed milk will give you a higher sugar reading...plus you will need the calories as your diet is so tightly controlled. Try scrambled egg and salmon/ ham or bacon and rocket with mayo on oat toast as oat bread seems not to increase sugar readings as much as wheat or rye (for me anyway). Try to eat little and often. I eat every 2 hours! So half a weetabix at 7am, the other half (or egg on toast) at 9am, apple/ carrot with humus at 11am. Half a prepack sarnie with a 'of which sugars' less than 5g with a few mini poppodoms (durum wheat has a lower GI) or monster munch or walkers French fries all with low sugar content at 1pm, the other half at 3pm with a few more crisps and a sprite zero...believe it or not and your dietician won't tell you this. Try snacking on a mini Melton Mowbray pork pie as it will keep your hunger at bay and your sugars down. And for evening dinner my resistance has gone down and I'm no saint...chicken breast with Nandos sauce and salad with a few thin chips (higher fat content than potato or fat chips so lower sugar) and a mini tortilla wrap....and straight after have your fruit intake plums, grapes, kiwi fruit etc or if you like something a little sweet for pudding, Thorntons diabetic chocolate mints are just like after eights!...mmmm made myself hungry writing that. I'm no expert and most days I find GD frustrating and wish it would leave me alone so I can go for cake with the girls, but if you have a healthy baby at the end of all this ...ladies, it is worth it and at 28/40 I have still not put any weight on! Good luck. X

tg123

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Since I was diagnsed with GD, I have been controlling it using diet and, since last week, Metformin. Since I have been on Metformin (3pd) I have not got an after reading higher than 7.0 - so am startign to feel like I have this somewhat under control. My diet has changed completely - I have cut out as much sugar as is humanely possible (easter will be hard as I am missing chocolate soo much! Might allow myself one lindt ball!!) and reduced my carbs. Have found that one slice brown bread with eggs or cheese for breakfast keeps me below 7.8 and sncaking on apples/nuts throughout the day staves off hunger. Its not easy but its slowly slowly starting to become a way of life. And if the side effect is that I lose weight (ignoring PG gain!) then I will be happy!

Just thought I woudl update you all and thanks for replying.

Hope you are all doing well too
xxx