Newcastle Diet Rosie Leah

Rosie Leah

Started ND on the 17th September 2012. Decided to do this after reading the http://www.springerlink.com/content/68r ... pdf?MUD=MP Study and following defrens and Stevevolution.

Day 1
FBG 6.8
1. +2 5.3 ( and after 30mins on treadmill)
2.just before shake 4.9 :clap: +2, 5
3.+2,5.1

weight 89.6

+at least 2 litres water

felt fine on this first day ...felt very hungry in the evening...but copeable with . Note did not eat the veggy bit the Diet suggests ala defrens
Day 2
FBG 6
1.+2, 6.1 (after 20 mins on treadmill BOO)
2.+2, 5.9 ( did furthur 10minutes)
3. +2 5.3 had shake plus bowl of veg as suggested by Diet less than 250 grms tho)
decided to do the vegggies for 2 reasons
1. Diet calls for it
2. Was attempting to chew table leg
3. It felt good :D ( yes I know that's 3 reasons but as will be discovered I can't count)

weight 87.9 loss=1.7 (woohooo)

Day 3
FBG 5.4
1.+2 5.4 ( after usual 30 mins on treadmill)
2.+2 5.6
3.+2 5.6 plus bowl of veg soup (200mls ) on diet sheet V nice

weight 87.1 loss=0.8 ( woohoo)

Felt awful today very spaced out, slightly dizzy and ill feeling ,I am assuming this is the 'flu' that is talked about it's bearable
also had wobbley legs briefly which i assume is low sugars ( a fals hypo tho'
worry about the 8 weeks Just how am i going to keep going? decide to carry on for at least the week ...cheer up

Day 4
FBG 5.2
1.+2 5.4 ( 30mins treadmill)
2.+4 ( missed 2hour slot as out shopping) 5.7
3.+2 10.8 (**!!1*&8 :***: ) very late shake and 200mls of soup

weight 86.7 loss=0.4 (woohoo)
woke up far better than yesterday still a bit of background 'flu' but did massive shopping all afternoon and late evening wandering round shops felt totally fine
BG's all over the place but think that I have seen others having this problem and get thru it ...

apologies for scrappy nature of this entry...I am backdating and intend to continue with a daily update

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Good luck Rosie :clap: :clap: :clap:

Defren

Really pleased to see your diary, and a huge well done from me.

When I started the ND my calorie intake was tiny, Metformin decimated my appetite so no veg was really easy for me, but as you say the diet stipulates 200g of veg, so don't beat your self up. I think it's always worth remembering it was me who changed the diet rules. :lol:

Your figures are looking really great after such a short time, like you, I used my treadmill, then with walking the pups, I got in a good bit of exercise, and I am convinced that is also part of the ND secret and why it is so effective.

Brilliant job Rosie :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rosie Leah

Thankyou Defrens that means alot to me
Just a quickie as I am away for the weekend and it's difficult to get to a computer ...
but this morning's FBG 4.5 WOOOHOOOO :lol: :thumbup: :shock:
my husband who is not a diabetic whoswe finger I grabbed his FBG 4.2
Over the moon
will update asap prob Monday
suffice to say all going well
feel full of energy and finding it easier as the days go on ..just like Defrens did
laters
Rosie

Defren

Brilliant, just brilliant. I am thrilled to bits for you. Have a restful weekend, I am looking forward to seeing your figures continue in a downward path. I really am so chuffed. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rosie Leah

Day 5
FBG 6.5
2hours after breakfast and exercise 30 mins on treadmill 5.8
then spent the rest of the day with daughter number 2 around the Art galleries
had salad allowance out having carefully checked what was in it it. so it is all manageable. :thumbup:

Day 6
FBG 4.5 :angel:
Away for the weekend

No time to do any logging results
so ended day
I hour after last meal of day and just before bed so very late.6.2

No weighing machine . :p

Spent the day moseying around with hubby had 'lunch' out which was my salad allowance (250gms is a HUGE amount)
and it worked :p didn't feel deprived gave Husband all bits I am not allowed
This diet is giving me energy and I sleep like a log

Day 7
FBG 4.8 woohooo having slept thru to 10.30am ( unheard of from me)
again rubbish at doing the logging .

Late supper after arrival home 1 hour after last shake and soup and just before bed 6.2

today spent running around packing and tidying up seeing daughter off to London and travelling back home 2.30 hrs
still have the energy :)

Day 8
weight
weight loss 1.1 woohooo

total weight loss since day one 4.05 ( assuming my maths is right )which is Fab
BMI 29

FBG 5.2
1, +2 5.2 after half hour on treadmill
2. +2 6.2 +bowl veg soup ala recipe on the newcastle diet
3. +2 7.2 re test 6.7
bit disappointing :( I spent the afternoon tidying cupboards maybe that was it ...well know raiser of BG's boring jobs

just wondering if I have some dud strips as I know i got 2 lots of ebay recently going to look now ...

EDit : yup mixed them up re test 6.7...used the wrong ones all day
Smack Rosie leah

Rosie Leah

Day 9
FBG 4.9 ( that's more like it) maybe yesterdays figures are due to previous days long journey in car.
1 +2 5.2 after 30+ mins on treadmill pushing myself to walk faster up to 3.8 kilometres an hour and burning at least 200 calories I say all this to show that the exercise is hard ( for me) I would love to run but I have a touch of osteoarthritis in my knee joints and don't want to push it. I also broke my ankle in Feb this year and push to the point of an ache ( perfectly safe as physio said so ) I also damaged my knee ligament too so all in all aint doin no running . This is why i MUST swim. I am reaching new fitness levels so need to do more.

2. +2 5.7 +3 5.3 I tested at 3 hours just to make sure these levels are going down... I seem to be ending higher than I started

3+2 5.7

was going to go swimming this evening but couldn't in the end, intend to do this tomorrow which I am sure will help my eveining figures.
I did quite a bit of research this AM and thank goodness Defrens posted a link to the 'Eat fast live longer programme' ..where I learnt an HUGE lot. Thank you defrens :thumbup:
I did furthur research using the postings on the' eat fast live longer' thread and found confirmation of my own knowledge about the difference between men and women's metabolisms. I therefore think that fasting is NOT a good idea for women of child bearing age. However I can't find anything about women who are past it ( like me ) ... need more research and thought.
But I think I understand the idea of a healing body on a very low calorie diet ...I still don't get why it has to be eight weeks and I begin to think that this was for the study .for clinical reasons Not necessarily for the science if you get my drift.
I will be continuing with the ND :)

I can't help thinking that the biggest clue to what is going on is the FBG's so I'm happy today.

Anway sleeping better and better, have energy , thinking very clearly ( which for me has been a problem with a double of hypothyroid and diabetes...I can see why there is a link between them and alzheimers.( can't even spell it godamn it!)...my wedding ring fits now and a size 16 dress I bought in anticipation some weeks ago fits WOOHOOO I was size 22 last summer pre dx but probably was diabetic then.

oh and last night is it me or was the site really s-l-0-w?

Tomoor the loft is being filled so it will block the path to the treadmill ( HOW'S THAT FOR AN EXCUSE?)

will stop waffling now and so to bed nighty night

Rosie Leah

Day 10
FBG 5.2
1 +2 5.8 After a goodly 30 mins on the treadmill.

2.+1 6.6 aagh decide to do brisk walk to Tesco's +2 5.4 ( better)
woohoo!
3. +2 5.6 ( after a swim )

I am thinking that maybe exercise for me put the figures up and having read around the forum Think I need to 'time' when i do exercise . So tomorrow aim to exercise 45mins after meals for 10 minutes and experiment with timings and rigour over the coming days

Today I found thru the forums various papers http://www.springerlink.com/content/j08 ... ltext.html

concerning weight loss using VLCD and the effect on type 2 diabetes .. Food for thought excuse pun.
Seems to me that most of the good effect takes place within a few days !!! I think 80% and the rest over 6 to 12 weeks depending on the study so it is as I thought that there is NO NEED for the full 8 weeks on the ND. :shock: :evil:

In other news The Loft insulators didn't arrive ...so was forced on treadmill ;)

Felt full of beans but during the course of the day felt woozy as opposed to Dizzy this is why I took the +1 after lunch because i thought it might be high Bg's ..it wasn't, anyway all that went as soon as I had supper and went for a swim. I feel bright eyed and bushy tailed

I am feeling a bit bored by all this bit like on the treadmill ...I solved the treadmill boredom by listen to podcasts and music on my MP3 player thing .. and getting away from researching is a must for tomorrow ...I'll go mad otherwise ... I wonder if i can ..I'm finding I'm doing some great thinking on that treadmill too. :lol:

anyway away to bed

I'm not weighing myself as I seem to not be losing weight ...this is a great demotivator so shall do it every so often and hope I lose weight next time

and I'm drinking more, in case that is the reason and I bought GREEN TEA and actually quite like it ...

Nighty Night

Edit: FORGOT to put evening readings on ... so much for clear thinking :oops:

Rosie Leah

Hi Korfila!
Sorry in delay inanswering but have been away ...
http://www.springerlink.com/content/68r ... pdf?MUD=MP
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/docu ... ecipes.pdf
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/docu ... torsRT.pdf

should start you off :D

If you type in Newcastle Diet into the 'search' at the to of the page more reults will come . I suggest looking at viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28731 as defren has documented the whole process exceedingly clearly and honestly and she has come through the otherside and is experimenting with the 5:2 diet now.

I decided to do it for 2 reasons
1) to lose weight
20 to improve my blood glucose levels

both of which are happening and have happened

I am currently thinking about doing it for less than the recommended 8 weeks... still thinking ..
I hope that helps

Rosie Leah

Day 11

FBG 4.8
+1 5.6
+2 4.6 after 10 mins of normal walking on the treadmill

2+1 6.2 +2 5.4 after walk to shops lasting around 45 mins

then called to grandchildren as emergency child care cover ... no chance to do the next day etc etc
Day 12

unrecorded naughty Rosie Leah :roll:
but on the go from the crack of dawn dealing with 3 kids doing school run feeding ducks etc
fell off wagon with pate for lunch as tea shop had NO salad !!

and evening soup turned into chicken noodle soup ala chinese OOPS

anyways!

Day 13

FBG 5.3 a pleasant surprise considering

onwards and upwards

will be trecking back and forth some 120 miles for the next 4 weeks as daughter's child care has just had a baby so my daughter needs cover from me on Mondays and Fridays .
I did get V hungry chasing the 2 year old around and do not want to feel weak doing this so have decided to up the 200 calories allowed in soup and salad and veggies to the point where I feel satiated ...in other words play it by ear or rather stomach

In other news bought soem ketostixs off ebay and have been using them and yup tis as to be expected

update later

Defren

Darcy said:
Replacing Meals with Energy Bars or Replacement Drinks, Eating Too Much Protein and Not Enough Carbs
Trusting Dietary Supplements Labels and Claims,
Consuming Too Many or Too Few Calories for Your Activity...

I did the Newcastle diet with just meal replacement shakes and I am still here to tell the tale. Human beings don't actually need carbs, so I don't see your problem. Diabetic, especially T2 on diet or Metformin and diet should reduce carbs anyway!!

Rosie Leah

saw the other post now gone!
thanks for defending the principle of the Newcastle Diet Defren :D
VLCD have a place in weight loss and diabetic weight loss too

I am on a modified newcastle diet as looking after the grandkids uses far more calories than the diet allows for ...I need to have my wits about me and to be able to use reservs of energy ..eg when a fight breaks out or a dash to the supermarket fololwed by a trip to feed the ducks . I am not allowed to go at my pace :lol:
however this new diet the Newcastle Grandkids Diet is brilliant for losing weight.

I plateaued on the Newcastle Diet and can only assume it was a combination of being hypothyroid and my body reseting my already low metabolic rate .. this is proof to me that exercise needs to be upped but also as soon as I upped the calories I eventually started to lose weight again

I have no strips as the ones I got off ebay were inaccurate so stopped al lthe testing too deciding to have a go at demanding a prescriptiin at my next hbac1 test in November.

So am I still on the Newcastle Diet ? well obviously not sadly, have I failed? Nope, my eyes have been opened I have seen amazing BG results personally . I still do one meal a day with a shake and sometimes 2 all depends on time ... but have meal in the evening a normal low carb meal and try to hit 1500 calories a day sometimes this is easy :) sometimes suprisingly hard :crazy:
having seen the light about weight loss and exercise,consumig 1500 calories and drinking water I am going to aim for exercising after every meal ...not a massive amount but enough ... with grandchildren I don't need too bless them .

I do believe that getting to a healthy weight BMI is the most important thing for a type 2 er...when I get there I can then eat more so as to maintain weight and i predict my BG's will be 'normal' ...which i suspect they are now :angel:

the term reverse is misleading though it does imply reversing the condition rather than the actual meaning reversing the amount of medication ... however I do believe that following the right diet exercise and BMI will keep the condition at bay ...forever ....

I have 2 more days not including today and then it's half term when they will be coming to me for a visit ... so I fully expect even more weight loss

Must go my grandaughter wants to look at ducks on you tube using my netbook ...ho hum

oh one more thing
If i hadn't done the newcastle diet for tha short time that I did do it for (3 weeks) I don't think 1500 calories would have been possible ... if that makes sense bit like on the treadmill you go faster and slower and the slower seems like nothing when in reality it isn't

well I know what I mean :wave: