Newly diagnosed?

sltrog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Humm. Not sure I can class myself as newly diagnosed as for the last five years the GP has been Yes/No with the diagnosis. I was told five years ago it was prediabetes, then diabetes, then No you don't have diabetes back to last week when Yes you are pre diabetic ...or type 2.... I think... :roll:
I have a strong family history of diabetes so I am very careful what I eat and know how to minimise the risks, or so I thought. I have been told I will need a glucose tolerance test (again) to determine whether or not it is confirmed, although the GP has sent a letter to say I have type 2.
I suppose it is all to do with the fact that the surgery keeps changing it's GPs so the new ones like to do their own testing. I have not seen the diabetic nurse or any other practitioner as the GP says it is a waste of time.
Last six months have been interesting as I have had two hypo's at work (apparently not possible as I am not on medication) which ended up me being taken unconscious to hospital by ambulance - both times the readings were just above 2.
They found out I have pernicious anaemia, iron deficiency, folic deficiency, chrones disease and celiac disease (they also run in the family) and a very messed up blood system. I believe they sent a letter to my GP saying I should be referred, but the GP appears to have other ideas.
Any one else come across this?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like you do need to see an Endo. It appears you have very wide blood sugar swings; going down to 2 without diabetes medication is not normal. MODY is one variant of diabetes that results in very wide sugar swings. Although a GTT test won't do any harm it may be worth asking for an HBa1C test as this will show your sugar average over the last 3 months and is one reliable indicator for diabetes.

sltrog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.
Thank you for the message.
I had a HbA1c test at the beginning of March. It came back as IFCC standardised 62mmol/mol. Not sure what this means.
I rang the Docs, but mine is away at the moment and the nurse said I need to speak to the doctor. I have managed to get an appointment on the 5th April, so I assume it's not that bad.
I will look up MODY, and while I'm at it the IFCC as I am used to the old system my mother uses.
Many thanks
Sandra