Newbie but not to diabetes.

Chris Orkney

Hi All,
I was originally eventually diagnosed with type two diabetes when I was 43, now 53 and still looking for answers and improved control. First put on metformin, then Glicazide added, then they tried empagliflozin, which turned me into a stick insect, (went from 11 to 9 stone 2 months but great BG control. Fit active and healthy other than having diabetes. Now on Levimir and Novorapid. It's early days but still not seeing any huge improvement yet. arrrgghhh. I have a feeling that this may take a while to get sorted.
Still not sure if I was mis-diagnosed 10 years ago, just trying to stay upbeat and not let diabetes get the better of me, nearly time to finish work. Its the weekend so can at least go for a run and just try and forget about it all, as exercise is so important to me.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,
I was originally eventually diagnosed with type two diabetes when I was 43, now 53 and still looking for answers and improved control. First put on metformin, then Glicazide added, then they tried empagliflozin, which turned me into a stick insect, (went from 11 to 9 stone 2 months but great BG control. Fit active and healthy other than having diabetes. Now on Levimir and Novorapid. It's early days but still not seeing any huge improvement yet. arrrgghhh. I have a feeling that this may take a while to get sorted.
Still not sure if I was mis-diagnosed 10 years ago, just trying to stay upbeat and not let diabetes get the better of me, nearly time to finish work. Its the weekend so can at least go for a run and just try and forget about it all, as exercise is so important to me.
As nobody else has said it, I will… Welcome, @Chris Orkney . Good that you have found your way here, and I hope you will find it as friendly and informative, and supportive as I have. Have a read round, and ask questions. Usually there are plenty of members with experience to provide answers.

Reactions: ziggy_w

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Chris Orkney
I'm no expert, but having read lots on here, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with a t1 or lada diagnosis

What do you eat? Do you low carb?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And welcome to the forums @Chris Orkney .

I guess if you are on insulin now then it may not matter whether you were originally misdiagnosed, except for the fact that T1/LADA have significantly better access to diabetic goodies via the NHS (assuming the Orkney in your name refers to location :))

The tests you'd need for a T1 diagnosis are probably cpeptide (sees how much insulin you produce) and GAD autoantibodies (sees whether your immune system is killing your insulin producing cells). (And there are a few other more obscure types of diabetes as well.)

But if you are a conventional T2, then @MrsA2 's question about diet is very very relevant. If you are on a high carb diet then it's very possible that your levels could be improved just by lowering the carbs.

Anyway, I look forward to reading your postings. Once again, welcome.

Chris Orkney

Thanks Ellie, I have tried low carb previously and really struggled with my energy levels but, just trying to lower my BG spikes now so trying to work out how many carbs I can eat for a meals and what type of carbs.
I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Chris