Newly diagnosed...please does anyone know if volvic sugar free flavoured water is okay to drink

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed...please does anyone know if volvic sugar free flavoured water is okay to drink as currently I drink about 3 litres a day...I’m concerned about the additives...potassium benzoate and acesulfame k and sucralose..thank you!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't drink anything with an ose in it, like sucralose.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only way you’ll know is to test your blood sugars. In theory sweeteners shouldn't raise your blood sugars but some people find they do. I can tolerate most, except saccharine. One school of thought is to steer clear of sweetened stuff all together to retrain your taste not to want sweet things. I’m not in that camp though! :joyful:

Reactions: Petaluk

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you.. I’m just freaked out by what to eat or not eat,so much conflicting information on the web and in books. My first red flag was 13 mmol after a 2 hour fast and today I got my 3 month result back as 56 .. so I’m definitely diabetic..I’ve been prescribed metformin 500 mg then 1000mg in a weeks time. I’ve been on very low Atkins style diet as panicked what to eat 10 days ago... I have lost A stone..my weight now is 17.8 stones I’m 5’5”

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What does it say on the back of the bottle in terms of carbohydrate?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Petaluk I’ve Just realised this is your first post. My apologies, welcome! Let me tag in @daisy1 for her helpful intro post.
I was diagnosed 11 months ago and I’m on Metformin too. From advice from this forum I started eating low carb and self monitoring. My HbA1c was down to a non diabetic level in four months and has stayed there ever since. This has also resulted in 5 1/2 stone weight loss.
Have a read around the forums and ask any other questions you may have.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Petaluk I’ve Just realised this is your first post. My apologies, welcome! Let me tag in @daisy1 for her helpful intro post.
I was diagnosed 11 months ago and I’m on Metformin too. From advice from this forum I started eating low carb and self monitoring. My HbA1c was down to a non diabetic level in four months and has stayed there ever since. This has also resulted in 5 1/2 stone weight loss.
Have a read around the forums and ask any other questions you may have.
Yes sorry .. my first post, should have said lol..hello everyone

Reactions: porl69

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am in the opposite camp to @Rachox when it comes to sweeteners.
For some people, not everyone, sweeteners can promote weight gain in a round about fashion. Here's why, we put food/drink into our mouths and immediately the brain sends out messages. When that message is about (especially) sweet tasting foods the body expects a glucose hit and acts accordingly. In the case of artificial sweeteners there is obviously no glucose hit so the the brain says 'Eh? No glucose? I might be running a bit short so I will send a hunger signal'. This in turn can lead to over eating thus weight gain.

There are other reasons why I steer clear of sweeteners but they are opinions rather than being based on clinical evidence.

Reactions: eggs11 and Rachox

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ive just been eating chicken - no skin ...prawns with low fat mayo and splash of ketchup homemade sauce with leafy salad tomatoes avacardo ...porridge...hovis granary 1 slice with 3 poached eggs...Hartley sugar free jelly pot as treat... strawberries just a few...walnuts , couple as snack...today I had a pot of Sainsburys chicken broth soup ( fresh) 6g sugar..no caffeine as have trouble sleeping..but have started smoking as so stressed and just read its bad for your feet...my eye sight is terrible and my feet ache...so scared by the diagnosis

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have a blood sugar monitor? It might be worth starting testing if you don’t already. A lot of us would find porridge and bread raise our sugars too much.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in the opposite camp to @Rachox when it comes to sweeteners.
For some people, not everyone, sweeteners can promote weight gain in a round about fashion. Here's why, we put food/drink into our mouths and immediately the brain sends out messages. When that message is about (especially) sweet tasting foods the body expects a glucose hit and acts accordingly. In the case of artificial sweeteners there is obviously no glucose hit so the the brain says 'Eh? No glucose? I might be running a bit short so I will send a hunger signal'. This in turn can lead to over eating thus weight gain.

There are other reasons why I steer clear of sweeteners but they are opinions rather than being based on clinical evidence.
I can’t drink just water..I know it sounds silly..but I can’t drink more than a couple of glasses of plain water..

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can’t drink just water..I know it sound silly..but I can’t drink more than a couple of glasses of plain water..

I hate plain water too! :hungover:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do you drink?
If I start gaining weight as @Guzzler explained might happen, I would reconsider but for now the weight is still dropping slowly, so I’m happy to have drinks with sweeteners. I suggest you research sweeteners and test, to reach a decision that’s right for you.
I drink no added sugar squashes and occasional Diet Pepsi.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.. I’m just freaked out by what to eat or not eat,so much conflicting information on the web and in books. My first red flag was 13 mmol after a 2 hour fast and today I got my 3 month result back as 56 .. so I’m definitely diabetic..I’ve been prescribed metformin 500 mg then 1000mg in a weeks time. I’ve been on very low Atkins style diet as panicked what to eat 10 days ago... I have lost A stone..my weight now is 17.8 stones I’m 5’5”
hey dear there are lots of treats you can eat and also foods, you just need to learn to eat in a totally other way, all kinds of nuts you can eat most kinds of cheese all kinds of meat and fish (but without coating though), tomatoes cucumbers olives salats , zuchini, lidl high protein rolls instead of bread.
berries, Strawberries , Rasberries, blueberries with creme or sourcream,avocado shrimps,

Avoid bread , pasta, potatoes and grains ... sugar and cakes and sweets and anything with sugar , juice, fruits..

here is a link to some delicious kinds of treats you can enjoy so you don´t feel totally deprived from life and treats...

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/g3593/low-carb-recipes/?slide=95
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/category/Recipes
https://draxe.com/low-carb-desserts/

Last edited:

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hey dear there is lots of treats you can eat and also foods, you just need to learn to eat in a totally other way, all kinds of nuts you can eat most kinds of cheese all kinds of meat and fish (but without coating though), tomatoes cucumbers olives salats , zuchini, lidl high protein rolls instead of bread.
berries, Strawberries , Rasberries, blueberries with creme or sourcream,

Avoid bread , pasta, potatoes and grains ... sugar and cakes and sweets and anything with sugar , juice, fruits..

here is a link to some delicious kinds of treats you can enjoy so you don´t feel totally deprived from life and treats...

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/g3593/low-carb-recipes/?slide=95
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/category/Recipes
https://draxe.com/low-carb-desserts/
Thank you

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please Please calm down... I had big bloody non healed cracks on my feet - I hobbled as a cripple. Just now your target is to bring the BG to normal levels! My cracks healed within three months after stabilization of BG (under 6 for most of the time).

Start LCHF diet, measure, read forum, ask, you have a time...
Oh my gosh ..sorry to hear that ..glad you are ok now x

Reactions: rom35

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and try to count the number of grams of carbs you eat in a day and stay under 150 grams, then most type 2 diabetics do get back to normal blood glucose levels, but it is forever..., but really many end up enjoying the foods and the lifestyle too when they gain control, by the way long walks are also good for lowering blood glucose and to do some regular exercise is also of great value..