1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by bubblesclaire, Feb 11, 2014.

1. bubblesclaire

bubblesclaire · Member

hi I have been diagnosed type 2 two weeks ago. have read so much about it all and have changed my diet to loose weight...have lost 10lbs which makes me very happy. but I am very sad most days. even think...a little depressed about it all. so much to change...bad habits of 35 years.

one thing I'm totally struggling with and how I came to have a blood test...is how tired I am. I have days where all I want to do is sleep. it's hard to talk to anyone about it as most people know nothing about diabetes...no like I know all about it...hence me writing on here.

I am eating a very green low carb diet with fish or chicken. have felt so much better since changing to this diet. But than yesterday it's like I took a whole step back. After taking the kids to school I went back to bed and slept for five hours...after sleeping 12 hours the night before.

any suggestions on how to stop feeling so tired?

thanks Claire x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome, are you self testing and what Medes are you taking?

3. pavlosn

pavlosn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Claire

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but it does sound as if you have made good progress towards managing. As for the feelings of sadness these are only to be expected- part of the grieving process following diagnosis.

With regards to your feeling tired could it be that you are still running on high blood glucose levels. Alternatively you could look into any other blood deficiencies such as iron or vitamin deficiency.

Stay well

Pavlos

4. bubblesclaire

bubblesclaire · Member

I am on metaform 500g once a day to start.

I am testing but don't have a great understanding of it.

It all gets a little overwhelming, my husband tries to help but he ends up worrying too much and I find it all a little over bearing.

doctors have kinda td me and left me too it for the next eight weeks until they want me to do a blood test again.

they have been good in booking me to have my feet checked and my eyes too. but a dietician isn't until may...so going by diabetes websites for diets.

I have to young children, so the tiredness is the main thing getting me down. I just want to sleep all the time...in a dream work this would be possible but I feel like a zombie most days.

Shall look into the iron bit.

Thanks for your replies x

5. Thommothebear

Thommothebear Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you have only recently switched to low carb it may explain the tiredness, it does take some time to adjust as your body needs to adapt. Are you restricting calories too much perhaps? Its best not go too low initially.

6. bubblesclaire

bubblesclaire · Member

not really eating six times a day and two of the meals are normal sized ones except I'm eating loads of vegetables instead of carbs. weighing myself 25g of carbs...still having slice of toast and 30g of cheese.

7. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It takes a few weeks to get anywhere at first I'm afraid. But you'll get there.
    I was really tired when I was diagnosed. One of the reasons I went to see the doctor in fact.
    Then when I reduced my bs, I was even more tired as although I was insulin resistant, I'd got used to a high bs. The metformin helped on one hand with the insulin resistance but my bs coming down through diet negated that effect somewhat, until I got used to it.
    So hang in there, exercise does help, but don't worry if you are tired, it does get a lot, lot better.

(The other thing to consider, while you are on a diet to lose weight, which is excellent, you also need to use the time now to test, find which food spikes you, and then adapt the diet to become a long term way of eating,. You'll find it becomes healthy food you like, and that is also good for you long term. A meter is vital now really)

8. shane-1

shane-1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hi, it takes a few weeks as the other members have said for the metformin to build up in your body and become effective , your tiredness will decrease as your blood sugars come under control ,it wont happen in a day or two ,it will take a little bit of time ,in meantime try not to worry ,it happened to us all ;)

9. Doxii

Doxii Type 2 · Member

Hi Claire,

I know totally how you feel.

Your probably tired because of your blood sugar being still high. The metformin will bring it down after you eat but doing the diet is a good help too.

Dani

10. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook