Newbie - Type 2 - The start of a long journey!

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
Hi,

Newbie diagnosed on Monday, blood test on Wednesday and confirmed yesterday. Been to opticians and given all clear.
Oh and high blood pressure diagnosed at the same timeand now medicated.

BG levels 3hrs after eating 16.8, HbA1c of 89

Told to measure blood glucose, take the pills.
Reduce carbs, if eating carbs for Lo GI
Need significant weight loss.
Told to stop drinking beer.

Referred to a Chiropodist and an X pert diabetes programme at the local hospital.

SO much info in one day - I'm just sooo overwhelmed and daunted by what is to come.

Iain

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi BigIain and welcome to our special little corner of the internet.
First let me tag in @daisy1 who will post loads of useful links to info for you.
Next let me reassure you that we’ve all been where you are now. It is a marathon not a sprint but you will get the hang of it. Can you tell us what medication you’re on, so we can give you the best advice for your particular situation?
I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 70 and with the advice from here got it down to nearly half that in four months. Any questions ask and you’ll soon get an answer, or several!

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Yes, it is a lot to take in in such a short time. Slow down, take some deep breaths, have a cup of tea and relax. You have plenty of time. No need to rush. Read round the forums, learn as much as you can about how your pancreas and liver work, learn about the diabetes pills you are taking - how they work, what they do, what they don't do. Then ask us any questions you like.

First job is to ask for a print out of your blood test results. These are important for lots of reasons. (If you are in England your surgery should be putting them on-line, so ask how to register for this).

Second job - buy yourself a blood glucose meter (or has your GP given you one?) Without one you are working blind.

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
Hi,

Thanks for a quick reply. I know its doable, just going to be hard work.
I've got some good support around me, with a good dose of banter!
Told extended family in Oz they were supportive then sent me a pic of them all eating huge ice-creams!

I've the blood tester - my new hobby!

I've registered on line as my diagnosis coincided with the pharmacy not being able to re-order prescriptions and it s a way yo reorder without having to go in!

Iain
Meds:
2 x Gliclazide 80mg twice a day
2 x Metformin 500mg twice a day
1 x Amilodipine 5mg 1 per day (for Hi BP)

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
There si so much info on here, can you point me in the right place for the "pancreas and liver work, learn about the diabetes pills you are taking - how they work, what they do, what they don't do"

Cheers

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love your supportive family sporting ice cream in Oz! However don’t panic you shall have ice cream still. There’s a make called Oppo sold in Waitrose, Sainsburys and Holland and Barrett that is aimed at the low calorie market but just happens to be low carb too. It’s available in vanilla, salted caramel, mint choc chip and chocolate and hazelnut :hungry:
I’m on Metformin and Amlodipine plus another BP med. My BP is now much lower and hope to reduce those meds soon, you may find your new diet and any weight loss you achieve reduce your BP too. I’m not on Gliclazide which can result in hypos (too low blood sugars) so I’ll leave dietary advice to those who take Gliclazide too.

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
You are a star.

The Doc did say there are many options for the meds, but he needs to get the BG down first and will then review - he's calling me on Friday.

Regarding weigh tloss - you've done amazingly well, over 4st in 7 months. Well done you!

That gives me hope that with some effort I'll get there.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s a bit about the pancreas:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/body/pancreas-and-diabetes.html
And the liver:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/body/liver-and-diabetes.html
Metformin:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/glucophage.html
As I say I’ll leave Gliclazide info to those that are familiar with it.

You are a star.

The Doc did say there are many options for the meds, but he needs to get the BG down first and will then review - he's calling me on Friday.

Regarding weigh tloss - you've done amazingly well, over 4st in 7 months. Well done you!

That gives me hope that with some effort I'll get there.

Thank you for your kind words, I’ve reached 5 stone weight loss since I last up dated my signature :happy:

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Some light reading for you, just to begin with! But do take your time. It is a long learning curve.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046621.php

https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-dawn-phenomenon

and something to get you going with your diet
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

You need to be aware that Gliclazide is a strong drug. It forces the pancreas to produce extra insulin. The more carbs we eat the more insulin we need. The fewer carbs we eat, the less insulin we need. Too much insulin and our levels can drop very low, putting us in hypo territory. This won't happen to you at the moment as your levels are very high, but it is something to keep in mind and requires regular testing.

As you are seeing your doctor soon, you could ask him exactly why he has put you on Gliclazide without knowing the severity of your insulin resistance. If you are severely insulin resistant, making the pancreas produce more and more isn't always a good plan. The cells simply reject it. You end up with too much circulating insulin in your blood stream (just as bad as circulating glucose) and run the risk of wearing out your pancreas. However, I am not a doctor.
EDIT to add .... I am not for one second advocating you don't take it! Plenty on here do, and it does work to bring down BS levels.

Reactions: BigIain and Rachox

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@BigIain

Hello Iain and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope it will be useful and interesting to you. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: BigIain

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you stick to low GI carbs then you will need the tablets - carbs are carbs no matter how they are labelled - unless they are labelled 'fibre' - when they are not.
Seriously, though - I went low carb and in 80 days my second Hba1c test showed I was under the level for diabetes, second check at 6 months - normal.
Yes it is a long journey - I plan to live for ever - so far so good.
Dealing with diabetes seems to have been quite simple - but it is the same diet that kept me well all my adult life, with occasional interventions from distraught HCPs convinced that I was at death's door despite looking so well on it. I count myself lucky to have been diagnosed as it means I can tell those giving advice such as eat potatoes and beans just what they can do with them, and go back to eating low carb. It is very very effective in lowering blood glucose so if you are being medicated as for a failure to get control you need to be very careful.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Biglain. Although your diagnosis was undoubtedly a shock you already seem to be very proactive in finding out what you are up against and this is going to be one of your biggest weapons. There will be conflicting advice even from the Health Care Professionals.
I started with an HbA1c of 104, read about the possible complications of uncontrolled blood glucose, scared myself witless and resolved to do something about it! You sound as though you are in the same frame of mind and therefore the journey back to good health is not going to be as long as you think it might be. I was advised (eventually) by a lovely young NHS dietician to limit carbs to 30-40g per meal. This was contrary to what the other dietician and nurse said on the DESMOND course. Easy I thought, I'll just have 8 meals per day. Seriously, I wrote a list of all the possible protein sources, all the above ground vegetables and unsaturated fat sources that I liked and set about planning new meals. I drastically cut the carbs, lost weight, exercised more, chose gin and slimline tonic over beer, halved the dose of Metformin and got down to a normal HbA1c in 6 months. That was 3 years ago and my HbA1c is still normal. I still eat a lot but differently! There will be light at the end of the tunnel and it won't be a train coming in from the other end. You are not alone!!!

Reactions: BigIain and Rachox

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Biglain ... set about losing weight is also a major factor along with a decent diet. Good start from you and it will be easier the greater the attention you pay to the condition.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum.

You will likely find that the journey may turn out to be a lot more enjoyable than you would ever expect....

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
If you stick to low GI carbs then you will need the tablets - carbs are carbs no matter how they are labelled - unless they are labelled 'fibre' - when they are not.
Seriously, though - I went low carb and in 80 days my second Hba1c test showed I was under the level for diabetes, second check at 6 months - normal.
Yes it is a long journey - I plan to live for ever - so far so good.
Dealing with diabetes seems to have been quite simple - but it is the same diet that kept me well all my adult life, with occasional interventions from distraught HCPs convinced that I was at death's door despite looking so well on it. I count myself lucky to have been diagnosed as it means I can tell those giving advice such as eat potatoes and beans just what they can do with them, and go back to eating low carb. It is very very effective in lowering blood glucose so if you are being medicated as for a failure to get control you need to be very careful.
No carbs over lo carbs, sounds like a new mantra!

Thanks.

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
Hi Biglain. Although your diagnosis was undoubtedly a shock you already seem to be very proactive in finding out what you are up against and this is going to be one of your biggest weapons. There will be conflicting advice even from the Health Care Professionals.
I started with an HbA1c of 104, read about the possible complications of uncontrolled blood glucose, scared myself witless and resolved to do something about it! You sound as though you are in the same frame of mind and therefore the journey back to good health is not going to be as long as you think it might be. I was advised (eventually) by a lovely young NHS dietician to limit carbs to 30-40g per meal. This was contrary to what the other dietician and nurse said on the DESMOND course. Easy I thought, I'll just have 8 meals per day. Seriously, I wrote a list of all the possible protein sources, all the above ground vegetables and unsaturated fat sources that I liked and set about planning new meals. I drastically cut the carbs, lost weight, exercised more, chose gin and slimline tonic over beer, halved the dose of Metformin and got down to a normal HbA1c in 6 months. That was 3 years ago and my HbA1c is still normal. I still eat a lot but differently! There will be light at the end of the tunnel and it won't be a train coming in from the other end. You are not alone!!!
Well done you. Some good advice there thanks.

My partner spoke to her mate today and we found that her hubby has been type 2 for 12 years and we never knew.

I'm telling every one. I want ember one to know that things are going to change around here. Everyone so far has been really supportive.

My mate I go drinking with every Thursday said, "Well we'll have to drink some where else, will gin be ok, if so we can meet at a gin bar instead".
So your comments are really reassuring.

Thanks. I.

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
Welcome to the forum.

You will likely find that the journey may turn out to be a lot more enjoyable than you would ever expect....
Already enjoying recipes from the "8 week low carb diet book".

I've got the week planned out.

I.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Already enjoying recipes from the "8 week low carb diet book".

I've got the week planned out.

I.

Planning meals ahead has been key for me. I write a plan for the week and shop accordingly. It makes it much easier not to stray.
Good on your beer drinking friend for supporting you by converting to gin! I have a friend who I often lunch with. She always insists on eating the same as me :)

Reactions: AdeleTurner72_

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
Planning meals ahead has been key for me. I write a plan for the week and shop accordingly. It makes it much easier not to stray.
Good on your beer drinking friend for supporting you by converting to gin! I have a friend who I often lunch with. She always insists on eating the same as me :)
Also my partner is really helping.

She bought me the book and will eat what i eat as long as it's veggie.

Now just need to stick to it and find some exercise I like.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also my partner is really helping.

She bought me the book and will eat what i eat as long as it's veggie.

Now just need to stick to it and find some exercise I like.

Yup my hubby is very supportive, he eats the low carb meals I cook. He enjoys the food!