Newly diagnosed - too much to absorb

Nightwishing1984

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having feeling a but run down (so to say) for quite a bit of the year, having blurry eyes, Increased hunger, Pins and needles I put it down to stress at work and not diabetes. But the last few months can't remember a night I did not get up to pee in the night and pins and needles constant went the doctors.

Blood tests and a reassurance I am not silly, got called to go in yesterday with a wee sample. Confirmed diabetic, give me Metformin and have to take 1 a day gradually increasing to 3 a day... Got to go for blood test for HBa1 , dietician will call, same for podiatrist and optician then go back in 3 months.... He told me other things and to be honest too much information (wish I had taken a notebook) I told my boss when I went work and he was like you seem calm considering situation, I can't change it and it is a manageable illness. I do hope the tablets make me feel more normal again and return feeling in hands. I do feel silly for maybe not going sooner

I did ask the doctor if it is as I am overweight (only by 1st ish), he said probably not as I have it on both sides of the family and overall more than 6 people have it.

I have said to my boss I will try to get appointment beginning or end of the day but will try not too affect work, but do feel a bit apprehensive that I may not.

Feels more real writing it down now, I keep googling and just a mass of information.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, it may take a month to get your head around this
it's a heck of a shock when we are told diabetic, take a breath, the hard part is over, you have been diagnosed and the metformin will help in 3 weeks..you may get belly problems with metformin at first, if it goes on, ask the DSr for the slow release.
diet is the may way to get your blood glucose BG in range, as well as sugar, you will need to reduce bread pasta rice potato
have a read around the forum and ask lots of questions

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, welcome, you need look no further than this brilliant forum for reassurance and advice. I'm sure your boss will be glad to have a more productive employee when you can manage your condition.
There'll be some more stuff for you on here to browse shortly but unlike the implacable world of Google it's all pointing in the same direction.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It is a lot to take in, but glad to see you aren't panicking about it. There is no reason to. First and foremost, take a deep breath and read up about it. This forum is the best place. We are all diabetics with similar problems, but most of all a bit of experience. The Metformin will help eventually, but only to a limited extent. It isn't a miracle drug. Diet is the key to controlling matters, so please don't sit back and expect the tablets to do it all for you. They won't.

Come back and ask as many questions as you wish, and good luck.

A

AnnieC

Hi and welcome yes it is all overwhelming to start with but you seem to have a very positive attitude and that will help you a lot. I take it you were not offered a glucose testing meter by your GP not many T2's are so we tend to buy our own and a lot use the Codefree meter available from Amazon as the testing strips are the cheapest to buy. If you decide to get one it will help you to see which foods raise your BG levels most then you will know which you need to cut down on. Spend time reading as much as you can on the forum there is lots of good advice then take it one step at a time to find out what suits you best we are all different so there is no one diet to suit all it will be mostly trial and error but you will get there

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi welcome to the forum and as others have said when you are ready come back and ask us questions. Don't forget to let us know how you are getting on! :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello Nightwishing1984 and welcome to the forum :)

Take your time to read all the information you find, as there is a lot, but it will help your understanding of diabetes. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. When you are ready, ask lots of questions and there is always someone who can help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Nightwishing1984

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was feeling calm about it... Told my grandparents (as they both have it) my grandad said it's about you have had symptoms on and off for years. (Am I correct it takes years to develop) But the more I read about symptoms I have a lot of them.

My Aunty was there and says 'you are too young to have diabetes, (I am 30) it's all about diet and weight' so now I feel like I have caused this myself even though doctor says very unlikely

About 8 years ago I was overweight )around 15 stone) , split up from an ex partner lost weight and have remained around 11st 7lbs for about 7 years, probably half to 1 stone over weight but nothing major. My blood pressure and cholesterol are normal.

Diet, I rarely eat potatoes, white bread, sweets, chocolate, we eat lots of veggies, fruit etc.... So will be very interested when I see the dietician and see where I may be going wrong. I started a old diary yesterday too.
How long did it take for some of you newly diagnosed to bebe a referral? And should you or shouldn't you get a blood sugar monitor?

And exercise I go Crossfit 3 times a week for an hour a time...

Sorry for been long winded but after thinking it is what it is and I can deal with it, I now feel like I am to blame and no idea why or how..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry I can't answer your post fully, but have a look at this thread. It is not your fault that you have diabetes. I believe diabetes causes people to get fat (through insulin resistance). There are many fat people who don't get diabetes. there are some slim ones who do. Please don't blame yourself. Any way I have to dash out now, have a look at the thread.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dont-involve-yourself-in-the-blame-game.21894/

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Try to get any sense off guilt out of your mind. Your diabetes diagnosis is not any form of punishment for not leading a perfect lifestyle. Who does? Although there is a link between being overweight and diabetes, lots of people much more than a stone overweight do not develop diabetes. You were unlucky enough to pick the genetic short straw.

Anyway, why you got diabetes is of only academic interest now.

What is important is that you learn how to manage your diabetes so as to stay healthy.

The way to do so is by educating yourself by studying the excellent information in this forum and asking lots of questions.

My advice is that the two most important bids of information you should take immediately on board are the following:

First is that despite what your nutritionist or doctor tell you to the contrary, in order to control your diabetes you will probably need to monitor and limit not just your sugar intake but your intake of all carbohydrates( bread, cereals, rice, pasta, potatoes).

Which leads to the second important point that, again despite anything your doctor claims to the contrary, in order to educate yourself on how different foods affect your glucose levels, it is vital that you get a glucose monitor and test your levels immediately before and two hours after each meal.

If your after score is more than 2mmol higher than the corresponding before meal count then your meal included too many carbs and you should adjust your next meal by reducing carbs do as to meet this 2mmol ceiling.

Once you start hitting this 2mmol target consistently, you should also note a reducing trend in your before meal levels as well.

All the best

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

alliebee

A small point too is watch your fruit intake as you said you like it. All fruits are full of sugar..however you can enjoy all the berries..but otherwise test for them to see which ones send you high..some people can tolerate an apple...

Nightwishing1984

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So a few days to sink in a bit more.... Now up to 2 Metformin a day and touch wood no dodgy tummy.

Had bloods on Tue for HBa1c and Lipid (I think)

So my new questions

How long till dietician gets in contact?
How long till optician gets in contact?

And should you get forms for free prescriptions?

And thank you Pavlos for advice

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome. The system her in Australia is different from the UK, so I can't comment. This forum is terrific and people are really helpful. I have been diagnosed 2 months now and doing low carb high fat diet. I test before breakfast and dinner and two hours after each.

Nightwishing1984

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well last night I was a wreck... Too many emotions and life, it started as my grandma has been in and out of hospital last three weeks, sent her home once and she was back in 2 days later. Then sent her home earlier this week she fell in the hallway and less than 2hours been out she was back in hospital. My grandparents have been like my parents growing up, only ever been on holiday with them and never my own parents.

I am worried I am going to lose her, and last night I just cried about it, which then developed into I am diabetic it's not going to go away like a chest infection ( I am asthmatic) it's for life.... And I am going to get ill and die. My grandma has gone downhill in my eyes since been ill and diagnosed diabetic having metmorfin and she has slowly lost most feeling in hand and up arms and it worries me as I have pins and needles in hands, feet and face. I ended up arguing with boyfriend about it, which resulted in why do you want to be with me when I am ill? He ended up going to bed.

I seriously need to give myself a good talking to and pull myself together...

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my dear, I can see from your words you are feeling very distressed by what is happening to your grandma. Your grandma will not want you to worry, but to be strong for you and her. It will help her with her recovery if she can see you getting your diabetes under control and trying to be positive, it will give her strength.

All our journeys are different. When I was diagnosed 2 months ago, I decided to look on the diabetes as a gift, rather than a life sentence. Yes, it is with us for life, but we can control it and we can live a normal life minus a few carbs and sugars. I am very obese and have never been able to control my weight despite taking drastic measures at time to do so. Diabetes is a gift because it is forcing me to take control of my eating and lifestyle. I can still go out to dinner (and have done so), I can still had the odd glass of wine or three, I can still live. As diabetics we have choice and we get to choose our fate. I have pins and needles, but they are starting to improve now I am in control.

I will send positive energy your way. Know this you are not alone and we are here! :)

Reactions: 8 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So a few days to sink in a bit more.... Now up to 2 Metformin a day and touch wood no dodgy tummy.

Had bloods on Tue for HBa1c and Lipid (I think)

So my new questions

How long till dietician gets in contact?
How long till optician gets in contact?

And should you get forms for free prescriptions?

And thank you Pavlos for advice
Hi first thing do not blame yourself - with a history of diabetes in the family there was a strong possibility that you would get it as well. My grandfather and mother had it and now, out of 5 syblings, my brother and I have it. Other siblings have coeliac, eczema and asthma which are also in the family. Any one who is on diabetes meds is entitled to free prescriptions - get a form from the chemist or GP, fill it in and give it the GP and they will do the rest! You should get your card within a fortnight and it is valid for five years. Hope this helps

Nightwishing1984

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been to the dr's this morning and HBa1c levels are 102
From what I have read this is very high...

On an up sode I have had podiatrist and dietician appointments through.

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been to the dr's this morning and HBa1c levels are 102
From what I have read this is very high...

On an up sode I have had podiatrist and dietician appointments through.
Hi again

Yes 102 is high.

At least it will mean that improving on it should not be too difficult to do now that you have your diagnosis.

You now need to educate yourself on how to control it and do not worry as we are all here to help with any questions you may have.

By the way, you have diabetes you are not ill. And having diabetes does not change who you are and I am sure does not change what your boyfriend sees in you.

The diabetes will not define you if you do not let it.

It is a serious medical condition, one you would be very ill advised to ignore, but it is a manageable condition. Many of the steps we need to take in order to control our diabetes, exercise more, eat healthier actually improve our quality of life.

As long as you stay complication free, living with diabetes is not that big a deal.

All the best

Pavlos

Nightwishing1984

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reality check... and like you say its a manageable conditions...

And after my three bad things... on our 7th anniversary the boyfriend proposed to me saying he should have done it sooner .. so a bit of a loft me up to everything at the moment...

I have ordered the code free blood sugar monitor so will help knowing what is helping...

definately not one to ignore, just probably know why I have been shattered and run down for a while...

How much in peoples experience do your HbA1 levels drop in 3 months...