Type 2 Newby on Metformin blood sugar levels

beanstalk

I am not clear about the blood sugar levels I should be aiming for as a type 2 diabetic. There are NICE levels for normal healthy people and generally higher levels for type 2 diabetics.

For instance the normal healthy fasting level is 4-5.4mmol/L. I am a type 2 diabetic taking Metformin and my fasting blood sugar in the morning is usually about 8.2 or 8.3.

As a treated person shouldn’t I be aiming at the “normal” fasting blood sugar level. If so, does this mean that I either need a higher dose of Metformin or that I need to re-examine my diet or both?

I take two 500mg Metformin tablets a day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd always recommend tweaking your diet before increasing or starting on medication.

What kind of things are you currently eating? Those levels are a bit high what was your last HbA1c?

beanstalk

I'd always recommend tweaking your diet before increasing or starting on medication.

What kind of things are you currently eating? Those levels are a bit high what was your last HbA1c?

Thank you, bulkbiker. I don’t know what my HbA1C was. My GP told me I had type 2 diabetes and put me on Metformin. At this stage I am just trying to understand the figures. I find it confusing having different blood sugar levels for “normal” people and for type 2 diabetics before eating, after eating etc. I want to understand this before I talk to my GP again. Should I be satisfied with the higher levels, even though I am receiving medication, or should I be aspiring to the “normal” levels. Someone with a blood pressure of 180/120 expects a more normal 120/80 when treated. Surely the analagous expectation with treated type 2 diabetes applies?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @beanstalk and welcome to the forum.
I personally aim for non diabetic numbers but some GPs set the target higher. I want to have non diabetic numbers to reduce my risk of diabetic complications as much as possible.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should I be satisfied with the higher levels, even though I am receiving medication, or should I be aspiring to the “normal” levels. Someone with a blood pressure of 180/120 expects a more normal 120/80 when treated. Surely the analagous expectation with treated type 2 diabetes applies?

Oh yes indeed you should be aiming for normal numbers.
However by simply taking the tablets you're pretty unlikely to get there.

You'll probably need to make some significant dietary changes but (unless you are incredibly lucky) your doctor most likely won't know the first thing about these changes.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not clear about the blood sugar levels I should be aiming for as a type 2 diabetic. There are NICE levels for normal healthy people and generally higher levels for type 2 diabetics.

For instance the normal healthy fasting level is 4-5.4mmol/L. I am a type 2 diabetic taking Metformin and my fasting blood sugar in the morning is usually about 8.2 or 8.3.

As a treated person shouldn’t I be aiming at the “normal” fasting blood sugar level. If so, does this mean that I either need a higher dose of Metformin or that I need to re-examine my diet or both?

I take two 500mg Metformin tablets a day.
I'm not going to tell you what to do. What I did was to aim for a "normal" HbA1c and to keep my daily BGs as in range as possible - for me that is between 4 and 6.9. Reason for this is that I have a range of symptoms that appear long before my BGs ever get to the "official" diabetic level, or what the medics currently have set it at.

I didn't take any medication and did it through diet (I was at an A1c of 50 when diagnosed) . A1c has been between 36-38 for nearly two years now. It has genuinely not been so difficult for me, as I responded well to low carb. You don't say whether you've adjusted your diet at all, but that change alone worked and works for me.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin never has that much effect on BS. It's a good safe drug that GPs tend to worship but the more important thing is diet. BTW I do take Metformin SR. It's essential for a T2 to keep good control of carb intake. 150gm/day or less is a good start point and less if you can do it. There are other tablets that can be prescribed but make sure the carbs are right to start with plus some regular exercise.