Newcastle Diet survivors - where are they now?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frivolous title, serious question.

I'm curious because I've done my time with very low calorie diets (anyone remember the Cambridge Diet, 1st time round? That was just 330 calories a day.). And I'm very, very wary. Three times I lost significant amounts of weight. Three times I celebrated. And three times I put all the weight back on and then added more. Did I mention that I'm wary?

But now I'm reading stuff on how effective such diets are in removing organ fat, and the benefits to diabetes...

I have no intention of ever dieting by counting calories and enduring such hunger, ever again - but...

If you did the Newcastle Diet some time ago
  • What effect did it have on your health?
  • Did you lose what you wanted?
  • Have you regained some/all/more?
  • Did it affect your metabolism long term (if so, how)
  • Would you recommend it?
Statistics on most diets usually see a 90+ failure rate, with only tiny percentages keeping the weight off long term. How does Newcastle compare?
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/67422.php
http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/why-diets-dont-work/
Please note, neither of these links address the thorny issue of diabetic diets, and I deliberately haven't posted any Newcastle Diet links, because I'm asking for YOUR experiences, not some journalist/researcher's over view.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as you would know from experience, you need to change for life what and how you eat. Being pre-diabetic, why put yourself through a 800cal diet, even if mimicking barometric surgery has been shown to put diabetes into remission for a large %?
I'd be more inclined to work out a healthy diet you can live with for the rest of your life.
get the carbs down till you don't have cravings and in control
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as you would know from experience, you need to change for life what and how you eat. Being pre-diabetic, why put yourself through a 800cal diet, even if mimicking barometric surgery has been shown to put diabetes into remission for a large %?

I wouldn't. I'm asking for people's experiences on the diet, not considering doing it myself.

I'd be more inclined to work out a healthy diet you can live with for the rest of your life.
get the carbs down till you don't have cravings and in control
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

Thanks, but I have, and am (most of the time). Weight loss is no longer a priority for me. I have other, better priorities to feed nowadays. Lol.

I am curious whether this Newcastle Diet has any better long term outcomes outcomes than the VLC diets I tried, some 30 years ago.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As with anything else, I think it comes back to focus and motivation. Some people learn to change their habits for good and others don't. There's also a very high failure rate with bariatric surgery. Avoiding complications from diabetes is a huge motivator for some; for others not. Though people actually prepared to undertake the Newcastle Diet in the first place are already highly motivated - hopefully that translates into the longer term, but I don't recall seeing any stats about it.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunneria, I got the wrong end of the stick, but like indi, I haven't heard of a long term evaluation of the Newcastle diet

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jack, no worries!

I suppose I appreciate how difficult these VLC diets are, and what an achievement it is to lose a significant amount of weight - so I would love this diet to be the one that bucks the trend and has a long term success rate. But I'm wondering if it is a false hope.

o_O

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
regarding weight, I saw some diet stats on vids on youtube and they compared several diets, Statistically, most finish back where they were in 5 or 10 years [can't remember the exact time frame]

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Still no participants reporting back.

I'm mainly interested in the short term metabolic change and the claims that this diet can 'reverse diabetes'.

I am a 'normal' BMI and still T2 - so I am actively wondering if it the 'starvation' period which flushes all the fats out of the liver and pancreas and so if it is applicable to those who are at a steady weight or slowly losing weight.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many threads on the forum about the Newcastle Diet by various people that have tried it - if you do a search for it at the top of the page you should find quite a few.

There's also a lot of information about it at the website:
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm
An article by Prof Taylor:
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/4/1047.long
A lecture by Prof Taylor:
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
An article about a success story:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/420227/Man-cures-his-diabetes-in-11-days-with-starvation-diet

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A video uploaded by Richard Doughty who was referenced in the Express article above about another person who tried it:

C

catherinecherub

There is a longer research study going on with regard to the Newcastle Diet, a five year study started in 2013.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Researc...t/Research-spotlight-low-calorie-liquid-diet/

I don't recall many people coming beck here to report their success after using the Newcastle Diet and know of a couple who are back to square one that no longer post here. They seem to be forever dieting rather than being able to maintain their weight loss.

I don't think the Newcastle diet teaches you anything about long term management and the euphoria that existed when it was first reported seems to have died down.

It would be great if people with success stories were able to post here but the earlier participants on this forum seem to have vanished.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I have read about the Newcastle diet but have never been tempted to follow it.

My BMI is slightly above 25 now, but I consider it OK for a somewhat 'elderly woman'. Recent research seems to point to the fact that the mortality in elderly woman with a bit higher BMI is somewhat lower than for those with a rather low BMI.

A few years ago, I lost 15 kg (by diet and exercize) and have maintained that weight loss. I think what maintained my weight loss (apart from watching my weight as a hawk - ha!) - was my diabetes diagnosis. Shortly after that I went on a rather low carb diet and started to freely eat fats.

Well, for what it is worth, this is my take ...

annelise

- but I too would be interested about long-term follow-ups on the Newcastle diet

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all.

Indy, those links are interesting.

Would love to hear from someone who's been through it.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Frivolous title, serious question.

I'm curious because I've done my time with very low calorie diets (anyone remember the Cambridge Diet, 1st time round? That was just 330 calories a day.). And I'm very, very wary. Three times I lost significant amounts of weight. Three times I celebrated. And three times I put all the weight back on and then added more. Did I mention that I'm wary?

But now I'm reading stuff on how effective such diets are in removing organ fat, and the benefits to diabetes...

I have no intention of ever dieting by counting calories and enduring such hunger, ever again - but...

If you did the Newcastle Diet some time ago
  • What effect did it have on your health?
  • Did you lose what you wanted?
  • Have you regained some/all/more?
  • Did it affect your metabolism long term (if so, how)
  • Would you recommend it?
Statistics on most diets usually see a 90+ failure rate, with only tiny percentages keeping the weight off long term. How does Newcastle compare?
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/67422.php
http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/why-diets-dont-work/
Please note, neither of these links address the thorny issue of diabetic diets, and I deliberately haven't posted any Newcastle Diet links, because I'm asking for YOUR experiences, not some journalist/researcher's over view.

I started Newcastle diet September 2011 for 9 weeks. Was 137kg at start, 115kg at finish. Had a break, weight stayed stable. Resumed Newcastle diet April 2012 for 6 weeks. Weight dropped to 95kg. Have regained some weight, now weigh 102kg, as I have needed two major operations and been immobile since December 2013. Operations were not due to or related to diabetic complications HbA1c has been below diabetic range since November 2011. Recovery from major surgery was easier than anticipated.

I found the Newcastle diet method much easier than others, and I have tried many over the years, due to the disciplined approach of eating nothing but the diet drinks and water. I chose to use Lipotrim, which does not include vegetables or any thing apart from the products and water. My goal was to reverse my T2 diabetes, which was achieved. I am aware that I have more weight to lose, and need to exercise more if I do not want to undo the good effects. As soon as I am able I will be exercising daily in water, as this is the only comfortable way for me due to disabilities. I will, with medical support, possibly repeat the Newcastle diet method, from time to time,as the fast weight loss is encouraging. In the meantime, I have been eating a diet of lots of veg, low carb and fat, with lean protein. Although Lipotrim was good, it was extreme, - no food at all apart from the products. In future, if I was to use Newcastle method I would replace Lipotrim with similar supermarket products.

Most important thing for me is that although I still am obese, (though less so than I was) I have been 'diabetes free' since November 2011.
Hope this helps.

Pipp

Reactions: 13 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started Newcastle diet September 2011 for 9 weeks. Was 137kg at start, 115kg at finish. Had a break, weight stayed stable. Resumed Newcastle diet April 2012 for 6 weeks. Weight dropped to 95kg. Have regained some weight, now weigh 102kg, as I have needed two major operations and been immobile since December 2013. Operations were not due to or related to diabetic complications HbA1c has been below diabetic range since November 2011. Recovery from major surgery was easier than anticipated.

I found the Newcastle diet method much easier than others, and I have tried many over the years, due to the disciplined approach of eating nothing but the diet drinks and water. I chose to use Lipotrim, which does not include vegetables or any thing apart from the products and water. My goal was to reverse my T2 diabetes, which was achieved. I am aware that I have more weight to lose, and need to exercise more if I do not want to undo the good effects. As soon as I am able I will be exercising daily in water, as this is the only comfortable way for me due to disabilities. I will, with medical support, possibly repeat the Newcastle diet method, from time to time,as the fast weight loss is encouraging. In the meantime, I have been eating a diet of lots of veg, low carb and fat, with lean protein. Although Lipotrim was good, it was extreme, - no food at all apart from the products. In future, if I was to use Newcastle method I would replace Lipotrim with similar supermarket products.

Most important thing for me is that although I still am obese, (though less so than I was) I have been 'diabetes free' since November 2011.
Hope this helps.

Pipp

To add to my previous post, in response to the questions asked by Brunneria:

The effects on my health were:
Blood glucose levels became normal range within a week and have remained so
Blood pressure medication reduced
Asthma much improved, less use of inhalers
Less pain from arthritic joints
Better sleep quality and increased energy levels
Eczema flare ups which were out of control are now rare occurrences

Did I lose what I wanted?
I wanted to lose the diabetes, and after two and a half years I seem to have done so
Weight loss of 42kg was more than I could have imagined
I still have weight to lose, plus of course loose skin, but I am of an age and stage of life where that is not so important to me as the loss of the potential diabetic complications
I did - intentionally- lose the big, really big, clothes which was a bonus.
I also lost the feeling of being powerless to do anything to halt the diabetic decline, previously believing it was inevitable that the long term detriment to my health was out of my control.

Have I gained some weight?
Yes, but in the grand scheme of things I am not too concerned. Having gained 7 or 8 kg over the two years since I did the Newcastle diet programme still leaves me 35kg lighter than I was at the start. Also, my reason for doing the diet was not primarily for weight loss, but to sort my diabetes. So feel it was successful with the weight loss a bonus.

Has it affected my metabolism?
Not sure about this. If I eat more than minimal amount of carbohydrate foods I gain weight. However,
I regard this as a positive as it keeps me focussed on maintaining good diet. I believe that my previous "healthy" diet of high carbs - pasta, rice etc- had been a contributory factor in my diabetic status. Also I think it is important to use the time on the extreme Newcastle diet to reconsider eating habits. No use thinking of it as a quick fix. If after completing the programme you return to the same eating pattern you had previously then it is inevitable that you will regain the weight. Having dieted many times in the past I always regained all the weight and some in addition. This has not happened with Newcastle diet.

Would I recommend it?

Yes, with caution. You need to be motivated. For me, in addition to clinging to the hope of reversing diabetes, was the alternative medical advice to consider bariatric surgery. That seemed to be taking the control away from me, and I am quite mistrustful of surgeons. You need support, both from medical professionals and family/friends. I was amazed at the doctors and nurses who were sceptical, as they wanted to stick to the NHS protocol. I had to argue my case several times till I got their supprt. Also, it is amazing how people, even casual acquaintances think it is ok to comment on your rapid weight loss, and the fact that you are not eating meals. Even worse, so called friends who try to sabotage your efforts. Eg "surely it won't do any harm if you cheat and have just one night out for slap up meal and drinks with us?" I would suggest anyone considering it should think before hand about who they will tell, think about appropriate ways to respond to unhelpful people, choose a time when you won't have celebrations involving food, and if possible not too much other stress and if you feel determined enough go for it. I will probably use the method again in the near future, as I do still have a way to go with weight loss, and I do not want to be diabetic again.

I think the main reason people gain weight following dieting is that they return to old habits. For me, the time spent on total food replacement regime gave me the space to think carefully about how I had come to be in the state of being twice my recommended weight, with diabetes and other co-morbidities, and also to consider what I was going to do to prevent the weight gain after I stopped the diet. The rapid weight loss has been a motivating factor in working not to regain the weight because the transformation was so quick. I know gradual weight loss is recommended as the way for people to keep the weight off, but for me, the slow way never worked as a gradual transformation in appearance, comfort etc just did not motivate.

Finally I think it was Kate Moss who once said "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". I would say "nothing tastes as good as diabetes reversal feels".

Reactions: 19 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!

I really appreciate the effort you have gone to with your posts. And what wonderful detail.

Exactly the sort of information I was hoping for.

And CONGRATULATIONS on the brilliant outcome!!!

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you!

I really appreciate the effort you have gone to with your posts. And what wonderful detail.

Exactly the sort of information I was hoping for.

And CONGRATULATIONS on the brilliant outcome!!!

Thank you. I worried that I had rambled on too much.

I hope my experience can be of assistance to others, and that anyone who feels it isn't for them doesn't feel disheartened. We each have to find our own way of dealing with / managing diabetes.

One last thing, on the Total Food Replacement (Lipotrim) Newcastle diet apart from the first two days I did not feel at all hungry. In fact, I felt an incredible sense of wellbeing. A primeval survival response perhaps?

Be well

Pipp

Reactions: 6 people

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
I did the Newcastle diet a couple of years back and lost two stone in two months, the main thing for me though was that my levels became prediabetic.
I also exercised a lot during the two month diet and felt excellent, my sugars were never above 6 and i had to go and buy a whole new wardrobe.
Inevitably though once i stopped the diet and with no alternative diet forthcoming I put on two thirds of the weight lost but never reached the previous weight levels which i suppose is an achievement.
I contacted the Prof at Newcastle Uni and suggested not only using the diet as a shock tactic start to a new eating regime but then producing a follow up diet once the two months was over, unfortunately as far as i am aware that hasnt happened.
I would do it again as it is not that hard, but would want a follow on diet devised for once the two months is over.
Once again I felt brilliant, was superfit due to exercise, in fact I was playing rugby, as a prop, and actually said to the ref when he blew for fulltime after 80 mins can we not keep playing a bit longer as i had never felt so good lol.

Reactions: 9 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
@geordie90
Why not "modify" the diet to suit you as a maintenance eating plan?
Just a thought

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.