Newcastle Diet + Exercise...Is it dangerous?

Malice

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI Guys

My partner and I are both on a low calories diet very similar to the afore mentioned. What concerns me is, if we are only taking in roughly 800 Kcals a day is it safe to do moderate to high intensity exercise as well? Currently, we are working out for about 1 hour each day at aerobic levels and this worries me, as we will be burning way higher calories than what we will be in-taking.

Has anyone else successfully pursued this diet long term, whilst exercising at high levels, without becoming seriously ill?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated :D

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will be interested to see the response to this although I can't offer any help or advice.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Malice

I cant say if you should or should not exercise, but I personally did and I was only walking at a brisk pace. I would say listen to your body, if you dont think you can, dont do it. Are you doing Newcastle diet or just following a low calorie regime to reduce weight.

Reactions: 2 people

Malice

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Malice

I cant say if you should or should not exercise, but I personally did and I was only walking at a brisk pace. I would say listen to your body, if you dont think you can, dont do it. Are you doing Newcastle diet or just following a low calorie regime to reduce weight.

We are doing 3 shakes at 200 Kcals and one normal meal with chicken for protein in the evening. Exercising 5 days per week resting on weekends.

I think, just to air on the side of caution, we will reduce the intensity of our exercise to the fat burning zone instead of aerobic. There is always a risk of the body cannibalising muscle instead of fat when working at such high intensity, especially with a low calorie intake, I am sure!

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I did exercise with my low calorie diet but added additional calories to compensate for the extra burn. Esp added protein for muscle

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on the ND for the second time and I do two daily walks of 2 miles.

I'm not sure if high intensity workouts are a good idea on so few calories. As you mention there may be the risk of wasting muscle tissue. Further protein intake may be necessary and with that will come calories.