Newly diagnosed.

Clarky

Hello friends.

Just found this forum and thought it would be good to contribute. Until lately I've avoided reading things about diabetes because I didn't want to worry myself unnecessarily, ignorance is bliss apparently.... I've just been trying really hard to control my BG levels.

I'm 28 and was only diagnosed with type 1 about 4-5 months ago.

I don't think I've been doing to bad with it really, especially after reading some of the posts from other people. My main problem has been because I'm so active. I'm a site bricklayer, which is a very demanding job at the best of times, but it's especially competitive now what with the recession.

I started off on just Levimir before bed. This got my BG levels down straight away. I was never especially high, because I recognised the symptoms straight away and got myself to doctor as soon as. But anyway my sugar came down to normal levels very quickly. I was then introduced to Nova Rapid and was advised to take 4 units with my evening meal, which was the only time my sugar was elevated. I was taking 14 Levimir before bed, but was fighting off hypos at work. I gradually started to reduce my Levimir and started introducing a cereal bar in between breaks at work. This kept the hypos at bay and I still didn't need any Nova Rapid with meals at work.

After a while I got more confident with insulin and spotting hypos and started back at the gym. Before diagnosis I was a keen weight lifter and did a fair but of cardio. Anyway I started running 2 miles three times a week and also weight trained three times a week. My Levimir intake dropped rapidly and I still needed no Nova rapid at work. My BG was down to where it should be 2 hrs after eating and the only time I needed to snack was while waiting for my first break at work to avoid a hypo.

All was going fine and I was quite happy with my results. I only needed to get used to adjusting my Nova Rapid with my evening meals.

All of a sudden everything went gone wrong. I've had to increase my Levimir and I'm having to take some Nova Rapid on occasion at work. Not sure why. I've not slowed down, either at work or with the gym.

I've now taken to trying to carb count off my own back. I've asked my nurse to introduce me to this, but she said I didn't need to. So I've started on 1 Nova Rapid to 10g of Carbs and I'm finding it a much easier way to control things.

The other weird thing I've found at work of late is that when I've had my 1st break and have taken my Nova Rapid, two hours after eating my BG is as high as 9, but then half an hour later crashes to 3! I think I need to find the right balance of Levimir again.

My 3 monthly blood tests aren't so bad. The first ever test was 7. The next one went up to 8 whilst I was getting used to insulin. My last one was back down to 7. I see no reason why my next one, next month wont be lower again as I'm gettin more used to things and generally within the correct realms BG wise.

Sorry for the long and boring post, but it's been really good to get this off my chest. It's only my family and my girlfriend that know about my Diabetes and I down play it as much as possible to them, since I don't wont to worry them. If I'm truth full I've found it very difficult. I've gone from never even having the sniffles, let alone visiting the doctor and always being strong and fit to being completely knocked on my **** by diabetes. I hate having been slowed down by this!

Anyway rant over :) That was my story so far. It's nice to meet you all and hopefully my future posts will be happier!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Clarky.
Welcome to the forum. No problem with rants...we all have them some times. Have a good look round and ask questions when you are ready. There is always somone with an answer.... :D

joelcam

I am also newly diagnosed but the 1st thing I did was let everyone know that I work with in case they ever find me collapsed! Are you sure it's wise to not let your work mates know?

Seems like you have things in pretty good control already and sure this will get even better with time.

JC

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya clarky and a warm welcome to the forum :D

glitterzoe

I think someone on here as already kinda answered this one, when you are diagnosed leter on with type 1 you still have some residule insulin in your system. As time goes on this becomes even more depleated and so you find yourself turning more and more to the full insulin dose. Nothing to worry about if you keep on top of things (which by the way you seem to be doing well) keep up the good work.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Clarky
Are you a T1 or T2 insulin dependent?
T1s do sometimees have a "Honeymoon " phase, where everything appears to be going well and then the things that did work don't any more and it's back to square one.
You sound like the sort of young man who will get it all under control again.
In your job, I would ensure that someone knows your situation. Builiding sites are dangerous places and should you have an accident, you need to ensure you get the right treatment and Not Glucose.
Ask your library to get Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution for you. It might give you some of the ansers you need.
Good luck
Hana

howie

hey,

T1 too, 5 months in too also.

i've only just graduated, but professionally no one know's i'm DB and i'm gonna keep it that way.

it was the first time i'd been to the doctor in years for me too. i can't remember the last time i was ill. i've always done weight training, played tennis and enjoyed running. i too thought of myself as strong both physically and mentally and i too have been knocked on my **** big time, mega blow. i know where your coming from.

i think we have to except it does slow us down. whether that means being more organised or whatever. but we should be minimising how much it slows us down (so its almost negligible). which does involve relentless and ongoing hard work. but hey 5 months in it should get easier though. i do pretty much everything i use to, minus recreational drug use.

howie