newly diagnosed questions!

supple1937

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a 39 year old female. I was diagnosed Type 1 six weeks ago and at the time had lost lots of weight quickly and had all the other typical symptoms of rapid onset diabetes including increased thirst, going to the loo more and a pounding heart (thought this was due to the dehydration).

For years before this I had sometimes had feelings of low blood sugar and had always carried sugary foods with me and had often wondered if I was diabetic but have had three children and tests for diabetes were always clear. So I find it strange that I have been diagnosed with Type 1 as I feel I may have suffered problems in the past. Can there be a reason for this?

Also, since I was diagnosed and spent four days in hospital the amount of insulin has been reduced from 8,6 and 8 units of Novo-Rapid in the day with meals and 16 units of Lantus at night to no insulin with meals and only 6 units of Lantus at night.
I have been told I'm in the honeymoon period. How long will this honeymoon period last? I am also bit worried as I feel I have pounding/racing heart now similar to when I became ill six weeks ago. Diabetes nurse told me I'm anxious but feel like it's there most of the time and my heart races more when have done normal things like walked up stairs or had a shower. Why might I have a pounding/racing heart?

Thanks very much for listening, would really appreciate any advice.Learning about diabetes is a lot to take in at the moment!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
firstly the honeymoon period can last a differing amount of time in different people, as for the racing heart ,it may just be anxiety, its very scary when you are first diagnosed, for now just relax and take each day at a time, you are lucky that you found here straight away as i didnt find it for 4 years and ive learnt so much from others on this forum,
just keep asking the questions and you will get there i promise :D

supple1937

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks very much for reply. Am getting used to it all slowly and find it really helpful to learn more via this forum.

Thanks again!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
just keep asking the questions,there is always someone willing to help on ere :D

lilibet

Hi supple

Hi, I was diagnosed in Sept 08, and am still in honeymoon apparently.
Dont think its uncommon to drastically cut insulin in the early days (which kind of makes you think, hmmm, maybe im not REALLY diabetic and its all been a big MISTAKE) but am led to believe that all honeymoon comes to an end. I was told it can last from weeks to up to a year (more so in kids I think).
I too had probs with low blood sugar and had similar thoughts to you on diagnosis but to be honest non diabetics do get low blood sugar if they dont eat for a long time (often in work I would have coffee and nothing else until after 2pm) so dont think this really had any bearing on it. I also found it impossible to lose weight despite low calorie intake so also wondered whether I had metabolic probs for years but didnt have them picked up. To be honest though, dont think you can be type 1 for years before crisis hits (as you say, rapid onset- i too was in hosp at diagnosis) though they think that destruction of beta cells may start long before this.
Unlikely to be years though - though they just dont know!)

The rapid heart beat thing is funny though. I too get this, and go through spells of it. Funny you should mention stairs cause they do that to me too! I am very exercise intolerant and havent been able to do much since dx. Despite a recent A1c of 5.1% :D , I still dont feel back to normal but am undergoing investigation for other stuff

So, dont accept anxiety as the cause (though it could be) and if you continue to feel unwell get your GP to check you out cause autoimmune probs dont always exist in isolation. Have BP, thyroid, iron checked for starters.

L x

supple1937

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi L,

Thanks Lilibet for your reply. It was good to hear from someone else going through the honeymoon period!

It was really helpful to know I am not alone worrying about things like pounding/racing heart and getting used to all that living with diabetes means. It's a steep learning curve! Sometimes I feel it's not a problem and other times it's a bit overwhelming and I feel out of control of my own body!

I have an appointment with my consultant next month to see if my control is better ( is that the Hc level?) My level was 10 when I was in hospital so hopefully it will be better than that!
iIwill ask about the racing heart again although I feel it may be dismissed, I will have to be more assertive about my health!

Generally I think my control is ok at the moment and I'm following a low-ish carb diet as not taking insulin in day which seems to be working ok at moment. Do you take insulin in day at moment?

Thanks once again for your reply. It made me feel much better to feel I'm not so alone!

All the best,
Cath Supple x

Trinkwasser

Check your BG when you get the racing heart thing, it can be a symptom of hypo or rapid BG drops causing a dump of adrenaline and cortisol.

Endocrine problems tend to travel in gangs so might be an idea if you were to get your thyroid (including T3 and T4 if possible) and adrenal function checked to be on the safe side