Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi all doing the ND again on Monday.
Did it a couple of years back and had great results but got a bit lost after it and back to square one again. I intend recording my journey again and am looking for some co participants to gee each other along
My stats are :-
Height 5'7"
Weight 16st
Hba1c 110 / 16.8
Chol 5.8
Lifestyle active
Age 45
Sex male
Name craig

I've done it before so know results will be fast but just need some help and motivation to keep me going through the hard times any one who fancies it lets do it together.
Yea I'm aware of all the doubters out there but I'm doing it so be happy

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi geordie
There are a lot of members here who ae doing nd right now and few who are about to finish and few who have just finished. Dont worry we are all here, 8 weeks is a lllllong time.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just going through your old posts, have you done it twice already?

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did it for a lot longer (25 weeks), lost four and a half stone. Now on a healthy eating low carb diet and maintaining my weight. I'm no longer on medication or insulin and my last two HbA1c's were in the mid 5's.

I did it by constantly telling myself that it's medication so once I got into it I found it quite easy to stick to it.

Good luck Craig

Jim :)

Reactions: 9 people

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Brettsza I did it once properly then tried to start it again but didn't have willpower, I went recently to participate in clinical trials but was refused but as a result got fill blood work ups and they are bad, hit me quite hard tbh and feeling a bit low, going to start it again on Monday and I know in a week or so the sugars will be down again just so frustrating but I need to do it

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am about ready to repeat the ND @geordie90

I have maintained non-diabetes BG since September 2011, but gave allowed some weight gain after losing a third of my body weight, so I am fearful of reversing the T2 reversal.

Your experience is a wake up call for me. I will gladly support you. Please take note of the post from @scottish-jim , and consider how you will eat after you complete ND.
Best wishes
Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh flip! Did I really say I would start?

Currently doing a version of VLCD, by calorie restriction. Not quite in right mindset to start meal replacement yet. Working on it though, and have meal replacement products ready.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry geordie you have done it once you will be able to do it again. I have tagged a few members. Apologies if I forgot anyone.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp which shakes do you plan to use?
I saw another thread you recommended slim and shake or something isn't it.
I am really struggling with the sweetness of these shakes.

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello!

I'm currently five days away from the 8 week mark, and am really looking forward to charting your progress and cheering you on! The links in my sig lead to my personal experience - what I ate, daily experience, daily numbers, etc - so I won't type all that up here. Doing it once was hard; I have a ton of respect for you for going around again. I understand that you kinda put yourself in this spot, but there are thousands of diabetics in your same shoes who aren't willing to make the necessary lifestyle changes to manage (and hopefully reverse) their disease, and you deserve nothing but respect.

You will do this.

Are you getting the help/advice of a doctor as you do this? As you are undoubtedly well aware, there can be complications, and having your doctor on board to do regular tests will likely put your mind a bit more at ease and allow you to focus on the diet without excessive second guessing.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp which shakes do you plan to use?
I saw another thread you recommended slim and shake or something isn't it.
I am really struggling with the sweetness of these shakes.
'Shake that weight'. Only available online. Cheap, mixed with water. There is a porridge, assorted shakes, soups, and muesli bars. Also, lower calories and carbs, so you can have 3 meal replacements, and a small meal of veg and lean protein. This still keeps you in under 800 calories a day range. Shake that Weight was recommended by @paulins, who has lost all the excess weight she needed to, and has been removed from diabetes register by her doctor. Check out her posts. Inspirational! Also, Andrew Colvin did Newcastle diet using real food. He has been very successful.

I need a motivational shove here, because despite regaining some of the weight I lost I still have not raised BG levels. I know that could happen, so I am very interested in what @geordie90 has done and is going to do to put things right.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello!

I'm currently five days away from the 8 week mark, and am really looking forward to charting your progress and cheering you on! The links in my sig lead to my personal experience - what I ate, daily experience, daily numbers, etc - so I won't type all that up here. Doing it once was hard; I have a ton of respect for you for going around again. I understand that you kinda put yourself in this spot, but there are thousands of diabetics in your same shoes who aren't willing to make the necessary lifestyle changes to manage (and hopefully reverse) their disease, and you deserve nothing but respect.

You will do this.

Are you getting the help/advice of a doctor as you do this? As you are undoubtedly well aware, there can be complications, and having your doctor on board to do regular tests will likely put your mind a bit more at ease and allow you to focus on the diet without excessive second guessing.

I think all of us managing T2 through Newcastle diet need to remember this is not a one off cure all. As geordie90 has illustrated we will need to remain vigilant and have a follow on plan.

Reactions: 8 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed @Pipp ND will bring your bg's down but we have to work to keep them there. I am using shake that weight but as said if you are not fond of sweet you might not like it that much but I am diluting it with more water than recommended. Banana flavour was the worst out of them all, if you like coffee Caffè latte is really nice and so are others. But I hate sweet coffees as well :) but yes it's a good product and I take 3 of those shakes making it about 400 cals and about 200gm of soup, that can't be 200 calories but I think that's what's mentioned. I am so confused with the vegetable portion as at one place it says you have to eat 240g veggies split into 3 time but then below it also says 200ml soup. So just to be safe I take one soup of allowed veggies which is 200grams and put 3 grams of oil. All in all I should be about 600 calories. For a change yesterday I had salad and weighed it to make exactly 50 calories but that looked huge. Although we're allowed 200 cals of veggies I don't know the reason behind such a small quantity of soup. I don't use stock so I make it purely out of water. My 200 gram soup can not be 200 calories.
Any suggestions?
Am I doing anything wrong or understood wrong.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi all t2 is very confusing isn't it lol
I checked my bloods yday after I'd had white bread, wowsers Sky high, in late teens!! then today scrambled egg and grilled bacon for breakfast, a cheeky 14 mile bike ride checked my bloods and 6.9!!! Which atm for me is low!
I'm looking forward to redoing the diet again and getting right into the exercise again.
Me and gf have put together a gym in garage, very lucky to be able to do that I appreciate, but when I did it last time I soon realised exercise is also key to the diet.
I was really quite fit by the end but lost a lot of muscle mass and looked like a bobble head, going to try to focus on keeping my size, muscle wise, but lose the fat internally and externally is my goal.
I know my sugars will be fine as will cholesterol etc, but there's no denying its going to be tough but going to do it

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agreed @Pipp ND will bring your bg's down but we have to work to keep them there. I am using shake that weight but as said if you are not fond of sweet you might not like it that much but I am diluting it with more water than recommended. Banana flavour was the worst out of them all, if you like coffee Caffè latte is really nice and so are others. But I hate sweet coffees as well :) but yes it's a good product and I take 3 of those shakes making it about 400 cals and about 200gm of soup, that can't be 200 calories but I think that's what's mentioned. I am so confused with the vegetable portion as at one place it says you have to eat 240g veggies split into 3 time but then below it also says 200ml soup. So just to be safe I take one soup of allowed veggies which is 200grams and put 3 grams of oil. All in all I should be about 600 calories. For a change yesterday I had salad and weighed it to make exactly 50 calories but that looked huge. Although we're allowed 200 cals of veggies I don't know the reason behind such a small quantity of soup. I don't use stock so I make it purely out of water. My 200 gram soup can not be 200 calories.
Any suggestions?
Am I doing anything wrong or understood wrong.
The vegetables are for fiber, not nutrients. I don't know if eating them all at once matters from a fiber perspective, but you are just trying to keep your colon healthy (my understanding, and I am not a doctor).

There is strong evidence that weight loss on a VLCD does not measurably improve once you get below 700-800 calories, so don't stress a couple calories here or there. I've been losing close to five pounds a week, and I'm having more like 400 mL of soup per day - and using chicken stock, and using a moderate amount of olive oil, so it's got even more calories in it. I'm making some of that up with exercise.

But to answer your question, the study was suggesting either 240g of vegetable fiber or 200 mL of fiber vegetable soup - again, my understanding, I didn't hear that from anyone involved in the study, but it is based on seven weeks of experience.