Newcastle Diet with Slim Fast

Micheller

Hi there

I have been on the Newcastle Diet since Monday this week but using Slimfast. So far weight loss is 6lbs and my pre and post dinner BG levels are generally 5-5.5, however my fasting levels are still in the 10's and I'm seriously starving hungry. I know that if I keep drinking water it will fill me up but I'm going to the loo a lunatic amount of times during the day/night. When do you think I should start seeing a diff in my FBG? Am I being impatient? How do I keep on the straight and narrow?

FYI I'm on 2x850g metformin per day which I am still taking due to my FBG level still being high and scaring the poop out of me :oops:

Help please.
X

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's two or three threads on forum covering the NC diet, use the search facility at the top to see if there's any answers there.

Defren

Hi Michelle, I am almost at the end of week four of the ND. The hunger pangs will ease. The reason you feel this way is due to your body getting used to a drastic cut in carbs. The symptoms you are experiencing are commonly called Atkins flu, they appear as your body changes from a food intake machine into a ketosis (fat) burning machine. A ketogenic body is a much more efficient way of keeping us full of energy. Look at it this way; when a runner runs, if s/he were on a ordinary diet, once the body runs out of fuel from ingested food, it will stall. However, with a ketognic runner, we all store a good amount of fuel as fat, so the ketogenic body will not run out of fuel. Much more efficient.

The symptoms of Atkins flu are really awful, but the good news is they are short lived. People usually hit ketosis at around 3-5 days. Once you are into ketosis you will suddenly find the symptoms vanish and you have loads, and loads more energy. I was fortunate, I was already ketogenic before I began the ND as I was on <20g of carbs a day. Honestly, keep going and you will feel so much better really soon. You FBG as well as all your other readings will improve, just give your body chance to get its self caught up with what you are doing. Good luck.

[edit to add] You can read my diary where I have posted my experiences and BG levels every day. There is good and bad, as I have kept it as real as I found it all. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28731