Newly diagnosed - first of many questions

peterp

Hi all,

Have lurked on here for a couple of weeks and followed some of the discussions and debates with interest.

I was diagnosed type 2 about 8 weeks ago following some routine blood tests prior to an unrelated operation. I had absolutely no symptoms prior to the diagnosis so it came as a bit of a shock, the initial Hba1c was 7.8%. Blood glucose was in the double digit range.

My first stop was the bookshop where I bought a copy of Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Solution which is an impressive piece of work. I changed my diet and excluded all the foods that I previously supposed were good for me; potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc etc and adopted the low carb approach (20-30 grams a day). I eat a varied diet consisting mainly of salads, meats, fish, vegetables etc. Snacks that were previously multi-layered, multi-ingredient sandwiches followed by biscuits of any and all descriptions are now things like olives, nuts and deli meats etc. All sugar has, as far as possible, been eliminated.

My blood glucose numbers have come down from 11-12 to this weeks average (from 30 readings) of 5.1 and my weight has dropped by 16kg. My question is, will the blood glucose numbers continue to come down and if so where's a sensible place to try and stop?

The low carb thing appears to be working for me. 8)

Regards

Pete (aged 51 and a half)

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hello peterp,

Excellent job with the figures. Going by your averages(and assuming you've tested at the
right times), your next Hba1c should be an improvement over 7.8.
A doctor will be happy with a diabetic Hba1c of around 6.5%, although the average
non-diabetic's Hba1c is around 4.5%.

Good luck,
timo.
:arrow: Hba1c INFO