Newcastle Dieters Advice

nothing56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has done the ND.

I’m coming to the end of my first attempt at this. As of today I have lost 15.1% of my body weight since starting.

When I first started the diet I was on Metformin. By fasting levels were coming in at about 4.2-4.4. I then came off Metformin and my levels raised to the 5-5.4 range. (This was expected as metformin usually reduces your fasting levels by up 1).

2hrs after a meal I have not seen levels higher than 8 when on the shakes.

However I have been doing some experimentation as I come to the end and recently tried egg on toast. 1hr after I spiked to 8.8 and at 2 I was at 6.8.

I had a starting weight of about 120kg and am now around 100kg so still quite overweight and I know that based on Prof Taylor’s research each person has a PFT. BMI is not that important.

What im trying to assess is how close this is too normal or what others experienced?

Would you say I have passed the threshold or not?

I think that I probably haven’t passed my PFT and need to keep losing weight. (Ill move to a LCHF for a change)

I’m also thinking that the metformin having a large effect on my fasting numbers is probably down to continued high insulin resistance which weightless will continue to help with.

Any and all comments welcomed

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nobody knows where their own PFT is, never mind anyone else's, so I won't speculate on that. I will do what I do best though, and ask you lots of questions (your profile doesn't tell me much) - some of which might help inform some of your feedback.

Having lost your 20kg (very well done on that, in itself), where does that place your BMI?
In terms of body shape, both at outset and now, did or do you carry any weight around your middle?
Why are you finishing the ND at 8 weeks? Have you considered going on longer, as you say you still have weight to lose?
How do you intend to tackle eating/diet once you finish the ND?

I'll probably ask more questions when I read your answers, if that's OK.

nothing56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Ask as many questions as you like.

With regard to the diet i was looking at stopping the shake aspect of it. Originally i set a target of 8ish weeks to lose 15% of my body weight based upon the original study. I know that Prof Taylor states that its not so much how you achieve the loss, its doing it in say 6 months or so. But the initial simplicity of the diet was easy for me to follow so replication as close as possible was my aim.

My intention is not to stop the weight loss, just to move from the mostly liquid VLC diet to LCHF, which i believe will be more maintainable for me long term and will also assist with my blood numbers if i don't see further improvements.

As for BMI i'm sitting at 34. So still very overweight and a small reduction of 4" from my waist. I know that the visceral fat is really the most important and that is the area i have seen the least reduction.

I think the crux of my questions is really about understanding how to track progress, not on the weight but on the normalisations of the blood numbers and then to understand what success is.

I have done quite a lot of reading around what normal numbers are but there seems to be no hard and fast rule.

For example in the ND study the control group based on this diagram.

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/uploads/default/32818/11c2a6d849e4689f.jpg

Sit as the 5.1-2 mark. However looking through other users posts they seem to be targeting the low 4's.