Newbie Type 2

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am new to forum and you have probably guessed I am still finding my round not being a techy and all that. I was diagnosed about six years ago or there abouts. I struggled for the first few years taking medication , metformin, and the added glyiclaside not sure of spelling. I then got invited to an xpert diabetes six week course. This I found very good and learnt a lot from it. I then started on Lixisenatide last March and since then have lost 4st and come off the glyiclaside . Still on metformin twice a day. I might add that I have completely revamped my diet and eating habits which as helped no end. Hope you all have a good day, cheers John John.

Reactions: 7 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hello john john, Welcome to the forum best place to be you will find. Keep up your good eating.:)

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@john john - Hello and Welcome to the Forum. I will tag @daisy1 who will provide you with some basic information that all newbies receive. Have a read and ask any questions.:)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
@john john
Welcome to the forum. This has been a great resource for me over the last couple of months and I'm sure it will be for you
Ask any questions you may have (there is no such thing as a silly question)
If you have a meter post your levels on here for some feedback. If you don't get one. It is an essential tool and gives you control

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the weight loss and changing your food to more healthy choices You will find that most of the forum members who have good control of their diabetes follow the lowcarb diet ,have you checked out the forum

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome
Sounds like you are now in good control and have stopped one medication well done on the weight loss keep up the good work

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@john john

Hello John John and welcome to the forum :) It sounds as though you are managing your diabetes very well. However, you may find this information we give to new members interesting and useful. Ask questions if you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Daisy1 very informative and many thanks. Esp before meals 4to7 and 2hours after under 8.5 I think things are looking good . Regards John John.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum, its sounds like you are on the right track :)

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would like to tell my story so far in the hope that it will convince people that there can be light at the end of the tunnel. I was diagnosed type 2 about six years ago. I was devastated and at the time my BG readings where 18+ and was in a terrible state. Now at first I was put on metformin and this started to help get those readings down, but never really enough. After a couple of more years plodding along I was offered a six week X-pert course and grabbed it with both hands because I wanted and needed to know more. Up to press that was the best thing I could have done because it helped me to sort out my diet among other things. Then I was offered Lixisenatide and again was told it would help me to loose weight. Boy how good this was for me I have lost 4st. 7lb and since then my readings are on average 4.5 5.0 5.5 6.0 My metformin dose was two tablets in morning and two at dinner time about 5pm ish. I decided that I would like to try and cut down the metformin a little so I have dropped off one morning tablet but kept the two at dinner. This was three weeks ago and so far have not had any problems and readings are stable. If I drop off another tablet later I will let you know. So for now all the best to everyone and my best wishes to you all.

Reactions: 5 people

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great news today I have stepped down from 20mcg of lixisenatide to 10mcg after consultation with my Dr. Wish me luck.

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the hope that this may help someone else, my readings for fri13th where 5.6 before breakfast 5.2 before evening meal 5.9 two hrs after meal and 5.6 four hrs after meal. Today my first day of NO LIXISENATIDE YIPPEE, with the consent of my medical team you understand God bless them.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
News so far regarding coming off Lixisenatide, my BG seems to be very settled , I really am watching my diet but so far things are looking good.

Reactions: 4 people

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a little update, I am still off Lixisenatide and my weight and BG readings are still good. I have found out paella and pasta have been struck off my meals list because the do push BG up a lot. As does beef in black bean sauce as does sweet n sour with rice. But it's the choices that work for me. I am away for two weeks on 22nd June now that's going to be a challenge so I hope I can rise to it. All the best everyone.

Reactions: 4 people