Newly diagnosed with diabetes and cancer

Jennet

So it's a double whammy for me. Blood tests pre-chemotherapy showed a blood glucose of 24.5. I have never had a problem with high blood sugar and all my previous Hba1c tests have been well within the normal range (I have frequent FBCs because I'm hypothyroid).
The DNS says this could be a reaction to the stress of the cancer. Does anyone else have experience of this? I am now taking 80mcg gliclazide - glucose monitoring 4 times a day and fasting is between 12 and 14 so what am I doing wrong?
I pretty much follow a Mediterranean diet generally anyway, and have further reduced carbs and sugar in the last few days. But it is all making me feel terribly despondent, and as if my body is running out of control. I am overweight and I need to take more exercise for sure, so I've been getting out for brisk walks.
Very grateful for anyone with any experience who can help me make sense of what's going on.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jennet, and welcome!

Sounds like you're having a very rough time at the moment.
I don't have experience with cancer myself, but are you taking steroids to help with the cancer treatment? Those tend to raise glucose levels in diabetics drastically. Not sure if they do in non diabetics as well, but it could be a reason why your BG went this high this fast.
fasting is between 12 and 14 so what am I doing wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong, it takes time to find the right balance between medication and diet and everything else, especially with the cancer and the treatment throwing everything off kilter as well!

I don't know what kind of foods you eat, it might be you can improve your numbers some more through that route. However, if you're cutting out more carbs, please make sure to always have your meter and some quick acting glucose on you! Being on gliclazide means you can go low. Which isn't much of a problem, as long as you can treat right away.

Wish you all the best!

Jennet

Thank you. No, I haven't yet started on steroids and that's why I need to get my blood glucose under control now. I am trying hard to stay positive and your reply really helps with that!

Lakeslover

I just wanted to say hi.

9 1/2 years ago I was also diagnosed with breast cancer and diabetes. It is such a shock isn’t it.

I found it best to take one day at a time for a while. You are already taking the right steps to reduce your blood sugar, but while you are having chemo you might find days when you just have to focus on that and eat whatever appeals to you. Just do your best, it doesn’t have to be perfect for you to see a reduction in your hba1c and you can focus more on that when chemo is over.

I don’t know if you have already found it but macmillan have a very good forum with a section for people undergoing treatment for breast cancer which might also help.

Reactions: Antje77 and Jennet

Jennet

Thank you that’s so helpful and kind. I’m reeling from the shock right now, trying to stay strong but basically terrified. This forum helps and I’ll look at the Macmillan site too.

Reactions: muzza3

Lakeslover

I understand that feeling. I promise it does get better as somehow you do learn to live with it.

There is also a macmillan helpline if you need to talk to someone.

feel free to private message me if it helps.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
It isn't just steroids which can increase Blood Glucose.
Amongst other things infection, stress and lack of sleep can also have an effect.
So try to keep calm and not worry too much.