Newby to Type 1

DianeE64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m new to this site. I have been diagnosed with Type1 Diabetes on 24th Jan 2018. My son was diagnosed at the age of 12 and me this year. I am finding it so difficult to get the levels right and I absolutely hate doing the finger tests “hate it” I have a few other autoimmune diseases, Pernicious Anaemia, Coeliac Disease, Graves’ disease and Thyroid eye disease. I’m also being tested annually for Addison’s. Does anyone know why I’m getting all of these please?

They are saying I have Autoimmune Polyglandular syndrome type 3? I have had 18 weeks of Steroid infusions finished in November 2017 and orbital radiation for Thyroid Eye Disease, I know steroids played havoc with my sugars, but to be diagnosed with Type 1 is really knocked me for six. I don’t mind the insulin injections, but my levels are up and down all the time. Any help or advice will be really appreciated. I’m so low at the moment!!

I am praying I don’t develop anymore autoimmune disease’s

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, I’m new to this site. I have been diagnosed with Type1 Diabetes on 24th Jan 2018. My son was diagnosed at the age of 12 and me this year. I am finding it so difficult to get the levels right and I absolutely hate doing the finger tests “hate it” I have a few other autoimmune diseases, Pernicious Anaemia, Coeliac Disease, Graves’ disease and Thyroid eye disease. I’m also being tested annually for Addison’s. Does anyone know why I’m getting all of these please?

They are saying I have Autoimmune Polyglandular syndrome type 3? I have had 18 weeks of Steroid infusions finished in November 2017 and orbital radiation for Thyroid Eye Disease, I know steroids played havoc with my sugars, but to be diagnosed with Type 1 is really knocked me for six. I don’t mind the insulin injections, but my levels are up and down all the time. Any help or advice will be really appreciated. I’m so low at the moment!!

I am praying I don’t develop anymore autoimmune disease’s

Hi @DianeE64

Welcome to the forums, seems like you have a lot to contend with at the moment. A few people do seem to find that once their immune systems start playing up, they can then be affected my more than 1 disorder.

Many T1 diabetics go through something called the Honeymoon Period. This is a period of variable length when your pancreas is still intermittently producing some insulin. It makes blood glucose levels very difficult to control as you cannnot predict when it will happen and it drives your glucose levels lower than expected. Depending on the individual, this 'honeymoon' may last anything up to a year (as claimed by some forum members) but for most it's over in a couple of months. I had about 12 weeks of erratic levels before they settled down.

DianeE64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @DianeE64

Welcome to the forums, seems like you have a lot to contend with at the moment. A few people do seem to find that once their immune systems start playing up, they can then be affected my more than 1 disorder.

Many T1 diabetics go through something called the Honeymoon Period. This is a period of variable length when your pancreas is still intermittently producing some insulin. It makes blood glucose levels very difficult to control as you cannnot predict when it will happen and it drives your glucose levels lower than expected. Depending on the individual, this 'honeymoon' may last anything up to a year (as claimed by some forum members) but for most it's over in a couple of months. I had about 12 weeks of erratic levels before they settled down.

DianeE64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your response it’s driving me mad to be honest, sometimes it climbs then the next time it falls, so what you have said has explained a lot. Thank you x

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thank you for your response it’s driving me mad to be honest, sometimes it climbs then the next time it falls, so what you have said has explained a lot. Thank you x

What type of insulin have you been given?