1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Annieshar, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Annieshar

Annieshar · Member

Thank you so much. I've purchased a monitoring system. I think seeing what works for me is the first step. I'll keep you posted!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Annieshar

Annieshar · Member

3. Annieshar

Annieshar · Member

I'm really sorry to be asking a question again but I'm struggling to fully understand what I'm doing. I used the metre for first time and prior to eating my level was 4.7. When I tested again 2 hours later my level was 12. I'd also done a 30 minute walk after my dinner. Can you help me to understand these readings?

4. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What did you eat? The walk may have helped bring the level down a bit, but it only went high becuase of what you ate. Whatever it was was too carby for you.
    Aim to have a rise of only 2 after each meal, so in this example a start at 4.7 (which is brilliant) should go to no more than 6.7 2 hours after eating.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Annieshar

Annieshar · Member

Thank you! I thought I'd see how it went with wholegrain pasta. I had pesto and pancetta with it.

6. HurricaneHippo

HurricaneHippo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i think that was probably too much carbs in one meal

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Iona May

Iona May · Active Member

See if you can sign up for the diabetes X-pert course. I have just completed it and its absolutely brilliant. It explains how the eat-well plate (high carb low fat) works for others but not for diabetics and how we need to stick to less than 130g carbs a day. I stick to between 30g and 50g but its what works for you. Also if you can get your hands on a carbs and cals book it will make the counting carbs much simpler. I have cut out all pasta, potatoes, rice etc and it is easier than you think once you get started with it.

8. Sax

Sax Type 2 · Well-Known Member

GI of white pasta = 42. GI of wholegrain pasta = 37. So pasta is already fairly low GI, and wholegrain pasta versus standard pasta won't make much difference. and won't solve the underlying problem of quantity of carbs hitting the bloodstream.

9. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Pasta, whether white or wholemeal is a no no for most of us, and now you too.
    Aren't the bg meters informative and useful? It will be invaluable for you for the next few weeks and months while you try lots of different foods

10. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

Oh but you could roast cauliflower or broccoli and have pancetta and pesto with it.

11. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The readings are the objective evidence that people who advise you to eat wholegrain etc are likely to put anyone who listens to them in an early grave. Try the same test after a low-carb meal of chicken and broccoli, or cauliflower cheese, or pork and cabbage etc: you will immediately see much better results.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Palmer6

Palmer6 · Newbie

Hi yes try tracking your carbs to 50g per day. Some great books out there on reversing T2 with food - good luck x

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KidDougi

KidDougi · Well-Known Member

I would disagree a little with this.
    Shortly after I was first diagnosed I started to exercise while fasting and found my BG levels would still go up significantly. I was told that the reason for this was because of my glucose reserves in my liver, (but I would now include those in my muscles too). So exercise on its own can increase your BG levels.

But beyond that I would agree that a better understanding of carb intake will help reduce the BG peeks. Along with time to use up your liver reserves.

In the first few weeks of my diagnosis my levels were spiking at 10 -16, after a meal. But as I increase my exercising and reduced my carbs I rarely go over 8, even after a relatively ‘high’ carb meal.

The biggest improvement on my BG levels, happened when I started to exercise while in a fasting state, i.e early morning, before breakfast. And yes, it was very difficult to aim towards the cross trainer instead of the breakfast bowl!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook