1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newbie - T2 diagnosed

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by kpsandown, Jun 18, 2014.

1. volorg

volorg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Jennie, it makes me feel so powerless that there is such difference across the country in how people are treated. It also make me mad when NICE start saying virtually everyone in the country should be on statins! Even more money thrown down the drain in the name of dodgy science....

• Like Like x 2
  2. pixie1

pixie1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I was first tested it was 7.8 neither the Gp or the DN considered medication control. I have noticed your number was lower on diagnoses.
    The strips are really expensive, even though I do work, I find it difficult. I have to pay for my own prescription. At times I cannot afford the PPC even though it is cheaper. I have had to do with out blood pressure tablets from time to time.
    It is finding the cheapest on the internet.

Heather

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

My diagnostic levels were 53 (7%) for the HbA1c and my fasting glucose was 7mmol/l. Meds were never mentioned and still haven't been.

4. pixie1

Bluetit can I ask for tips, in keeping BG low for the fasting test. Mine at the moment is 6.0 or 6.2, I would like reduce it. I am keeping a food diary.

Heather

5. Bluetit1802

Heather, there is a thread called What was your fasting glucose in a morning. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ucose-in-a-morning.23574/page-171#post-571473

If you join in that you may pick up some tips.

The Dawn Phenomenon also comes into play with morning fasting. This is when our livers dump glucose in our system to help us start the day before we eat something. This is a natural event that happens to everyone to some degree or another. There is a thread about it called Pesky Dawn Phenomenon http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/pesky-dawn-phenomenon.57672/page-12#post-571370

Have a read and see what others are doing to help with this.

My own fasting levels were in the low sixes for ages, then suddenly dropped to the 5's and have stayed there. I put this down to having lost a certain percentage of my body weight at the time, and also to coming off statins.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pixie1

I shall have a wonder over and have a look. Thank you for the links Bluetit.

Heather

• Like Like x 2
  7. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Keith,

Get the meter. Go to Amazon and get the SD Codefree meter plus 100 strips plus lancets. I just ordered the whole lot, only about £35 or less if you are in the UK so no VAT. unbelievably reasonable.

Once you have the meter, you are in control and empowered and you can find the solutions that work for you.

I'm in Denmark and the diabetes nurse told me not to test because I would worry (after they'd given me a meter and 20 strips). What utter ****. Tho I managed not to be rude.

We're new - give yourself some time, but use it.

Best of luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

8. pixie1

I wonder why the DN nurses seem to say. That you worry more when you have a meter. In fact, it is the other way round. It must be what they are taught.

Heather

9. ed209

ed209 Type 2 · Member

10. this is too difficult

this is too difficult Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's not too bad.

• Like Like x 4
  11. this is too difficult

Hi Ed I am glad you are scared. It will make you make the effort to beat it.
    It can be done. no cure yet but you can make it acceptable.
    What are your results?

12. Bluetit1802

Hello Ed and welcome to the forum. Please have a browse round, read a few threads, and come back with as many questions as you like. We are all in the same boat, so jump in and join us.

13. ed209

ed209 Type 2 · Member

Well I went to the gp and all he told me was that my sugers are twice then normal and that was that and stuck me on metaformin and left it as that now just want to know what to do and how to manage it

14. this is too difficult

If you can afford it get a blood glucose meter.
    Cut back on carbohydrates. Rice potatoes pasta and all other grain products are basically sugar. Strangely sugar is not quite as bad.

15. ed209

ed209 Type 2 · Member

I went to the pharmacy and they told me I could have rice pasta and potatoes at the minute I just don't know what I can and can't have its mixed messages if ya know what I mean

• Like Like x 2
  16. this is too difficult

do you like veg like cauliflower and broccoli. Use them instead of rice potatoes and pasta,

17. this is too difficult

I used to be more careful with my advice but now im telling you they got it wrong.

• Like Like x 4
  18. this is too difficult

go to the doctors and tell them to give you a print out of your results

• Like Like x 2
  19. ed209

ed209 Type 2 · Member

Thanks my head is all over the place at the moment so any other advice would be great!

20. Bluetit1802

Please try not to worry. This is early days. Your doctor is a total waste of time.

Firstly you must ring the receptionist and ask for your blood level numbers, and get a print out. When did you have your blood test and what sort was it? Were you feeling ill at the time? Was it a fasting blood test or not? You should have both a fasting glucose result and an HbA1c result before a proper diagnosis can be made. This last test gives an average of your blood sugar levels over the previous 2 to 3 months. You need to know the figures. This is important.

Secondly, you must find out if your GP has referred you for an appointment with the diabetic nurse. This is also important for a newly diagnosed person.

Thirdly you need to sort out a suitable diet. This means as few carbohydrates as possible. Bread, rice, pasta and potatoes are the worst culprits, also batter and pastry plus the usual suspects like cake, biscuits, chocolate and sugary drink (including beer). Your pharmacist is wrong and is just churning out the "healthy plate" type of diet that is not a good idea. All carbohydrates turn to sugar once inside the system. For a diabetic, CARBS = SUGAR.

Then you need to buy a home testing meter so you can test your own levels before and after food to see what different foods do to your sugar levels.

Meanwhile, please have a good browse round this forum. The whole thing is a long learning curve and takes time. Learn as much as you can about this disease and how to control it. Basically, it's going to be down to you and your diet.

Ask any questions. Good luck.

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook