Newbie with possible GD - again!

cardiganlover

Hi everyone!

Newbie here :D

I am 24 weeks pregnant and had GD with my first pregnancy. Everyone keeps saying I might not get it this time as I have kept my diet and exercise regime up to date and my weight down (although I'm not hugely overweight anyway - size 14, BMI 26).

However I wanted to ask those with experience how likely it will be. The risk factors I have are being slightly overweight, being over 35, GD in first pregnancy, mum with type 2, dad borderline type 2.

I think I'm highly likely to get it again. The not knowing is driving me nuts! I think I'd rather have it than not know! The lovely NHS has only been checking urine and I won't have my GTT until the end of December, but I'm worried as I could be at risk over Christmas with all the lovely food on the go. WHen diagnosed I find the diet a doddle, at other times it's much harder!

I asked them to bring the test forward, but they've refused as urine is normal. I did have increased thirst, but I now also have a horrible bitter taste in my mouth all the time. Is this a sign of diabetes? I've googled and found nothing conclusive.

Sorry to go on so long! Hope someone can help! :?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome to the forum,
i dont really know much about GD but if you are worried whilst waiting why not get yourself a blood monitor so u can see whats going on?
sorry im not much help :)

cardiganlover

OK, so made myself £27 poorer and bought some test strips as my old ones were out of date - doctor being really unhelpful.

So far, have only tested once, 2 hours after eating as I used to do in my previous pregnancy. The reading was 7.8...not the end of the world, but very much borderline too. When I first had my daughter and tested to check it had gone after the birth, I would always test around the 5 mark, so I think there could be some impairment at least.

I intend to eat normally over the weekend and test too just to see what my numbers are. I'm a little concerned about the GTT test as I believe they test plasma only, not just the blood and that plasma generates a slightly higher reading - grrrr!

Does someone please know about the sour taste in the mouth? Is this a symptom? I know it's an early pregancy sign too, but this has passed and is less metallic, more nasty sour.

Does anyone have a story where they had similar readings to mine? What did the doctors do about it?

Thanks ;)