Newly Diagnosed 8yr old Son

Bluesus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 on 22nd Feb after a bad case of Scarlet Fever and BGL of 41.1. :-(
Since leaving hospital we have reduced his insulin significantly from 10 units a day to 1 unit and he is still hypoing daily. Apparently its the "honeymoon" period. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this or had any advice? Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the @Bluesus

Yes that is so typical of the Honeymoon Period, all I would say is keep in touch with your sons diabetes team who will advise you further on insulin adjustments. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Bluesus - welcome to the forum.

Yes this is fairly typical of the honeymoon period, the pancreas is less stressed once there is a supply of insulin being injected so then starts firing up again, just keep a watchful eye, sounds like you are already doing a great job ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluesus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Bluesus - welcome to the forum.
Thank you, its been a bumpy 5 weeks :)

Yes this is fairly typical of the honeymoon period, the pancreas is less stressed once there is a supply of insulin being injected so then starts firing up again, just keep a watchful eye, sounds like you are already doing a great job ;)

Tarajeano

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Excuse me, but how did you come to find out your son was diabetic? I'm concerned my daughter might be, but her glucose the other night was 82. But shes got every sign besides that important one.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Excuse me, but how did you come to find out your son was diabetic? I'm concerned my daughter might be, but her glucose the other night was 82. But shes got every sign besides that important one.

Hello Tara - I would get your daughter in to see a doctor and get her checked over, her blood glucose reading is non-diabetic but there may be another cause for this, a friends daughter was displaying similar symptoms last year, so losing weight, dehydrated, it was down to the fact she wasn't eating or drinking enough - she's absolutely fine now :)